Palworld - Pokemon clone on Game Pass next week (19th)

Discuss anything relating to Video Gaming, Tabletop Gaming, Card Games even Roleplaying.

Moderators: LikkleMel, Ali-Renegade, LilMissLarBear

Rich-Allen1976
Dark Blue Member
Dark Blue Member
Great Britain

Achievements

Post by Rich-Allen1976 » 13 Jan 2024, 10:44

Looks like a bit of a mash up of third person shooter/Pokemon style "catch 'em up", interesting concept and I'll be downloading it.

Anyone else fancy it? Apparently it's PC/Xbox exclusive.

"He's not the Messiah, he's a very naughty boy!" (Michael Palin in Monty Python's "Life of Brian")
"I am speaking UK English in a Sheffield accent!" (Me most of the time I'm on the landline or mobile)

LikkleMel
TimeLord Member
TimeLord Member
Great Britain

Post by LikkleMel » 16 Jan 2024, 19:55

Might test it out, can't deny cute animals :P
~Let our bodies lay, mark our hearts with shame
Let our blood in vain, you find God in pain~

Rich-Allen1976
Dark Blue Member
Dark Blue Member
Great Britain

Achievements

Post by Rich-Allen1976 » 17 Jan 2024, 09:37

LikkleMel wrote:
16 Jan 2024, 19:55
Might test it out, can't deny cute animals :P

PC version will be on Steam, if it's compatible on Linux (Steam games almost never are without intense faffery) I might get the PC version.
"He's not the Messiah, he's a very naughty boy!" (Michael Palin in Monty Python's "Life of Brian")
"I am speaking UK English in a Sheffield accent!" (Me most of the time I'm on the landline or mobile)

Beex
Lucky Cat Member
Lucky Cat Member
United States of America

Post by Beex » 20 Jan 2024, 23:56

It looks pretty fun.

It's a big planet. Pokemon can't be the only gaming monsters out there.

I could see myself playing this if I ever buy an Xbox.

"You mess with the cat, you get the litter!"

╱|、b
(˚ˎ 。7 e
|、˜〵 e
じしˍ,)ノx

"Beep boop meow!" - Robo-Fortune, Skullgirls

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

The goddess Eris pads her chest.- Aqua

GFX by:Ioreth

LikkleMel
TimeLord Member
TimeLord Member
Great Britain

Post by LikkleMel » 21 Jan 2024, 01:27

I heard you can make your own servers too so a bit like minecraft but pokemon?
~Let our bodies lay, mark our hearts with shame
Let our blood in vain, you find God in pain~

Rich-Allen1976
Dark Blue Member
Dark Blue Member
Great Britain

Achievements

Post by Rich-Allen1976 » 21 Jan 2024, 20:33

LikkleMel wrote:
21 Jan 2024, 01:27
I heard you can make your own servers too so a bit like minecraft but pokemon?

Possibly in the full version, at the moment it's just more or less a playable demo/early access.

Can still get the full 1K achievements on the Xbox version though.

Ali-Renegade
Standard Member
Great Britain

Achievements

Post by Ali-Renegade » 22 Jan 2024, 14:27

A truly wonderful game, they were going for a dark and edgy sort of game with this one, think if Pokemon and ARK had a baby, this would be the baby.
*VTuber - Cookies and Cream Bunny*
*Semi Famous Metaverse Musician*
*Psychology Graduate and Computer Science Enthusiast*
*Game Designer*

Rich-Allen1976
Dark Blue Member
Dark Blue Member
Great Britain

Achievements

Post by Rich-Allen1976 » 22 Jan 2024, 14:59

Right near the beginning, I got into a fight with some big thing that looked like a Dinosaur, is there a way to catch it?

Well I figured it out.

You have to build a Pal Station, to build the Pal Balls to catch stuff, and I caught some cat thing that looks like a cross between Jigglypuff and Meowth.

Rich-Allen1976
Dark Blue Member
Dark Blue Member
Great Britain

Achievements

Post by Rich-Allen1976 » 22 Jan 2024, 19:43

Also, according to footage on YouTube, Poke-fans (most of whom are no older than 15) are crying about this and saying Game Freak should sue for copyright infringement.

