Do you care about "loading screens" on games?

Discuss anything relating to Video Gaming, Tabletop Gaming, Card Games even Roleplaying.

Moderators: LikkleMel, Ali-Renegade, LilMissLarBear

Do you care about "loading screens" on modern games?

Yes
20%
No
80%

Total votes: 5

Rich-Allen1976
Dark Blue Member
Dark Blue Member
Great Britain

Achievements

Post by Rich-Allen1976 » 28 Dec 2023, 13:31

Having grown up playing games on the old ZX Spectrum 40 years ago, I couldn't less of a hoot about VERY short loading screens on modern games, at least modern games don't crash after 30 SECOND loading screens, back in the day we'd wait half an hour for a game to load off tapes and even then they'd often crash!

Thoughts? Poll.

"He's not the Messiah, he's a very naughty boy!" (Michael Palin in Monty Python's "Life of Brian")
"I am speaking UK English in a Sheffield accent!" (Me most of the time I'm on the landline or mobile)

Beerkeg
Standard Member
Estonia

Achievements

Post by Beerkeg » 28 Dec 2023, 13:51

I've got a beefy PC and a proper nvme drive so I don't really have loading screens...
When I did I didn't really mind, it was just part of playing games. The only one that did annoy me a bit was Sims 3 cause those load times were terrible, but thats mostly cause of all the bloat they've added.
I have an Amiga 500 I bought and repaired years ago, people still make games for old hardware. Some of the bigger RPGs basically re-compile the game every time you go to a new area and compiling anything on a single thread 7 Mhz processor takes an age and a half so I'm still used to load times.

Rich-Allen1976
Dark Blue Member
Dark Blue Member
Great Britain

Achievements

Post by Rich-Allen1976 » 28 Dec 2023, 14:01

On a similar note (without a seperate thread), this thing with people on social media crying about the 30 fps non-issue on various modern games! Like I said before, I grew up gaming on the 8 bits back in the 80s, where games ran at like 10 fps if you were lucky, so cry me a flippin' river about the total non-issue that's 30 fps games such as the Xbox version of Starfield.
"He's not the Messiah, he's a very naughty boy!" (Michael Palin in Monty Python's "Life of Brian")
"I am speaking UK English in a Sheffield accent!" (Me most of the time I'm on the landline or mobile)

LikkleMel
TimeLord Member
TimeLord Member
Great Britain

Post by LikkleMel » 28 Dec 2023, 22:17

I don't mind loading screens but it sometimes get silly with Call of Duty sometimes where you're waiting like 10 minutes for the game to load up.
~Let our bodies lay, mark our hearts with shame
Let our blood in vain, you find God in pain~

PharaohAtem
Atem Rank
Atem Rank
United States of America

Post by PharaohAtem » 29 Dec 2023, 17:31

LikkleClaus wrote:
28 Dec 2023, 22:17
I don't mind loading screens but it sometimes get silly with Call of Duty sometimes where you're waiting like 10 minutes for the game to load up.

Yeah that's annoying as hell. It's like really will yiu load already. I did want to throw my controller st it.

ImageImageImageImageImageImage

Rich-Allen1976
Dark Blue Member
Dark Blue Member
Great Britain

Achievements

Post by Rich-Allen1976 » 29 Dec 2023, 18:32

Gingerbread Lady wrote:
29 Dec 2023, 17:31
LikkleClaus wrote:
28 Dec 2023, 22:17

Yeah that's annoying as hell. It's like really will yiu load already. I did want to throw my controller st it.

Definitely don't do that, a few weeks ago I did, and it broke me telly so I had to get my Brother to buy me a new one for Christmas.

Beex
Lucky Cat Member
Lucky Cat Member
United States of America

Post by Beex » 31 Dec 2023, 01:30

If it's usually fast and it lags, I don't like that.

If it's usually slow and I know what to expect, it's fine.

"You mess with the cat, you get the litter!"

╱|、b
(˚ˎ 。7 e
|、˜〵 e
じしˍ,)ノx

"Beep boop meow!" - Robo-Fortune, Skullgirls

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

The goddess Eris pads her chest.- Aqua

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

GFX by:Ioreth