Is there any video game you've found hard to finish?

Discuss anything relating to Video Gaming, Tabletop Gaming, Card Games even Roleplaying.

Moderators: LikkleMel, Ali-Renegade, LilMissLarBear

Trurotaketwo
Great Britain

Achievements

Post by Trurotaketwo » 28 Oct 2020, 16:33

Summon Night Swordcraft Story 2 for the GBA.

I really enjoyed the previous game, and heard that the sequel was even better, so I went into it with high expectations. First impressions were good. The graphics nice, with a brighter pallet of colours and the sound is better. But the prologue just dragged on and on and on and on and...
After the big plot point, your sword brakes and you have to forge another one, but due to bickering with your summon creature, the new sword breaks and you have to go get the materials to build a new one. This is after an hour, from when I started and the game is making me forge my "first" sword for a third time, just because they wanted an excuse to reference the "A hammer forges more than a sword. It can also forge...A MAN/WOMAN!" line from the previous game? Padding at it's worst.

Now, I know an abundance of dialogue is par for the course with RPGs, but remember, this is a game made for a portable system with limited battery life. What if I'm on the train with the batteries getting low and a long cut scene plays out, then the batteries die and I end up losing my progress, because I couldn't get to the save point in time because the writer was determined to show off what a great writer he thinks he is?!

Additionally, I also found it tedious to keep running back and forth between the town and the farthest point in the field area, because of a new obsticle that I need a new weapon type to bypass. Now, this is a good idea, I like having weapons that I can use to interract with the environment. It's just frustrating to constantly run back and forth for the new weapon type. I missed those teleporters from the first Swordcraft Story.

This was last month, and I haven't pick up the game since, because I found it so tedious. I'll probably pick it up again, once I've cleared some other games off my backlog, since I reviewed the previous game on my youtube channel and I'm planning to do a review of the sequel sometime.

melanch0lic
Veteran Member
Great Britain

Achievements

Post by melanch0lic » 28 Oct 2020, 17:51

Devil May Cry, the original on PS2 - completed it on easy mode, but anything harder than that makes it virtually-impossible for me even though the game is ridiculously fun D: may have to try it again once i've finished with FF9!
Anime-Planet.com - anime | manga | watch anime online

Overlord Kujo
Veteran Member
United States of America

Achievements

Post by Overlord Kujo » 13 Aug 2021, 15:58

Too hard? Mike Tyson's Punch Out.
I can beat Super Punch Out just fine, but the original is a practice in becoming a machine. The NES game is a giant algorithm, and must be perfectly memorized.

Help me conquer new game realms at the
Overlord Arcade YouTube channel!

lolin
Veteran Member
United States of America

Post by lolin » 13 Aug 2021, 16:56

Bloodborne. I'm too used to shields and dodging is hard. Cant' even make it to the first boss, stupid werewolves.

GraceMellody
Veteran Member
Great Britain

Post by GraceMellody » 14 Aug 2021, 21:23

Lolin wrote:
13 Aug 2021, 16:56
Bloodborne. I'm too used to shields and dodging is hard. Cant' even make it to the first boss, stupid werewolves.
you can do it!
the first boss at least, the rest sounds hard
~UK Artist, Idol & Mother~
@MelodiqueArt

Baul
White Member
White Member
Great Britain

Achievements

Post by Baul » 30 Aug 2021, 03:04

Dark Souls 2

Every time I play I get a little further and then I just lose interest. The games just plagued with issues and some pretty poor pacing and it just doesn't keep me hooked at all. Which is a shame because there's a fair bit to like, but those issues outweigh what there is to like.

Sekiro

The combat just isn't clicking for me. So I just have a hard time.

Hunt Down the Freeman

It's Hunt Down the Freeman
Mark my words
They will be gone
You'll see them playing games, my dear
They've moved along
Cause one day in the afterlife
We'll meet again
Prophecies - Blind Guardian

LikkleMel
TimeLord Member
TimeLord Member
Great Britain

Post by LikkleMel » 30 Aug 2021, 15:40

Another game I'm finding hard to complete.

1) due to time because I have no spare time at the moment because of events
2) I just find it incredibly hard (espeically since I'm trying to 106% the game so not making it easy for myself too)
3) I also don't have a paicents for the game at the moment

Crash Bandicoot 4 it is super hard and in some cases ridiculous
~Let our bodies lay, mark our hearts with shame
Let our blood in vain, you find God in pain~

Overlord Kujo
Veteran Member
United States of America

Achievements

Post by Overlord Kujo » 30 Aug 2021, 15:57

LikkleMel wrote:
30 Aug 2021, 15:40
Another game I'm finding hard to complete.