Sit down and give your heads a wobble, no Judge worth his Wig would say they had a case for a start.

Beex
Lucky Cat Member
Lucky Cat Member
United States of America

Post by Beex » 22 Jan 2024, 20:15

That's just kids being kids. No one's sue gonna over this. Palworld is just fine.

Also, Pokemon isn't gonna lose money. I wanna try Palworld. But even if I absolutely love it. I will still buy new Pokemon games.

Seems to me there's plenty of room for both.

"You mess with the cat, you get the litter!"

╱|、b
(˚ˎ 。7 e
|、˜〵 e
じしˍ,)ノx

"Beep boop meow!" - Robo-Fortune, Skullgirls

The goddess Eris pads her chest.- Aqua

GFX by:Ioreth

Rich-Allen1976
Dark Blue Member
Dark Blue Member
Great Britain

Achievements

Post by Rich-Allen1976 » 23 Jan 2024, 15:38

I finally got into this last night, currently my character's "starving" and died last night of hunger, I have some Berries he could eat but I can't work out how to get him to consume them?

Ojisama
Veteran Member
Great Britain

Post by Ojisama » 25 Jan 2024, 19:06

Rich-Allen1976 wrote:
22 Jan 2024, 19:43
Also, according to footage on YouTube, Poke-fans (most of whom are no older than 15) are crying about this and saying Game Freak should sue for copyright infringement.

Sit down and give your heads a wobble, no Judge worth his Wig would say they had a case for a start.

Without mentioning Palworld specifically, the Pokemon Company has released a statement.

The Pokémon Company's full statement:

Inquiries Regarding Other Companies' Games
We have received many inquiries regarding another company's game released in January 2024. We have not granted any permission for the use of Pokémon intellectual property or assets in that game. We intend to investigate and take appropriate measures to address any acts that infringe on intellectual property rights related to the Pokémon. We will continue to cherish and nurture each and every Pokémon and its world, and work to bring the world together through Pokémon in the future.

The Pokémon Company
To those just starting on the journey of life I say...
Bang your own drum. Walk your own path. Live wildly. Love fiercely. 
As you near the end, look back with no regrets.

Rich-Allen1976
Dark Blue Member
Dark Blue Member
Great Britain

Achievements

Post by Rich-Allen1976 » 25 Jan 2024, 19:34

Ojisama wrote:
25 Jan 2024, 19:06
Rich-Allen1976 wrote:

Without mentioning Palworld specifically, the Pokemon Company has released a statement.

We have received many inquiries regarding another company's game released in January 2024. We have not granted any permission for the use of Pokémon intellectual property or assets in that game. We intend to investigate and take appropriate measures to address any acts that infringe on intellectual property rights related to the Pokémon. We will continue to cherish and nurture each and every Pokémon and its world, and work to bring the world together through Pokémon in the future.

The Pokémon Company

There were 2 different Pokemon like games released on consoles and PC last year, Cassette Beasts and TemTem, and Nintendo never battered an eyelash about either of 'em.

lolin
Veteran Member
United States of America

Post by lolin » 25 Jan 2024, 20:09

Rich-Allen1976 wrote:
25 Jan 2024, 19:34
Ojisama wrote:
Rich-Allen1976 wrote:

The Pokémon Company

There were 2 different Pokemon like games released on consoles and PC last year, Cassette Beasts and TemTem, and Nintendo never battered an eyelash about either of 'em.

because they didn't steal whole models from the pokemon games and released unique creatures

it's looking like palworld straight up stole the whole polygonal model from the pokemon games and basically just make them into something "similar"

Rich-Allen1976
Dark Blue Member
Dark Blue Member
Great Britain

Achievements

Post by Rich-Allen1976 » 25 Jan 2024, 20:56

lolin wrote:
25 Jan 2024, 20:09
Rich-Allen1976 wrote:
25 Jan 2024, 19:34
Ojisama wrote:

The Pokémon Company

because they didn't steal whole models from the pokemon games and released unique creatures

it's looking like palworld straight up stole the whole polygonal model from the pokemon games and basically just make them into something "similar"

Yeah but different enough to not fall into copyright infringement traps.

Most game devs aren't daft, they know not to make game A a carbon copy of game X.