Look after your STEAM DECK & SWITCH as temperatures rise.

Discuss anything relating to Video Gaming, Tabletop Gaming, Card Games even Roleplaying.

Moderators: LikkleMel, Ali-Renegade, LilMissLarBear

Ojisama
Veteran Member
Great Britain

Post by Ojisama » 16 Jul 2022, 20:53

With an ongoing heatwave in the UK and across Europe, Nintendo have issued a warning to all SWITCH users.

Use in temperatures between 5C - 35C

With temperatures due to exceed 35C through the weekend and early next week. Keeping your SWITCH cool becomes important. The internal parts of your SWITCH will be even hotter.

Ensure good ventilation and air flow through the inlet and outlet ports.

Clean dust and other foreign matter out of the ports using a vacuum cleaner. When using in TV mode, ensure the docking station has a free flow of air, and is away from heat. Since most people tend to put the docking port next to the TV, they may need to think about moving it, as the TV itself will become a source of heat.

Under no circumstances should you attempt to disassemble the main unit.

This one speaks for itself I think. It will void any warranty, and could result in injury.

If the main unit becomes too hot, it will go to sleep to prevent damage.

So if your SWITCH dies mid-game, it is probably taking a nap, so don't have a fit and start mashing the buttons. Put it down somewhere out of direct sunlight, on a hard surface with good ventilation. (No, not inside the fridge!)

All of the above is probably good advice to other console and PC users as well. Now may be a good time to give your units a good dusting and don't forget their surroundings as well. Why not improve airflow with a small fan if you have one.
To those just starting on the journey of life I say...
Bang your own drum. Walk your own path. Live wildly. Love fiercely. 
As you near the end, look back with no regrets.

lolin
Veteran Member
United States of America

Look after your SWITCH as temperatures rise.

Post by lolin » 16 Jul 2022, 22:29

We're moving across the country and my Switch is going to be my main source of entertainment, or at least that's what I have planned, so this is pretty crucial for me to keep in mind... Thanks

LikkleMel
TimeLord Member
TimeLord Member
Great Britain

Post by LikkleMel » 16 Jul 2022, 23:06

I heard about that so I'll be playing ps5 :P hopefully that won't blow up
~Let our bodies lay, mark our hearts with shame
Let our blood in vain, you find God in pain~

GraceMellody
Veteran Member
Great Britain

Post by GraceMellody » 18 Jul 2022, 15:08

Been a loooong time since ive seen any electronic device turn itself off because of heat. Really is a heatwave lol
~UK Artist, Idol & Mother~
@MelodiqueArt

Ojisama
Veteran Member
Great Britain

Post by Ojisama » 21 Jul 2022, 15:32

Steam have just posted much the same advice about their STEAM DECK.

Operates best between 0C and 35C, but will throttle back if it gets to hot, ending with a complete shut down if the processor reaches temperatures around 100C.

Now then, 100C sounds an unlikely temperature to reach (It is boiling point after all), but Steam says that it is completely possible if the unit isn't being cooled properly. The internal temperature of the deck is much higher than air temps, and users must be aware that overheating is a distinct possibility.

So if your game starts to lag it may be a good idea to switch off and let it cool down for a while.
To those just starting on the journey of life I say...
Bang your own drum. Walk your own path. Live wildly. Love fiercely. 
As you near the end, look back with no regrets.