Fighting game recommendation

Discuss anything relating to Video Gaming, Tabletop Gaming, Card Games even Roleplaying.

Moderators: LikkleMel, Ali-Renegade, LilMissLarBear

Celron_Miles
Great Britain

Achievements

Post by Celron_Miles » 19 Jun 2021, 08:10

Recently I've gotten invested in Tekken 7 (loved the series since Tekken 3 on ps1 but stopped playing for a long while), after getting it on steam discount. But whenever I play online I feel like I'm playing the same people over and over again. Is it that way in all fighting games or is Tekken getting stale? And if anyone could recommend me any other games like that it would be great.

P.S. Was thinking of trying out Guilty Gear Strive but I'm still doing my research.

Nishizono Shinji
Veteran Member
Great Britain

Achievements

Post by Nishizono Shinji » 19 Jun 2021, 22:59

Injustice 2 is fantastic! Play it, love it. Thank me later.

Killer Instinct is free on Game Pass and definitely worth playing.

MK 11 is in my opinion the best Mortal Kombat game that isn't on the SNES.

Naruto Ultimate Ninja Storm 4 is hella fun especially if you're a fan of the anime, even if you're not it's a well balanced fun beat em up.

Soul Calibur is often touted as being one of the best in the genre. I haven't played much after IV but from what little I have played and seen over the last couple years its still a contender for sure.
Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

LilMissLarBear
Violet Member
Violet Member
Great Britain

Post by LilMissLarBear » 21 Jun 2021, 17:06

Mortal Kombat, specifically 11 seems to be the obvious choice for me personally. There are a few of similar layout if thats more your thing like Street Fighter if you like the classic faves. Not sure if you would count Hack n Slash games as fighting but theres loads out there to even give a summarised list so it might be worth browsing around for those kinds of fighting games if you want something that doesn't look like a version of Tekken or MK.

Lauren
VG mod
DM me if you have any questions!

Angelic Prime
Veteran Member
Great Britain

Achievements

Post by Angelic Prime » 22 Jun 2021, 08:25

I havent played any for a while, but im really partial to Blazblue, got Cross Tag Battle and really enjoyed it, but i also love RWBY and Persona so it just worked out for me,

So as its made by the same devs id reccomend Guilty Gear Strive, but i havent personally tried it myself.

Nishizono Shinji
Veteran Member
Great Britain

Achievements

Post by Nishizono Shinji » 02 Jul 2021, 09:34

I would also be remiss if I didn't mention Dragon Ball Fighter Z an excellent installment in a stacked franchise of DBZ fighting games.
Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

Revillo Phoenix
Red Member
Red Member
Great Britain

Achievements

Post by Revillo Phoenix » 03 Jul 2021, 06:47

Well, fighting games are a fairly niche genre do to the height of the skill ceiling. Most fighting games dwindle in player base fast cause people that can't keep up in skill just quit cause losing non stop is frustrating. Even playing with friends can be hard which is the motivational force behind team games like MOBAs or FPS games, since you can only play against your friends, and if your skill level doesn't happen to be the same, or someone simply gets better faster, it again becomes frustrating for the losing side to just keep getting pummelled over and over again. If you don't mind pushing thru all that, I personally am very excited for the new instalment of Melty Blood that will be coming out sometime in the not too distant future. I've played the older versions for like 10 years with my friends as our regular weekend activity.
Feel free to chat with me in PM or especially Discord

melanch0lic
Veteran Member
Great Britain

Achievements

Post by melanch0lic » 03 Jul 2021, 07:12

Marvel vs. Capcom 2 and/or Street Fighter: 3rd Strike - the fact that neither of these have been mentioned yet is a complete surprise D:
Anime-Planet.com - anime | manga | watch anime online

Celron_Miles
Great Britain

Achievements

Post by Celron_Miles » 03 Jul 2021, 09:17

Thank you everyone for the recommendations! I will be checking out each and every game you recommended here (at least their steam pages lol). RIght now I'm keeping up with my training arc in Tekken 7, but I will most definitely check out other games.

PS. @Revillo Phoenix Love the Ayame avatar!

Revillo Phoenix
Red Member
Red Member
Great Britain

Achievements

Post by Revillo Phoenix » 03 Jul 2021, 14:20

Celron_Miles wrote:
03 Jul 2021, 09:17
Thank you everyone for the recommendations! I will be checking out each and every game you recommended here (at least their steam pages lol). RIght now I'm keeping up with my training arc in Tekken 7, but I will most definitely check out other games.

PS. @Revillo Phoenix Love the Ayame avatar!

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Yo Da Yo
am I seeing a fellow Nakkiri Gumi here?

In terms of Melty, not much to check out, YET

we got a nice trailer
the game is based on the underrated Visual Novel of Type Moon called Tsukihime. The creators of the Fate series. Actually they made this before they made Fate. Unfortunately with the explosive success of fate, Nasu, the head of Type-moon, admitted that he wanted to hammer the iron while it's hot and ignored his other creations a little to cash in on Fate, but finally now he thinks it's been long enough, the Tsukihime VN is getting a remake, since the old one really shows that back than he was but an indie creator and with it we also finally get a new instalment of Melty, which Melty was originally a fan made indie game too, but it went over well enough that Nasu highered those fans back in the day to make more. Those fans went on to make Under Night In-Birth later along with Arc System Works, and when you talk anime 2D fighters, you talk Arc System Works, they own pretty much all of the big names.

Celron_Miles
Great Britain

Achievements

Post by Celron_Miles » 03 Jul 2021, 20:39

@Revillo Phoenix I don't think theres anyone that doesnt love Ojou. Her docchi docchi song is like cancer cure. But I'm mainly a Takodachi, and part of Tokoyami Family second, but still Ojou holds a special place in my heart.
I knew about the old history of Melty, but I actually never played it. Will most definitely try it out if I get a chance.

Revillo Phoenix
Red Member
Red Member
Great Britain

Achievements

Post by Revillo Phoenix » 04 Jul 2021, 04:59

@Celron_Miles Not sure how going off topic is viewed here so I don't know if we should move this to somewhere else.

Nishizono Shinji
Veteran Member
Great Britain

Achievements

Post by Nishizono Shinji » 08 Jul 2021, 09:50

Revillo Phoenix wrote:
04 Jul 2021, 04:59
@Celron_Miles Not sure how going off topic is viewed here so I don't know if we should move this to somewhere else.
Start a thread and discuss to your heart's content 😉

Revillo Phoenix
Red Member
Red Member
Great Britain

Achievements

Post by Revillo Phoenix » 08 Jul 2021, 14:26

Nishizono Shinji wrote:
08 Jul 2021, 09:50
Revillo Phoenix wrote:
04 Jul 2021, 04:59
Start a thread and discuss to your heart's content 😉
Call me blind but I don't see it *hides*

Nishizono Shinji
Veteran Member
Great Britain

Achievements

Post by Nishizono Shinji » 18 Jul 2021, 17:53

There's an excellent game on the PSX/1 called Rival Schools never got the recognition it deserved also Bloody Roar was of the same generation and was superb. If you have access to an old school console or emulator I highly recommend both of these.

Revillo Phoenix
Red Member
Red Member
Great Britain

Achievements

Post by Revillo Phoenix » 18 Jul 2021, 23:09

Protag-kun of melty blood got a gameplay trailer: