The Game Awards 2023 early predictions and discussion

Discuss anything relating to Video Gaming, Tabletop Gaming, Card Games even Roleplaying.

Moderators: LikkleMel, Ali-Renegade, LilMissLarBear

LilMissLarBear
Violet Member
Violet Member
Great Britain

Post by LilMissLarBear » 18 Oct 2023, 13:50

I understand it's less than 2 months to go until The Game Awards but I'm curious to what people think which games should be nominated and ultimately deserving to pick an award or two.

I've seen a few games being bounced around especially for Game of the Year award. Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom and Baulder's Gate 3 being the supposedly obvious candidates for nomination. Initially I was thinking Starfield would probably get nominated purely because of the reputable nature Bethesda has. But what do you guys think? Obviously it doesn't have to be thoughts on Game of the Year it can be from the other categories.

Share your thoughts below!

Lauren
VG mod
DM me if you have any questions!

Beerkeg
Standard Member
Estonia

Achievements

Post by Beerkeg » 18 Oct 2023, 14:07

I don't think there were any games this year that deserve Game of the Year...
Diablo 4 was the last new game I enjoyed and that thing is deader that last year's cat... So it can have the "Best comfy snowy areas in 2023" award.
Armored Core can have the "Best Sequel for a niche crowd" award.
Pikmin 4 can have "Dunkey's choice" award.
And everything else can have the "Too bland to remember" award.

And this year, the Game of the Year award goes to......
The 1995 MS-DOS release of Worms!

Rich-Allen1976
Dark Blue Member
Dark Blue Member
Great Britain

Achievements

Post by Rich-Allen1976 » 18 Oct 2023, 14:30

Game of the Year will go to Starfield, and the copium and salt from the Sony fans will be strong.
"He's not the Messiah, he's a very naughty boy!" (Michael Palin in Monty Python's "Life of Brian")
"I am speaking UK English in a Sheffield accent!" (Me most of the time I'm on the landline or mobile)

LilMissLarBear
Violet Member
Violet Member
Great Britain

Post by LilMissLarBear » 18 Oct 2023, 14:36

There have been way too many complaints about Starfield to get Game of the Year my vote would probably go to Diablo 4 or Baulder's Gate 3 even though I haven't played one and barely played the other XD I just know both were very well received. I would love Hogwarts Legacy to get a nomination but since it was released quite early in the year idk how memorable it would be to the public plus not everyone still hasn't had chance to play it with delayed release for the Switch.

Had a thought for Mobile game of the year (since I've been playing a few recently) I would probably give it to Honkai Star Rail. That's if it counts since it's also on PC too I believe. Genshin won a award last year so Honkai probably would too

Lauren
VG mod

Rich-Allen1976
Dark Blue Member
Dark Blue Member
Great Britain

Achievements

Post by Rich-Allen1976 » 18 Oct 2023, 14:41

LilMissWerebear wrote:
18 Oct 2023, 14:36
There have been way too many complaints about Starfield to get Game of the Year my vote would probably go to Diablo 4 or Baulder's Gate 3 even though I haven't played one and barely played the other XD I just know both were very well received. I would love Hogwarts Legacy to get a nomination but since it was released quite early in the year idk how memorable it would be to the public plus not everyone still hasn't had chance to play it with delayed release for the Switch.

Had a thought for Mobile game of the year (since I've been playing a few recently) I would probably give it to Honkai Star Rail. That's if it counts since it's also on PC too I believe. Genshin won a award last year so Honkai probably would too

Most of the complaints about Starfield come from Sony fans, the copium and salt is strong in these guys :D
"He's not the Messiah, he's a very naughty boy!" (Michael Palin in Monty Python's "Life of Brian")
"I am speaking UK English in a Sheffield accent!" (Me most of the time I'm on the landline or mobile)

LilMissLarBear
Violet Member
Violet Member
Great Britain

Post by LilMissLarBear » 18 Oct 2023, 14:49

richardallen1976 wrote:
18 Oct 2023, 14:41
LilMissWerebear wrote:
18 Oct 2023, 14:36

Most of the complaints about Starfield come from Sony fans, the copium and salt is strong in these guys :D

Well... Not just that. In classic Bethesda style it's been buggy as heck even when I play it now I get issues so clearly no efforts to patch the game to date. Also not sure if this is specifically related to the game or if it was a hardware issue but my saves were entirely wiped too- I'm in Starfield overkill rn so I don't feel like starting again! Then there's players saying they just got bored easily which after a while I agree, it's just base, kill, capture, repeat for the most part. It's not just Sony fans it's the general public saying these things.

