Should Games be ported to the Switch?

Discuss anything relating to Video Gaming, Tabletop Gaming, Card Games even Roleplaying.

Moderators: LikkleMel, Ali-Renegade, LilMissLarBear

LikkleMel
TimeLord Member
TimeLord Member
Great Britain

Post by LikkleMel » 01 May 2023, 23:17

Considering the hardware of the switch is considerably lower than other consoles. Should Games meant for consoles such as Xbox and PS be ported to the Switch when it wasn't designed for that console?

For example, I have a hard time playing Crash Bandicoot on the Switch because the hitboxes aren't quite the same and the controls feel slightly off and delayed. 

I know Disney Dreamlight Valley has a ton more glitches and crashes due to the system not being able to run the game as it is a massive file at the moment. Similar to FNAF Security Breach (though that game is a mess on its own anyway).

What do you think?

~Let our bodies lay, mark our hearts with shame
Let our blood in vain, you find God in pain~

lolin
Veteran Member
United States of America

Post by lolin » 01 May 2023, 23:56

port everything to the switch

Rich-Allen1976
Dark Blue Member
Dark Blue Member
Great Britain

Achievements

Post by Rich-Allen1976 » 02 May 2023, 13:19

LikkleMel wrote:
01 May 2023, 23:17
Considering the hardware of the switch is considerably lower than other consoles. Should Games meant for consoles such as Xbox and PS be ported to the Switch when it wasn't designed for that console?

For example, I have a hard time playing Crash Bandicoot on the Switch because the hitboxes aren't quite the same and the controls feel slightly off and delayed.

I know Disney Dreamlight Valley has a ton more glitches and crashes due to the system not being able to run the game as it is a massive file at the moment. Similar to FNAF Security Breach (though that game is a mess on its own anyway).

What do you think?

Pains me to say this but console hardware for Nintendo in general hasn't really improved much since the N64 back in the late 90s, on the contrary it's kind of gone backwards to SNES level 16 bit graphics, don't get me wrong there's still a market for that, but people are already crying about certain games running at 30 fps on Xbox etc...

I just think Nintendo needs to get with the times and stop relying on endless Mario games and Pokemon "colours", or even Zelda games to remain relevant.
"He's not the Messiah, he's a very naughty boy!" (Michael Palin in Monty Python's "Life of Brian")
"I am speaking UK English in a Sheffield accent!" (Me most of the time I'm on the landline or mobile)

LilMissLarBear
Violet Member
Violet Member
Great Britain

Post by LilMissLarBear » 03 May 2023, 08:35

Despite being a computing student I'm not entirely knowledgeable on hardware but like what richard said it hasnt changed for years but cant one just remodel the existing nintendo console to accomodate for new hardware? In terms of the nintendo games dont fix whats not broken, right? Sadly with the port idea I think the Steam deck is going to beat the Switch to it. I believe it has the capacity for it after all...

Lauren
VG mod
DM me if you have any questions!

Beerkeg
Standard Member
Estonia

Achievements

Post by Beerkeg » 03 May 2023, 12:01

Well the switch uses a 64bit ARM processor. They're low power consumption and low output such as the ones you can find in your phone. Problem with the ARM processors is they aren't very good at computing compared to multi-core x64. Its in the name, they're RISC.They're single core so no multi-threading(Well... you can multi-thread on arm or even 16bit microprocessors, but most don't bother and it has its downsides). While the single core is still fast, you are still managing your stack in a single thread where as the x64 architecture can do several at once.
The problem with porting is simple. ARM64 instruction set isn't the same as the x64 instruction set so the games wont simply run on that architecture. Most games are written in high level code and then compiled down to lower levels (in code the lower the level, the more efficient it is i.e. assembly > C++). You have to write another compiler to work with the ARM instruction set and then you have to fix a lot of the code for your game so you can make it run efficiently enough to be playable at say 30fps. This extra work is why you don't get a lot of new high-end games on the switch because some games would have to be completely rewritten to even have a chance at running on ARM a lot of assets have to be remade and rebaked to be less detailed which means your textures and bumpmapping has to be redone. Most of the time its too much work to bother and well... games still sell hardware. If you really want to play a game then you will eventually buy the thing you can play it on.

Rich-Allen1976
Dark Blue Member
Dark Blue Member
Great Britain

Achievements

Post by Rich-Allen1976 » 18 May 2023, 12:08

LilMissLarBear wrote:
03 May 2023, 08:35
Despite being a computing student I'm not entirely knowledgeable on hardware but like what richard said it hasnt changed for years but cant one just remodel the existing nintendo console to accomodate for new hardware? In terms of the nintendo games dont fix whats not broken, right? Sadly with the port idea I think the Steam deck is going to beat the Switch to it. I believe it has the capacity for it after all...

The problem with the Steam Deck is that it currently prices most people out of the market for one at £699 IMO, for that kind of money you could almost get a Desktop PC that'd run most current games.
"He's not the Messiah, he's a very naughty boy!" (Michael Palin in Monty Python's "Life of Brian")
"I am speaking UK English in a Sheffield accent!" (Me most of the time I'm on the landline or mobile)

LilMissLarBear
Violet Member
Violet Member
Great Britain

Post by LilMissLarBear » 19 May 2023, 20:44

Well in order to have the capacity to run PC games the steam deck must have a similar spec to a PC right? I dont think there is meant to be a competition price wise (and why would valve compete with themselves between PC and steam deck it just makes no sense to me), i genuinely think its a case of giving people the option to have games handheld or not. I know someone who owns one and she has told me it does a bit more than play games so I guess its just personal preference.

Lauren
VG mod
DM me if you have any questions!

GraceMellody
Veteran Member
Great Britain

Post by GraceMellody » 22 May 2023, 09:31

simple games i'd love to see more ports of (a la katamari) but if the hardware cries when it loads pokemon's skybox I don't think modern AAA titles need porting XD
~UK Artist, Idol & Mother~
@MelodiqueArt

Rich-Allen1976
Dark Blue Member
Dark Blue Member
Great Britain

Achievements

Post by Rich-Allen1976 » 22 May 2023, 09:34

GraceMellody wrote:
22 May 2023, 09:31
simple games i'd love to see more ports of (a la katamari) but if the hardware cries when it loads pokemon's skybox I don't think modern AAA titles need porting XD

Given the age range of Nintendo's target audience, modern AAA games wouldn't sell anyway :D

GraceMellody
Veteran Member
Great Britain

Post by GraceMellody » 22 May 2023, 09:35

richardallen1976 wrote:
22 May 2023, 09:34
GraceMellody wrote:

Given the age range of Nintendo's target audience, modern AAA games wouldn't sell anyway :D
Or they would and there'd be a lot of angry parents XD
~UK Artist, Idol & Mother~
@MelodiqueArt

Rich-Allen1976
Dark Blue Member
Dark Blue Member
Great Britain

Achievements

Post by Rich-Allen1976 » 22 May 2023, 09:37

GraceMellody wrote:
22 May 2023, 09:35
richardallen1976 wrote:
22 May 2023, 09:34
GraceMellody wrote:

Or they would and there'd be a lot of angry parents XD

Yep, some people want to play stuff like COD (Call of Duty) on a Nintendo console, never gonna happen, COD is 18 rated for very good reason, oh yeah I know kids who shouldn't, do actually play it, without strict adult supervision, but that's on the Parents IMO.

Beex
Lucky Cat Member
Lucky Cat Member
United States of America

Post by Beex » 24 May 2023, 00:37

Everything is the parents fault. Lol

I wish there were more Switch ports on Android.

"You mess with the cat, you get the litter!"

╱|、b
(˚ˎ 。7 e
|、˜〵 e
じしˍ,)ノx

"Beep boop meow!" - Robo-Fortune, Skullgirls

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

The goddess Eris pads her chest.- Aqua

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

GFX by:Ioreth

Noodle
Nostalgic Move
Nostalgic Move
United States of America

Post by Noodle » 24 May 2023, 02:30

Nintendo should stick with playing the simple games tbh. Playing Overwatch is a pain on the Switch. lol.
A Guide to Noodle:
♥ Koreaboo ♥
♥ Loves: Cute things. HyunA. Candy. HyunA. Yep pretty much love HyunA. ♥

♥ Get me on Skype @ SunnyD.89 ♥
♥ Join us in Crazy League! We don't bite! ♥
♥ Birb birb birb ;3 ♥