No More Digitally Purchased PS3, PSP, or Vita Games After July

Discuss anything relating to Video Gaming, Tabletop Gaming, Card Games even Roleplaying.

Moderators: LikkleMel, Ali-Renegade, LilMissLarBear

Emotive
Nostalgic Move
Nostalgic Move
United States of America

Post by Emotive » 25 Mar 2021, 22:33

https://www.thegamer.com/ps3-vita-psp-s ... ly-closed/

I mean, why? Things like that announcement just make me want to give up gaming tbh. It's the only way I've been able to get my games since I can't really get out much and now that I can't buy a game as frequently as I used to was frustrating enough, but now with this pandemic if I want a game after July I have to order the ridiculously over-priced physical copies. Well, it might be what kicks me into anime more though. 

What is everyone else's thoughts about it?

PharaohAtem
Atem Rank
Atem Rank
United States of America

Post by PharaohAtem » 26 Mar 2021, 02:11

Not surprising giving the older machines they wanting to focus on newer stuff. I'm sure those who have them will get annoyed though.

ImageImageImageImageImageImage

Nethack
Hacked Member
Hacked Member
United States of America

Post by Nethack » 26 Mar 2021, 02:23

Im still astonished that the PSP and Vita still exist tbh, let alone the fact that there were digital games for them.

PharaohAtem
Atem Rank
Atem Rank
United States of America

Post by PharaohAtem » 26 Mar 2021, 18:28

Nethack wrote:
26 Mar 2021, 02:23
Im still astonished that the PSP and Vita still exist tbh, let alone the fact that there were digital games for them.

yeah, i have one but i haven't played one in years i guess because i have a ps4. the Vita was flop for playstaion really. Handhelds do hold out though and i'm sure there devising something considering how nintendo's doing so well with their switch.

ImageImageImageImageImageImage

GraceMellody
Veteran Member
Great Britain

Post by GraceMellody » 26 Mar 2021, 18:36

Eh, makes sense. Two generations old now.
~UK Artist, Idol & Mother~
@MelodiqueArt

Dangerous_D
Standard Member
United States of America

Achievements

Post by Dangerous_D » 27 Mar 2021, 06:03

well that F'ing blows cause I still play stuff on my PS3

Emotive
Nostalgic Move
Nostalgic Move
United States of America

Post by Emotive » 27 Mar 2021, 06:42

I still play a lot of my PS3 too, so it's definitely a letdown to hear that. I even had plans on getting more Vita games but won't be able to get them all from the Vita digital store like I planned in such a short time from now. It's so disappointing. :rage:

Nishizono Shinji
Veteran Member
Great Britain

Achievements

Post by Nishizono Shinji » 27 Mar 2021, 14:52

This is just how it goes. Providing a digital store front for consoles that are going obsolete makes no sense from a business perspective. If the demand was high enough they would continue to support it but clearly not enough people are buying digital copies of games on those platforms.
Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

Kai
Veteran Member
Great Britain

Achievements

Post by Kai » 27 Mar 2021, 18:23

Emotive Spirit wrote:
25 Mar 2021, 22:33
https://www.thegamer.com/ps3-vita-psp-s ... ly-closed/

I mean, why? Things like that announcement just make me want to give up gaming tbh. It's the only way I've been able to get my games since I can't really get out much and now that I can't buy a game as frequently as I used to was frustrating enough, but now with this pandemic if I want a game after July I have to order the ridiculously over-priced physical copies. Well, it might be what kicks me into anime more though.

What is everyone else's thoughts about it?
The first nail in the coffin has been in there for 2 years already. there was some follow-up speculation about emulation after a leaked patent emerged but Sony doesn't really like that method because they won't be able to afford individual licensing in the long run, and some games gets left in limbo. I'm not impressed by Microsoft's Virtual Machine method of their retro games because some games are already a write off. I miss the BC method Sony started with the PS2 because most PS1 games just worked. Same with Nintendo with the Wii and Gamecube. I think Sony will try to add more retro games to PS Now but maybe not, IDK :shrug:

Anyways, I think I more or less got what I want from those stores
Image Image Image
Anime-Planet.com - anime | manga | watch anime onlinel
Feel free to take a look and add/Follow me!

"I'm the one who decides my fate, even if I have to will that fate into existence. Make sure to never forget that." - Fang

Baul
White Member
White Member
Great Britain

Achievements

Post by Baul » 02 Apr 2021, 21:02

Just CFW your stuff and hit the seven seas. Its pretty easy. Just dont hit the online stuff.

Companies wonder why people pirate, yet they're constantly making things worse for the paying customer. Through garbage DRM, shutting stores and all that.

Like nintendo only making that Mario anniversary collection a limited run. Its like they WANT people to pirate.
Mark my words
They will be gone
You'll see them playing games, my dear
They've moved along
Cause one day in the afterlife
We'll meet again
Prophecies - Blind Guardian

Emotive
Nostalgic Move
Nostalgic Move
United States of America

Post by Emotive » 02 Apr 2021, 21:12

Or just wanting to make a profit while masquerading an appearance of wanting and caring to know what the players want and enjoy. I mean, that's what it's starting to seem like anyway but I hope I'm just reading too much into it.

Baul
White Member
White Member
Great Britain

Achievements

Post by Baul » 08 Apr 2021, 13:57

Emotive Spirit wrote:
02 Apr 2021, 21:12
Or just wanting to make a profit while masquerading an appearance of wanting and caring to know what the players want and enjoy. I mean, that's what it's starting to seem like anyway but I hope I'm just reading too much into it.

PlayStation head Jim Ryan's comment about old games really does prove this. It really shows that he doesn't think he can profit off the feature
“When we’ve dabbled with backwards compatibility, I can say it is one of those features that is much requested, but not actually used much,” said Ryan.

“That, and I was at a Gran Turismo event recently where they had PS1, PS2, PS3 and PS4 games, and the PS1 and the PS2 games, they looked ancient, like why would anybody play this?”
That and it's obvious that he just wants people to buy new games and only new games because people playing older games means they're not spending money on new ones.

It's funny how he says all that yet Sony have been selling these old games on PS4 either as a remaster or as the PS1/PS2 Classics line. 
Mark my words
They will be gone
You'll see them playing games, my dear
They've moved along
Cause one day in the afterlife
We'll meet again
Prophecies - Blind Guardian

Emotive
Nostalgic Move
Nostalgic Move
United States of America

Post by Emotive » 09 Apr 2021, 00:35

That hurts, especially when I've been using Playstation all these years. /:

GraceMellody
Veteran Member
Great Britain

Post by GraceMellody » 09 Apr 2021, 06:02

Nishizono Shinji wrote:
27 Mar 2021, 14:52
This is just how it goes. Providing a digital store front for consoles that are going obsolete makes no sense from a business perspective. If the demand was high enough they would continue to support it but clearly not enough people are buying digital copies of games on those platforms.
THIS.
~UK Artist, Idol & Mother~
@MelodiqueArt

Ash 'Kaosu' Symonds
Standard Member
Great Britain

Achievements

Post by Ash 'Kaosu' Symonds » 09 Apr 2021, 18:41

Jim Ryan doesn't care about backwards compatibility sadly. There is a big market for playing old games on newer hardware.