Underrated Games?

Discuss anything relating to Video Gaming, Tabletop Gaming, Card Games even Roleplaying.

Moderators: LikkleMel, Ali-Renegade, LilMissLarBear

Emotive
Nostalgic Move
Nostalgic Move
United States of America

Underrated Games?

Post by Emotive » 29 Nov 2020, 04:17

I didn't see a thread for this so I'm sorry if I missed it.

Are there any games you feel are underrated/underappreciated? If you do, say what game(s) you think fit the criteria. This is just an attempt to get more people into some games that they might not have even given a chance. Trailers and/or gameplay videos might help people understand why you think it's underrated.

For me, Chaos Legion is probably one of the most underrated games for the PS2. The Legions were all useful (especially Perfect Thanatos - Adult Thanatos wasn't as effective during Side B missions. >< It was fun collecting everything. I only got the guide this year. lol Got the game when it first came out in stores though, never regretted it since.

Fist of the North Star: Ken's Rage (haven't played the 2nd one yet) is always fun to play and just blare some Screamo to while turning the BGM all the way down in the Sound Options which is what I do with a lot of games. You could actually keep redoing the same Mission/Scenario by pressing Circle when it started the next one after you beat the current one so there was ample time to farm Skill Points for the Meridian Chart. But finding all 7 things to do in each mission was a LOT of fun!!! I found a lot out by myself, but recently I looked up how to do them all for all fighters and all missions. lol

This is all I can think of right now but I'll add more as I think of them! Does anyone else have any diamonds in the rough to share? :)

lambda-sky
Veteran Member
Great Britain

Achievements

Underrated Games?

Post by lambda-sky » 02 Dec 2020, 11:10

Android Spirit wrote:
29 Nov 2020, 04:17
Are there any games you feel are underrated/underappreciated?
Eternal Poison (Poison Pink) for playstation 2 maybe. It's a turn based JRPG kind of like Fire Emblem or Disgea. Rated 3.5/10 by IGN. Ouch.

The art and music is great. The characters and story are really interesting (spoiler alert, the amoral stuck up brat who leads your first party is actually the baddie :roll:). I think it falls down on a lot of the gameplay mechanics.

Like to take skills off of items you need to unequip the item first and then scroll though your item list to find it again. And you can't see what skills are attached to items currently equipped. In battle you can't tell how far allies can move on their next turn which makes planning difficult. You can see how far an enemy can move but you can't move the camera or see what their attack range is. There's lots of stupid rough edges like that.

There are multiple routes through the game but there's only one "good" ending per group and some of them are ridiculous. Like take the middle path to get to this map, kill all enemies except this one random guy, then you get to a secret stage with a secret boss, then you need to capture boss from another map and then summon that boss to break the magic barrier on the second from last boss on the right hand set of maps.... I have no idea how you're supposed to work all that stuff out without reading a guide. :(

So yeah, underrated but only slightly.

Emotive
Nostalgic Move
Nostalgic Move
United States of America

Underrated Games?

Post by Emotive » 02 Dec 2020, 16:50

lambda-sky wrote:
02 Dec 2020, 11:10
Android Spirit wrote:
29 Nov 2020, 04:17
Are there any games you feel are underrated/underappreciated?
Eternal Poison (Poison Pink) for playstation 2 maybe. It's a turn based JRPG kind of like Fire Emblem or Disgea. Rated 3.5/10 by IGN. Ouch.

The art and music is great. The characters and story are really interesting (spoiler alert, the amoral stuck up brat who leads your first party is actually the baddie :roll:). I think it falls down on a lot of the gameplay mechanics.

Like to take skills off of items you need to unequip the item first and then scroll though your item list to find it again. And you can't see what skills are attached to items currently equipped. In battle you can't tell how far allies can move on their next turn which makes planning difficult. You can see how far an enemy can move but you can't move the camera or see what their attack range is. There's lots of stupid rough edges like that.

There are multiple routes through the game but there's only one "good" ending per group and some of them are ridiculous. Like take the middle path to get to this map, kill all enemies except this one random guy, then you get to a secret stage with a secret boss, then you need to capture boss from another map and then summon that boss to break the magic barrier on the second from last boss on the right hand set of maps.... I have no idea how you're supposed to work all that stuff out without reading a guide. :(

So yeah, underrated but only slightly.
That sounds like a lot of fun but also like a lot of potential rage quits. lol Hopefully I can find one online to put in my Amazon shopping cart though because I love Disgaea. I just never finished the first one, or any of the others. But I love the gameplay mechanics and the art. The dialog is priceless too. XD

lambda-sky
Veteran Member
Great Britain

Achievements

Underrated Games?

