Cloud gaming, I don't like it one bit

Discuss anything relating to Video Gaming, Tabletop Gaming, Card Games even Roleplaying.

Moderators: LikkleMel, Ali-Renegade, LilMissLarBear

TrashM
Standard Member
Great Britain

Achievements

Post by TrashM » 18 Jun 2020, 15:00

I don't care if "cloud gaming" is the future. I would want no part of it and no gamer should. Whenever I hear people talk about stadia it's always about shit that doesn't matter like "lag" and "the price". WHY CAN NO ONE SEE THE BIGGER PICTURE? Google stadia is bad but IT HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH TECHNICAL PERFORMANCE. Why would anyone be excited for a future where the collection of our games is 100% in the hands of companies? Why would you hand over that control to a service that can change the price whenever they want and your favorite games can just disappear just like that all just becauz the service felt like it? People need to stop thinking about non issues and think about the actual consequences to this. It is important that people do NOT opt for these things because if it is successful, it will steer the market that way forcing people who don't want to participate into participating since it will become the standard. Younger kids will fall for this and not know the value of owning their copies since they are being taught pay for convineince.

I subscribe to netflix and I subscribe to Spotify. Cloud gaming however, is different. It is different because the time sank onto your games do matter. If you stop paying for a streaming service you could still get copies of your favorite music without any loss but with gaming, those games you've been playing would be tied to your account and you would never be able to play them again with all your data without resubscribing. Having access to your games matter more than having access to a movie you would probably only watch once. A music album or movie is easy to replace without any data to think about. Why would we need to pay for acess to a wide selection of games when we only require small selection of games since they take time to be finished with? If cloud gaming is encouraged, there would be no reason for console games not to go in that direction. No downloads availible so gamers no longer have the choice. What a terrible thought.
"Do not store up for yourselvs treasures on Earth, where moths and vermin destroy, and where theives break in and steal".

Matthew 6:19

Beerkeg
Standard Member
Estonia

Achievements

Cloud gaming, I don't like it

Post by Beerkeg » 18 Jun 2020, 15:39

Aye, cloud gaming is a terrible idea. I don't like it more because of the technical performance issues. Game collections are going more towards digital platforms anyway, but the vision you brought up is the worse one. You have Steam where you can buy the game and have all the features, you don't need to have a subscription, thats fine for now. Console online stores are a bit more evil cause you can't even access the games if you don't have their subscription and they limit your game features like online play if you don't subscribe, but have a physical copy of the game. Having gaming as a service is bad and hopefully will die as the meme that it is.
I don't like any of those "X as a service" things. Spotify, netflix, audible, any others that may exist. If you don't let me download a digital copy of what you're offering then I'll just pirate it.

Ali-Renegade
Standard Member
Great Britain

Achievements

Post by Ali-Renegade » 18 Jun 2020, 19:01

I mean I personally use Shadow which is a cloud gaming service and it has served me well for almost a year now, it gives me access to an entire gaming PC that I can use for pretty much anything I like.
*VTuber - Cookies and Cream Bunny*
*Semi Famous Metaverse Musician*
*Psychology Graduate and Computer Science Enthusiast*
*Game Designer*