Palworld - Pokemon clone on Game Pass next week (19th)

Discuss anything relating to Video Gaming, Tabletop Gaming, Card Games even Roleplaying.

Moderators: LikkleMel, Ali-Renegade, LilMissLarBear

Beex
Lucky Cat Member
Lucky Cat Member
United States of America

Post by Beex » 25 Jan 2024, 21:05

Just to stir the pot up

This looks very much like a piplup and a whimsicott

Like they are probably related. At least first cousins. If not half siblings.

But yeah, they probably changed them enough.

"You mess with the cat, you get the litter!"

╱|、b
(˚ˎ 。7 e
|、˜〵 e
じしˍ,)ノx

"Beep boop meow!" - Robo-Fortune, Skullgirls

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

The goddess Eris pads her chest.- Aqua

GFX by:Ioreth

LikkleMel
TimeLord Member
TimeLord Member
Great Britain

Post by LikkleMel » 25 Jan 2024, 21:46

Beex wrote:
25 Jan 2024, 21:05
Just to stir the pot up

Yeh I have already heard the argument fair use and it is technically not the same, but lets be honest there was deffo inspiration from the designs. I think it is similar to like fanart isn't it in a way?
~Let our bodies lay, mark our hearts with shame
Let our blood in vain, you find God in pain~

Rich-Allen1976
Dark Blue Member
Dark Blue Member
Great Britain

Achievements

Post by Rich-Allen1976 » 26 Jan 2024, 07:50

LikkleMel wrote:
25 Jan 2024, 21:46
Beex wrote:
Just to stir the pot up

Yeh I have already heard the argument fair use and it is technically not the same, but lets be honest there was deffo inspiration from the designs. I think it is similar to like fanart isn't it in a way?

And that's the ticket, it's fanart so it's perfectly legal, Nintendo's legal team needs to sit down and shurrup.
"He's not the Messiah, he's a very naughty boy!" (Michael Palin in Monty Python's "Life of Brian")
"I am speaking UK English in a Sheffield accent!" (Me most of the time I'm on the landline or mobile)

Beex
Lucky Cat Member
Lucky Cat Member
United States of America

Post by Beex » 26 Jan 2024, 16:39

I would guess that it is not legal to profit off of fanart of copyrighted things.

But who cares?? Play what you like. It seems to be the fans(both sides) that won't shut up about it.

"You mess with the cat, you get the litter!"

╱|、b
(˚ˎ 。7 e
|、˜〵 e
じしˍ,)ノx

"Beep boop meow!" - Robo-Fortune, Skullgirls

The goddess Eris pads her chest.- Aqua

GFX by:Ioreth

Rich-Allen1976
Dark Blue Member
Dark Blue Member
Great Britain

Achievements

Post by Rich-Allen1976 » 26 Jan 2024, 17:29

Beex wrote:
26 Jan 2024, 16:39
I would guess that it is not legal to profit off of fanart of copyrighted things.

But who cares?? Play what you like. It seems to be the fans(both sides) that won't shut up about it.

What gets me about this whole thing is that Nintendo fans (most of whom are no older than 15) are blowing their minds about it, and the copium and salt from the Sony fans is off the charts! Pathetic doesn't even begin to describe these people IMO.
"He's not the Messiah, he's a very naughty boy!" (Michael Palin in Monty Python's "Life of Brian")
"I am speaking UK English in a Sheffield accent!" (Me most of the time I'm on the landline or mobile)

LilMissLarBear
Violet Member
Violet Member
Great Britain

Post by LilMissLarBear » 27 Jan 2024, 07:27

I'm on a discord server where someone asked if Nintendo would sue Palworld and idk if this is a joke or not but they were like "ohhh Nintendo never sues". Might check it out when it comes to Game Pass (if I remember lol) rn I don't have enough knowledge to make a judgement. I've seen a espurr model... Probably something that looks like a Charmander idk and that's it

Lauren
VG mod
DM me if you have any questions!

GraceMellody
Veteran Member
Great Britain

Post by GraceMellody » 30 Jan 2024, 07:23

I cannot put into words how much I want this game XD
~UK Artist, Idol & Mother~
@MelodiqueArt

Rich-Allen1976
Dark Blue Member
Dark Blue Member
Great Britain

Achievements

Post by Rich-Allen1976 » 04 Feb 2024, 14:05

Beex wrote:
Just to stir the pot up

The little Duck thing looks kinda like a smaller version of Psyduck (it's quite sad a bloke my age knows this)

Coding
Veteran Member
Australia

Achievements

Post by Coding » 04 Feb 2024, 21:28

LikkleMel wrote:
My understanding is Japan doesn't have Fair Use laws, if Nintendo wanted to take legal action against Palworld they would have done so during its 2-3 years of public development. It wouldn't even be much trouble, since both Nintendo and Pocket Pair are in Japan. Nintendo is very litigious so if they haven't done anything by now lol

Rich-Allen1976
Dark Blue Member
Dark Blue Member
Great Britain

Achievements

Post by Rich-Allen1976 » 05 Feb 2024, 07:39

Coding wrote:
04 Feb 2024, 21:28
LikkleMel wrote:
My understanding is Japan doesn't have Fair Use laws, if Nintendo wanted to take legal action against Palworld they would have done so during its 2-3 years of public development. It wouldn't even be much trouble, since both Nintendo and Pocket Pair are in Japan. Nintendo is very litigious so if they haven't done anything by now lol

And they're not gonna do, because no Lawyer worth his Pension would say they had a case.

Rich-Allen1976
Dark Blue Member
Dark Blue Member
Great Britain

Achievements

Post by Rich-Allen1976 » 08 Feb 2024, 11:49

KyrieEleison wrote:
08 Feb 2024, 09:54
I've been enjoying this game quite a bit. The combination of base-building, survival elements, and battling/capturing Pals offers a pretty fresh experience.
At first, I ran into some issues with lag and stability on public servers. I think it's because the game is new and is gaining popularity too fast. So, I decided to get my own Palworld server host. It's given me more control over the gameplay experience and has made it much easier to enjoy the game without the interruptions that come with the public servers.

The servers are expensive though, I hope you have the funds

Beerkeg
Standard Member
Estonia

Achievements

Post by Beerkeg » 08 Feb 2024, 17:27

They're not that expensive really. I'm hosting my game servers on my old PC which is a 7th gen i5 with 32GB ram and so far I can host up to 10-15 friends on any game without issues. And if you don't have an old PC, you can just rent a VPS for like 4£ per month and get pretty much the same result. The only "difficult" part is that you have to set up the server yourself, which takes about 10min. 20min max if you're follwing a step-by-step guide. Sure you can rent a game server for a specific game, but they always have dumb restrictions regarding data transmit speeds, so you'll have lag if you host more than 1 person and they're way overpriced.