Does anyone else hate the battle system in Paper Mario: The Origami King?

Discuss anything relating to Video Gaming, Tabletop Gaming, Card Games even Roleplaying.

Moderators: LikkleMel, Ali-Renegade, LilMissLarBear

Jongriffin
Standard Member
United States of America

Achievements

Does anyone else hate the battle system in Paper Mario: The Origami King?

Post by Jongriffin » 09 Mar 2022, 02:52

There is so much I love about Paper Mario: The Origami King. I love the humor, the music, the art, the searching out for the missing toads, the paper powers. But what is ruining it for me is the battle system. I hate it. I hate lining up the enemies, especially when it comes to boss battles. I find the boss battle with the colored pencils so annoying and not the least bit fun. 

I don't know why I don't find the battle system enjoyable. I highly enjoy puzzles. I love games like The Adventures of Lolo, My Brother Rabbit, LemmingsFire & Ice, and the Sierra and Lucasarts games. But something about the puzzle element of the battle system really bothers me in the Origami King. Maybe it's the time limit. I hate it! I feel stressed, like I can't properly think it through. Granted, Fire & Ice has a time limit on some of its boss fights, but something about Origami King's time limit bothers me. 

I can't fully enjoy the game because of this. Am I the only one who feels this way?