Post by lambda-sky » 02 Dec 2020, 17:17

Android Spirit wrote:
02 Dec 2020, 16:50
That sounds like a lot of fun but also like a lot of potential rage quits. lol Hopefully I can find one online to put in my Amazon shopping cart though because I love Disgaea. I just never finished the first one, or any of the others. But I love the gameplay mechanics and the art. The dialog is priceless too. XD
Oh yeah no, the dialogue is no where near as good as Disgea. :lol:
You can also just torrent the iso and play on an emulator. It's not like the original creators get any money if you buy an old scratched dvd anyway. :roll:

Emotive
Nostalgic Move
Nostalgic Move
United States of America

Underrated Games?

Post by Emotive » 02 Dec 2020, 18:38

Naw, I don't know how to use emulators on this. Chromebook is a different OS and just doesn't seem to want to work with isos and emulators. D: Plus I never could get the hang of making emulators work at least as far as the saves went. I wasn't sure how to load my game save. lol

LikkleMel
TimeLord Member
TimeLord Member
Great Britain

Underrated Games?

Post by LikkleMel » 02 Dec 2020, 20:26

Right, I think Bioshock 2 is a great game. People say it isn't as good as the first one and why are we back in Rapture again, but I like the story more as I always wondered what it is like to be a Big Daddy and I like the enemy Lamb. This also helps if you read the book as it ties everything together.
~Let our bodies lay, mark our hearts with shame
Let our blood in vain, you find God in pain~

lambda-sky
Veteran Member
Great Britain

Achievements

Underrated Games?

Post by lambda-sky » 02 Dec 2020, 22:46

Android Spirit wrote:
02 Dec 2020, 18:38
Plus I never could get the hang of making emulators work at least as far as the saves went. I wasn't sure how to load my game save. lol
Part of emulating games is to emulate the memory cards and stuff so you should be able to save games like normal. But since the whole game is just a process running on your PC the emulator can also just dump all the ram to a file on your harddrive and load it back later, basically letting you save whenever and wherever you want. Most emulators call that a save state. Which is pretty neat, especially if you suck at games like me you can just rewind the last 10 seconds instead of going all the way back to the last save point. :)

Android Spirit wrote:
02 Dec 2020, 18:38
Naw, I don't know how to use emulators on this. Chromebook is a different OS and just doesn't seem to want to work with isos and emulators.
Well, chromeos is just gentoo linux under the hood and pcsx2 runs on linux. But chromebook hardware is optimized for low power consumption not performance so it will probably run at like 3fps :P So yeah that's not going to work.

Emotive
Nostalgic Move
Nostalgic Move
United States of America

Underrated Games?

Post by Emotive » 02 Dec 2020, 23:27

It's just as well. That sounds like way too much work just to play a game. Dx Besides, this one only stores 50 gigs on the drive. The Google Drive where you can store online stuff is 15 gigs but can be increased. But still... way too much work to play a game. lol I thought about it for Crisis Core though. But in the end I couldn't figure out how to make it work. lol

GraceMellody
Veteran Member
Great Britain

Underrated Games?

Post by GraceMellody » 02 Dec 2020, 23:58

Tomb Raider 4.
~UK Artist, Idol & Mother~
@MelodiqueArt

LikkleMel
TimeLord Member
TimeLord Member
Great Britain

Underrated Games?

Post by LikkleMel » 03 Dec 2020, 17:16

GingerbreadMellody wrote:
02 Dec 2020, 23:58
Tomb Raider 4.
How is Tomb Raider 4 underrated? It is one of the best!
~Let our bodies lay, mark our hearts with shame
Let our blood in vain, you find God in pain~

lambda-sky
Veteran Member
Great Britain

Achievements

Underrated Games?

Post by lambda-sky » 03 Dec 2020, 17:28

4 was Egypt with quadbikes and teenage Lara with pigtails, right? I thought everyone likes that too.
I remember 5 was a bit controversial though, the one that starts in Rome.

GraceMellody
Veteran Member
Great Britain

Underrated Games?

Post by GraceMellody » 05 Dec 2020, 13:31

LikkleDrummerGirl wrote:
03 Dec 2020, 17:16
02 Dec 2020, 23:58
Tomb Raider 4.
How is Tomb Raider 4 underrated? It is one of the best!
I fully agree but I always see people just talk about the original trilogy being the best and im like A H E M
~UK Artist, Idol & Mother~
@MelodiqueArt

lambda-sky
Veteran Member
Great Britain

Achievements

Underrated Games?

Post by lambda-sky » 05 Dec 2020, 18:13

05 Dec 2020, 13:31
I fully agree but I always see people just talk about the original trilogy being the best and im like A H E M
Oh right those people :roll:

lolin
Veteran Member
United States of America

Underrated Games?

Post by lolin » 05 Dec 2020, 18:28

Brave Fencer Musashi for the PS1

In its time, it was largely only purchased for the demo of FFVIII in it, I believe

lambda-sky
Veteran Member
Great Britain

Achievements

Underrated Games?

Post by lambda-sky » 05 Dec 2020, 19:57

Falalalalalalalolin wrote:
05 Dec 2020, 18:28
Brave Fencer Musashi for the PS1

In its time, it was largely only purchased for the demo of FFVIII in it, I believe
That's a little tragic. :lol: