What's your favorite failed console?

Discuss anything relating to Video Gaming, Tabletop Gaming, Card Games even Roleplaying.

Moderators: LikkleMel, Ali-Renegade, LilMissLarBear

sam_sam
Standard Member
Great Britain

Achievements

Post by sam_sam » 09 Nov 2020, 12:02

Mines the dreamcast and I also like the Wii u.
ribbit
ImageImage

LilMissLarBear
Violet Member
Violet Member
Great Britain

Post by LilMissLarBear » 09 Nov 2020, 12:19

Would you count Xbox Kinect as a failed console? Either way I remember actually enjoying some of the games from that. What has happened to the Kinect anyway? Do people still use it???

Lauren
VG mod
DM me if you have any questions!

Trurotaketwo
Great Britain

Achievements

Post by Trurotaketwo » 09 Nov 2020, 15:01

It's hard for me to choose between the Sega Saturn and the Wii U. The Wii U had the best version of Twilight Princess (Skippable cutscenes...such bliss...) great virtual console choices, including Harvest Moon 64, available in the UK at long last and the gamepad was handy for grinding in RPGs while watching a DVD.

The Saturn on the other hand, while not as powerful as the PS1 and had nowhere near as much 3rd party support had some great exclusive titles, like Dragon Force, Guardian Heroes and my favorite strategy RPG of all time, Shining Force III. Because Saturn technology was so hard to emulate, a lot of these games have yet to be ported to newer systems, IF they even get ported at all.

LilMissLarBear
Violet Member
Violet Member
Great Britain

Post by LilMissLarBear » 09 Nov 2020, 15:15

I must be the very few people that has never owned a Wii U to be fair. Thinking about it now, it does look like it has a similar concept to the Switch with it being handheld and I can imagine for both you can connect the console to a bigger screen like a TV or whatever... Just curious if there are really any huge differences between the two?

Lauren
VG mod
DM me if you have any questions!

Trurotaketwo
Great Britain

Achievements

Post by Trurotaketwo » 09 Nov 2020, 15:23

One of the biggest differences that I've noticed is that the Switch loads faster. I've played Breath Of The Wild on both Wii U and Switch and loading my save file on the Wii U took a minute, whereas on the Switch it was almost instant. The Switch is also easier to get more memory for. With the Wii U, Nintendo recommends getting an external hard drive to connect to the Wii U, with it's own power source (so that's three plug sockets in total- one for the Wii U, one for the gamepad's charging cradle and one for the little boy who lives down the lane/external hard drive), but with the Switch all you have to do is plug in an SD card.

GraceMellody
Veteran Member
Great Britain

Post by GraceMellody » 10 Nov 2020, 16:42

Heyitslaurenk wrote:
09 Nov 2020, 15:15
I must be the very few people that has never owned a Wii U to be fair. Thinking about it now, it does look like it has a similar concept to the Switch with it being handheld and I can imagine for both you can connect the console to a bigger screen like a TV or whatever... Just curious if there are really any huge differences between the two?
not many games actually utilised the feature that well, most games you still needed to watch on the TV and use the game pad as the main controller. It was a very weird cross between the DS and Switch. I do actually like the WiiU, the weakness for me was the lack of interesting games.
~UK Artist, Idol & Mother~
@MelodiqueArt

Beerkeg
Standard Member
Estonia

Achievements

Post by Beerkeg » 10 Nov 2020, 17:05

The OUYA. It was lovely. Only lasted 2 years, nobody wanted it and you could buy them brand new for like 10eur when they went bust. They were also very easily flashable so you got a pretty decent emulator box (and a controller) for less than the cost of a raspberry pi. Someone even made a linux distro for it, which should still be floating around somewhere.

lolin
Veteran Member
United States of America

Post by lolin » 10 Nov 2020, 23:34

definitely the virtual boy

it was waaaaaaaaay, waaaaaaaay before a time period people would even find 3D enjoyable, and quite frankly if a gaming session doesn't give you a headache after 30 minutes, can you really be said to be gaming?

Citizen
Mysterious Member
Mysterious Member
United States of America

Post by Citizen » 11 Nov 2020, 01:35

Neo Geo Pocket Color

Honorable mentions:
Saturn
Dreamcast
Sega CD
WonderSwan Color
Apple Bandai Pippin

Emotive
Nostalgic Move
Nostalgic Move
United States of America

Post by Emotive » 11 Nov 2020, 01:45

Apparently the Vita is failed but I've still gotten much out of it. Especially out of the first-person dungeon crawlers like Mind Zero and Operation Abyss: New Tokyo Legacy which is why I'm surprised that it's a "failed" system but I guess if that's what it is. I still enjoy the PS1 Classics I can play on it. And the PSP games I can get from the PS Store. Can't believe it's considered failed. :o

Nishizono Shinji
Veteran Member
Great Britain

Achievements

Post by Nishizono Shinji » 13 Nov 2020, 07:33

Sega Game Gear. Had the unfortunate task of competing the the Game Boy, even though imo it was superior it never got the same hype that the game boy did.
Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

Nishizono Shinji
Veteran Member
Great Britain

Achievements

Post by Nishizono Shinji » 13 Nov 2020, 07:33

Just a side note it's interesting to see so many Sega projects on this thread lol
Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

GraceMellody
Veteran Member
Great Britain

Post by GraceMellody » 13 Nov 2020, 10:45

Nishizono Shinji wrote:
13 Nov 2020, 07:33
Just a side note it's interesting to see so many Sega projects on this thread lol
theres a reason they stopped even trying LOL
~UK Artist, Idol & Mother~
@MelodiqueArt

lambda-sky
Veteran Member
Great Britain

Achievements

Post by lambda-sky » 13 Nov 2020, 19:21

Last edited by lambda-sky on 27 Feb 2021, 21:04, edited 1 time in total.

Mickelrath
Great Britain

Achievements

Post by Mickelrath » 14 Nov 2020, 19:42

I seeing the Hyperscan which could have been great if the hardware was better