1) due to time because I have no spare time at the moment because of events
2) I just find it incredibly hard (espeically since I'm trying to 106% the game so not making it easy for myself too)
3) I also don't have a paicents for the game at the moment

Crash Bandicoot 4 it is super hard and in some cases ridiculous
If platinum relics weren't required for 106%, I'd try to do it. But I don't like time trials. I can gold relic Crash 3, and that used to be good enough. Also, Crash 4 has just... bad boxes, imo. Some are just too well hidden. It's a game that has to be researched, which isn't really what made the old Crash fun.

The 3 death gem is also a bad inclusion, if you ask me. Crash 4 punishes experimenting for secrets. Then having to redo levels in N.verted mode, which isn't really a different level. THEN having to some some levels a 3rd and 4th time for alternate character levels. Just... nope.

I want to like Crash 4, but I just don't. I haven't even finished the main story since I don't like knowing I'll never 100% this Crash game. I've 100%+ every Crash game I've played until this one.

Jezo
Great Britain

Achievements

Post by Jezo » 30 Aug 2021, 23:04

Yeah Crash 4 went way too overboard on the 100% department. I'm assuming N. Sane runs (All boxes without dying) don't contribute to 100%? But even then, the completionist in me wouldn't like leaving any unachieved lol. I've done it for around 10 levels but some are just ridiculous. And yes, some boxes are hidden off camera. Crash 4 added the tedious mechanic of letting you move the camera around so you can really search every nook and cranny of the screen. And even with this, there are still some boxes that are off-screen. Can never even see them. Now that's going too far lmao. So after many, MANY levels ending with 1 or 2 boxes missed, and repeating them multiple times and still unable to find them. I said fuck it and dropped it. I like to believe I'll come back to it some day, maybe with a guide, but if you gotta use a guide it kinda defeats the fun in some ways.

LikkleMel
TimeLord Member
TimeLord Member
Great Britain

Post by LikkleMel » 31 Aug 2021, 12:53

Jezo wrote:
30 Aug 2021, 23:04
Yeah Crash 4 went way too overboard on the 100% department. I'm assuming N. Sane runs (All boxes without dying) don't contribute to 100%? But even then, the completionist in me wouldn't like leaving any unachieved lol. I've done it for around 10 levels but some are just ridiculous. And yes, some boxes are hidden off camera. Crash 4 added the tedious mechanic of letting you move the camera around so you can really search every nook and cranny of the screen. And even with this, there are still some boxes that are off-screen. Can never even see them. Now that's going too far lmao. So after many, MANY levels ending with 1 or 2 boxes missed, and repeating them multiple times and still unable to find them. I said fuck it and dropped it. I like to believe I'll come back to it some day, maybe with a guide, but if you gotta use a guide it kinda defeats the fun in some ways.

Nope those do count towards the 100% it is stupid because the levels are longer and much harder. Its not like the other ones where they were still relatively short, hard in some places but still doable. The hit box on Crash 4 I find varies from level to level.
~Let our bodies lay, mark our hearts with shame
Let our blood in vain, you find God in pain~

LilMissLarBear
Violet Member
Violet Member
Great Britain

Post by LilMissLarBear » 07 Sep 2021, 15:47

I'm assuming we are counting games we have finished anyway? If that is the case, for there are a few. 1) Crash Bandicoot- only the first one since thats the only one I've played so far lol; 2) Devil May Cry- was mainly down to one boss that I was struggling, the rest was ok, still quite a few hard bits here and there. And finally one I haven't finished, I'm going with Baul on this one too but Dark Souls 2.

Lauren
VG mod
DM me if you have any questions!

Overlord Kujo
Veteran Member
United States of America

Achievements

Post by Overlord Kujo » 07 Sep 2021, 16:01

Heyitslaurenk wrote:
07 Sep 2021, 15:47
1) Crash Bandicoot- only the first one since thats the only one I've played so far lol.
Standard run, or 100% gem run for Crash 1?
Also, classic or N.Sane remaster?

LilMissLarBear
Violet Member
Violet Member
Great Britain

Post by LilMissLarBear » 07 Sep 2021, 16:08

Oh I have given up on the gem run lol. I found the standard run hard enough because I never had played Crash Bandicoot beforehand (I have the remastered version). I made a start on the gem run and I just gave up, haven't touched the game in a while

Lauren
VG mod
DM me if you have any questions!

Overlord Kujo
Veteran Member
United States of America

Achievements

Post by Overlord Kujo » 07 Sep 2021, 16:13

Well, luckily, the gems are easier to get in the remaster than the original game. OG Crash had to do every level without dying to get the gems. Now that's just for colored gems.

You can do it! Crash 1 is the hardest of the original trilogy.

GraceMellody
Veteran Member
Great Britain

Post by GraceMellody » 15 Sep 2021, 14:34

I'm already struggling with Cookie Clicker XD The steam version is so much more in depth than the browser version back in 2013! It's fun but I don't like having to actively sit and watch a clicker game
~UK Artist, Idol & Mother~
@MelodiqueArt