Would a VR headset be compatible to an Ubuntu or Linux Penguin PC?

Discuss anything relating to Video Gaming, Tabletop Gaming, Card Games even Roleplaying.

Moderators: LikkleMel, Ali-Renegade, LilMissLarBear

Rich-Allen1976
Dark Blue Member
Dark Blue Member
Great Britain

Achievements

Post by Rich-Allen1976 » 01 May 2023, 15:01

Above.

I'm considering one of the HTC ones, and before I spend £300 on one, would it work and are the games any good, and does the VR itself cause headaches during long periods of use?

I am aware of Google.

I just thought I'd ask for general opinions.

"He's not the Messiah, he's a very naughty boy!" (Michael Palin in Monty Python's "Life of Brian")
"I am speaking UK English in a Sheffield accent!" (Me most of the time I'm on the landline or mobile)

Beerkeg
Standard Member
Estonia

Achievements

Post by Beerkeg » 02 May 2023, 15:37

My HTC Vive Cosmos works on my Arch linux machine, but it takes a lot of configuring. Most games themselves don't run in native linux so you have to emulate them and getting HTC drivers to work in passthrough mode is a solid 2 days of troubleshooting. If you don't know how to code and if you don't know how linux works then it'll take you months to learn and set up so I'd say don't get it if you intend to use it on linux.
As for headaches, it depends on the person, there is no way to tell if you'll get them or not so if possible try it out somewhere, I'm not sure if UK has those gaming centre things where you can go and pay to use it there.