Final Fantasy XIV - Game tips, type advice

Discuss anything relating to Video Gaming, Tabletop Gaming, Card Games even Roleplaying.

Moderators: LikkleMel, Ali-Renegade, LilMissLarBear

King Jackman
Veteran Member
Great Britain

Achievements

Post by King Jackman » 01 Jan 2021, 16:47

G' day all, 

Im about to start playing ff14 and need some tips on character types before I start. Any help, I'd appreciate. 

lloydiboy
Veteran Member
Great Britain

Achievements

Post by lloydiboy » 01 Jan 2021, 18:43

Right @Jackman so first things first, are you doing free trial or paying subscription?

Secondly how do you prefer to play? Certain classes will be easier to play to start with, and your play style will determine your starting class. However if you don't like your class it's not the end of the world, after you get to level 15 you are free to move onto any other class.

If you are on a paid account join a free company at the earliest opportunity, as it will help you move on the main story by allowing you to get additional bids for dungeons once you start to reach them.

And finally, if you have friends you know are playing, join the server they are on. Otherwise look for a preferred server when you create your account. The exp boost is immense!
Come sing along with me

3DS Friend Code: 4983-6223-5296
Switch Nintendo Network ID: Lloydiboy
SW 7675-3547-3883

PM me to add me and I will add you back :)

King Jackman
Veteran Member
Great Britain

Achievements

Post by King Jackman » 01 Jan 2021, 19:01

it will be paid. I like using magic but I also like slicing people up haha

lloydiboy
Veteran Member
Great Britain

Achievements

Post by lloydiboy » 02 Jan 2021, 06:59

With a paid account you don't have restrictions to the social aspect, so you'll be able to join a free company

If you choose to go as a DPS character, be aware that the queues for dungeons for DPS are not often very favourable, so forming a party is always a good idea. However the dungeons don't start until after you can change class, so if you aren't liking how your starting class plays you can give others a try to see if you like them better!

For magic users you have conjurer which is a healer class, or thaumaturge which is pure damage dealer. Arcanist is a bit of a mix of both, it's mainly DPS, but can be made a healer when you reach level 30.

Tanks are either gladiator or marauder. Gladiator is probably more your traditional damage sponge, whereas marauder is a bit more offensive.

The remaining classes are all DPS. Pugilist and lancer close combat and archer is ranged. Rogue is also close combat, but you can't start as a rogue. After level 50 and when you reach the first expansion pack some more jobs are unlocked.

Again though I would definitely suggest looking to see if any of the servers have preferred status as that will give the experience boost.
Come sing along with me

SW 7675-3547-3883

King Jackman
Veteran Member
Great Britain

Achievements

Post by King Jackman » 03 Jan 2021, 17:53

Cheers man. I've started as a gladiator. At level 18 now but need to find a mentor

lloydiboy
Veteran Member
Great Britain

Achievements

Post by lloydiboy » 05 Jan 2021, 13:23

@Jackman Which server are you on? GLD is how I started out and it's actually a good solid tanking class.

Have you looked into joining an FC yet?
Come sing along with me

SW 7675-3547-3883

King Jackman
Veteran Member
Great Britain

Achievements

Post by King Jackman » 07 Jan 2021, 17:52

spriggan server. Just building up my level at the moment doing random quests haha