Stick drift on a wireless Xbox One controller - How to fix?

Discuss anything relating to Video Gaming, Tabletop Gaming, Card Games even Roleplaying.

Moderators: LikkleMel, Ali-Renegade, LilMissLarBear

Rich-Allen1976
Dark Blue Member
Dark Blue Member
Great Britain

Achievements

Post by Rich-Allen1976 » 13 Jun 2023, 16:26

Above.

I tried to sell an old controller at CEX this afternoon, they tested it and said the left stick has a bit of stick drift so they wouldn't take it.

I realise I could chuck it on eBay, mention the problem and lower the price a bit so someone can maybe fix it, but can anyone help me fix it to get a bit more money for it?

I am aware of Google.

"He's not the Messiah, he's a very naughty boy!" (Michael Palin in Monty Python's "Life of Brian")
"I am speaking UK English in a Sheffield accent!" (Me most of the time I'm on the landline or mobile)

LilMissLarBear
Violet Member
Violet Member
Great Britain

Post by LilMissLarBear » 13 Jun 2023, 19:25

This has happened on my switch joysticks and to some extent on my pro controller. I've read somewhere that it can do that if is all dusty underneath or something but I would probably fact check it since I sort of heard about that through the grapevine.

Lauren
VG mod
DM me if you have any questions!

Beerkeg
Standard Member
Estonia

Achievements

Post by Beerkeg » 13 Jun 2023, 19:37

Well you don't really "fix" stick drift. You fix the controller. Controllers are consumable items. The stick module is just 2 potentiometers combined into a block, but there are plastic bits inside which get worn down over time and the sticks start giving faulty feedback. The way you fix it is just replace the faulty stick module. You can sometimes buy the stick modules in bulk for cheap. Its worth it to fix it if you're going to keep the controller, not really worth it if you're selling it.
And yeah they can just be dirty, but there isn't really a way to clean them. You can try to lubricate them with some light oil and hope it cleans up.