Are there any games on Steam that actually work on Linux?

Discuss anything relating to Video Gaming, Tabletop Gaming, Card Games even Roleplaying.

Moderators: LikkleMel, Ali-Renegade, LilMissLarBear

Rich-Allen1976
Dark Blue Member
Dark Blue Member
Great Britain

Achievements

Post by Rich-Allen1976 » 03 Mar 2023, 11:52

Above.

I bought the full version of TemTem on there this morning, tried to download it, it's not compatible with my Linux box, however, I successfully managed to get a full refund of the 40 quid I paid on Paypal for it.

So I don't make the same mistake again, other than the demo of Cassette Beasts Fusion, and eventually the full version of that possibly, are there any good full games that actually work on the Linux version of Steam?

I am aware of Google and use it frequently.

"He's not the Messiah, he's a very naughty boy!" (Michael Palin in Monty Python's "Life of Brian")
"I am speaking UK English in a Sheffield accent!" (Me most of the time I'm on the landline or mobile)

Ojisama
Veteran Member
Great Britain

Post by Ojisama » 03 Mar 2023, 13:01

I don't know if this is of any help?

I found this by going to the steam website, and typing "Linux compatible" in the search bar. The random titles I pulled up all had linux developers listed, so theoretically should work.
To those just starting on the journey of life I say...
Bang your own drum. Walk your own path. Live wildly. Love fiercely. 
As you near the end, look back with no regrets.

Rich-Allen1976
Dark Blue Member
Dark Blue Member
Great Britain

Achievements

Post by Rich-Allen1976 » 03 Mar 2023, 13:44

Thanks big man, I'll have a look.

This is getting annoying, I searched for "Linux compatible", found a game and bought it for £18, it's not compatible.

So I've had to request a refund!
"He's not the Messiah, he's a very naughty boy!" (Michael Palin in Monty Python's "Life of Brian")
"I am speaking UK English in a Sheffield accent!" (Me most of the time I'm on the landline or mobile)

Ojisama
Veteran Member
Great Britain

Post by Ojisama » 03 Mar 2023, 15:22

I don't mean to be rude, but are you buying the correct version? I noticed that some of the games I pulled up had different developers for the Linux version.

Rich-Allen1976
Dark Blue Member
Dark Blue Member
Great Britain

Achievements

Post by Rich-Allen1976 » 03 Mar 2023, 15:54

That probably is an issue.

I'll have another look, I'm not really sure what to look for though.

Ojisama
Veteran Member
Great Britain

Post by Ojisama » 03 Mar 2023, 16:35

I seem to recall you mentioning Ubuntu in a previous post.

You could try contacting "Full Circle" Magazine, which is a free PDF format magazine dedicated to Ubuntu Linux.

Rich-Allen1976
Dark Blue Member
Dark Blue Member
Great Britain

Achievements

Post by Rich-Allen1976 » 03 Mar 2023, 16:55

Ojisama wrote:
03 Mar 2023, 16:35
I seem to recall you mentioning Ubuntu in a previous post.

You could try contacting "Full Circle" Magazine, which is a free PDF format magazine dedicated to Ubuntu Linux.

I do have Ubuntu at my Parents, at the Flat it's Linux Penguin, a bit different.

I did manage to download and get Blender to work though to create 2D and 3D models, and I've ordered a beginners book on Amazon to learn the software.

drill
Veteran Member
United States of America

Achievements

Post by drill » 07 Mar 2023, 21:39

For Linux, https://www.protondb.com/ is a great site to reference for compatibility. As TemTem is listed as working there, you might want to make sure you go to steam settings and under "Steam Play" make sure "Enable Steam Play for all other titles" is enabled. You might also want to switch to Proton Experimental that is listed right under that option.

Rich-Allen1976
Dark Blue Member
Dark Blue Member
Great Britain

Achievements

Post by Rich-Allen1976 » 08 Mar 2023, 15:26

drill wrote:
07 Mar 2023, 21:39
For Linux, https://www.protondb.com/ is a great site to reference for compatibility. As TemTem is listed as working there, you might want to make sure you go to steam settings and under "Steam Play" make sure "Enable Steam Play for all other titles" is enabled. You might also want to switch to Proton Experimental that is listed right under that option.

If I get back to the Flat this weekend (nasty weather in UK at the moment) I'll have a look.