Not to mention that Sony have nothing to cry about when they are about to release Spiderman-2 (another potential Game of the Year nominee assuming it releases in time *and* does well). And that would probably do better than Starfield anyway if it's going to be as good as the last Spider-Man. So my advice to Sony would be to mind their own business :roll:

Lauren
VG mod

Beerkeg
Standard Member
Estonia

Achievements

Post by Beerkeg » 18 Oct 2023, 15:06

Not sure why all the hate towards Sony fans from the Xbox kiddies, but hey, thats just console people things. I said as one of the PC Elite :P

Also theres no way Starfield is getting any awards, with its popularity decreasing rapidly, when the awards happen it'll have fewer players than Skyrim....

As for Honkai Star Rail, really no clue if it's any good, been skipping lots of sponsorship ads for it, so I can't be that good... But mobile games have their own award so I guess it could go to that if the mobile version came out this year.

Hogwarts Legacy, probably not. I mean it looked neat and it tickled HP fans, but I don't think it had enough to offer people who weren't HP fans. Haven't played it, but I did like that it gave me a ton of entertainment when it launched.

lolin
Veteran Member
United States of America

Post by lolin » 18 Oct 2023, 16:51

GotY will probably be zelda or balder's gate 3

LilMissLarBear
Violet Member
Violet Member
Great Britain

Post by LilMissLarBear » 18 Oct 2023, 18:18

Oooooo I heard Zelda was really good. I feel like barely any GotY winner come from Nintendo. Could be wrong but still, would be nice to see Nintendo games pick up some awards that's not best family game or something lol

Lauren
VG mod

Beerkeg
Standard Member
Estonia

Achievements

Post by Beerkeg » 19 Oct 2023, 07:52

Are exclusives even eligible for GotY? Can't recall any exclusives that have won in the past. I mean it'd make sense that they're not eligible cause if they're using a game to push hardware, they're not really selling the game...

LilMissLarBear
Violet Member
Violet Member
Great Britain

Post by LilMissLarBear » 19 Oct 2023, 08:24

I'm not entirely sure the rules are for the nominations but I believe past winners were not exclusives. You had Elden Ring, It takes two, Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice, Last of Us Part 2- all non exclusives

Lauren
VG mod

Rich-Allen1976
Dark Blue Member
Dark Blue Member
Great Britain

Achievements

Post by Rich-Allen1976 » 19 Oct 2023, 09:55

LilMissWerebear wrote:
19 Oct 2023, 08:24
I'm not entirely sure the rules are for the nominations but I believe past winners were not exclusives. You had Elden Ring, It takes two, Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice, Last of Us Part 2- all non exclusives

Actually TLOU was PS exclusive.

LilMissLarBear
Violet Member
Violet Member
Great Britain

Post by LilMissLarBear » 19 Oct 2023, 09:56

richardallen1976 wrote:
19 Oct 2023, 09:55
LilMissWerebear wrote:
19 Oct 2023, 08:24

Actually TLOU was PS exclusive.

Ah was it? I stand corrected then apologies. Probably answers the question then. Looks like exclusives can win GoTY. If not then I imagine they will go on to win other awards.

Lauren
VG mod

LilMissLarBear
Violet Member
Violet Member
Great Britain

Post by LilMissLarBear » 31 Oct 2023, 17:21

Adding Just Dance 2024 for the nominee predictions for Best Family Game just for how far its come since Ubisoft first created the Just Dance games. It has a killer story mode and all the maps, dance coaches, effects are just spot on. This game has just topped it all off for all the games

Lauren
VG mod

LikkleMel
TimeLord Member
TimeLord Member
Great Britain

Post by LikkleMel » 11 Nov 2023, 01:23

Going to throw in Spider Man 2? I'll be honest it isn't amazing, but it wouldn't surprise me if it is up there considering the sales
~Let our bodies lay, mark our hearts with shame
Let our blood in vain, you find God in pain~