Civ 6 FREE on Epic Games for ONE WEEK.

Discuss anything relating to Video Gaming, Tabletop Gaming, Card Games even Roleplaying.

Moderators: LikkleMel, Ali-Renegade, LilMissLarBear

GraceMellody
Veteran Member
Great Britain

Post by GraceMellody » 22 May 2020, 18:30

Epic Games have a huge sale on at the moment and part of it is that every week they have one popular game available for free. If you grab this within the next week you can keep it forever, so definitely worth grabbing!

https://www.epicgames.com/store/en-US/p ... on-vi/home
~UK Artist, Idol & Mother~
@MelodiqueArt

Beerkeg
Standard Member
Estonia

Achievements

Post by Beerkeg » 22 May 2020, 19:17

They can give away as many free games as they want, still not going to get me on their garbage service...

LikkleMel
TimeLord Member
TimeLord Member
Great Britain

Post by LikkleMel » 22 May 2020, 19:20

Beerkeg wrote:
22 May 2020, 19:17
They can give away as many free games as they want, still not going to get me on their garbage service...
I only got it for GTA5 tbh
~Let our bodies lay, mark our hearts with shame
Let our blood in vain, you find God in pain~

GraceMellody
Veteran Member
Great Britain

Post by GraceMellody » 22 May 2020, 19:45

Beerkeg wrote:
I'm gonna be downloading it to try out, but I still intend to buy it on Steam when it's cheap and I have money. It's the achievements that I want!
@MelodiqueArt

Citizen
Mysterious Member
Mysterious Member
United States of America

Post by Citizen » 23 May 2020, 00:15

Beerkeg wrote:

This.

lolin
Veteran Member
United States of America

Post by lolin » 23 May 2020, 03:27

epic's literally pulling the same shenanigans steam pulled initially when it was a "garbage service"

people hated the hell out of steam when it first came out, and i have a 15 year pin to back that shit up

is it *really* okay for steam to have a monopoly?

Beerkeg
Standard Member
Estonia

Achievements

Post by Beerkeg » 23 May 2020, 06:08

Lolin wrote:
23 May 2020, 03:27
epic's literally pulling the same shenanigans steam pulled initially when it was a "garbage service"

people hated the hell out of steam when it first came out, and i have a 15 year pin to back that shit up

No, it isn't okay for steam to have a monopoly. Competition is good, when done well. Epic games doesn't know what they're doing and doesn't know how to fix its storefront. Steam had the same problem long ago, but the threats were lower malicious attacks weren't as good as they are today.
Also I feel the way they're approaching this isn't to be competition, they seem to want to become the monopoly or at least the leading games platform. The way they do it is trying to buy people over with free stuff and exclusives, which is a fair way to promote your service, but also scummy, because that money could have gone to the service developers to provide a better product. Be better because you are better, not because you gave away free stuff and got people over with exclusives that cloud the opinions of the userbase. "Ugh this feature is so annoying and I can't block it in any way, but they gave me free stuff so I guess they're alright"

GraceMellody
Veteran Member
Great Britain

Post by GraceMellody » 23 May 2020, 11:20

Lolin wrote:

Beerkeg wrote:
23 May 2020, 06:08
Lolin wrote:

No, it isn't okay for steam to have a monopoly. Competition is good, when done well. Epic games doesn't know what they're doing and doesn't know how to fix its storefront. Steam had the same problem long ago, but the threats were lower malicious attacks weren't as good as they are today.
Also I feel the way they're approaching this isn't to be competition, they seem to want to become the monopoly or at least the leading games platform. The way they do it is trying to buy people over with free stuff and exclusives, which is a fair way to promote your service, but also scummy, because that money could have gone to the service developers to provide a better product. Be better because you are better, not because you gave away free stuff and got people over with exclusives that cloud the opinions of the userbase. "Ugh this feature is so annoying and I can't block it in any way, but they gave me free stuff so I guess they're alright"
If Epic do improve like Steam have then people will give them another chance like they did with Steam

But I kinda hope they don't
While sure, you can argue Steam shouldn't have a monopoly, it is rather annoying having different clients for every game. I'd prefer to keep one platform and know that all my friends use it too, rather than it be like streaming services where there's like 10 to choose from
@MelodiqueArt

toshioa
Veteran Member
Great Britain

Achievements

Post by toshioa » 03 Jun 2020, 14:17

Oh damn! I missed out on this one :( Who got their copy?