Unpopular Opinion: As a FF VII fan, I don't care about the remake.

Discuss anything relating to Video Gaming, Tabletop Gaming, Card Games even Roleplaying.

Moderators: LikkleMel, Ali-Renegade, LilMissLarBear

Jongriffin
Standard Member
United States of America

Achievements

Unpopular Opinion: As a FF VII fan, I don't care about the remake.

Post by Jongriffin » 22 Apr 2020, 11:01

I don't care about the Final Fantasy VII remake, even though FF VII is one of my favorite JRPGs. I feel like the original 1997 version, though dated, has such a charm to it. And no, I didn't play the original version back when it was released. I played it in the mid 2000s, when graphics were already considerably better. And yet, I was still charmed by it.

Frankly, I am getting tired of video game remakes. I really am. There is a difference between cinephiles and gamers. Cinephiles want to preserve old black and white movies, and older movies with dated special effects, in their original form, seeing them as an art form. Gamers want to remake everything. Needless to say, I appreciate cinephiles more than gamers.

Ryuuko
Knight Member
Knight Member

Re: Unpopular Opinion: As a FF VII fan, I don't care about the remake.

Post by Ryuuko » 22 Apr 2020, 11:12

So your saying you wish time would stop and nothing innovative or new would ever occur again?

Or are you saying you want original ideas and no more recreating of them?

Are you an anti-technologist?

Jongriffin
Standard Member
United States of America

Achievements

Post by Jongriffin » 22 Apr 2020, 11:20

Seiei wrote:So your saying you wish time would stop and nothing innovative or new would ever occur again?

Or are you saying you want original ideas and no more recreating of them?

Are you an anti-technologist?

I don't know where you got the idea that I don't want innovation. There are plenty of new games that I play with beautiful graphics and sound. But just like I wouldn't want my favorite old black and white movies being colorized, or old Ray Harryhousen films with stop-motion models being updated with CGI effects, I don't like all these games being remade. If they can't think up a new Final Fantasy game with an intriguing story and great gameplay, that's Square-Enix's fault.

New and innovative games and movies are wonderful. As long we can appreciate the old.

Ryuuko
Knight Member
Knight Member

Post by Ryuuko » 22 Apr 2020, 11:44

So you don’t consider Remakes of any sort innovative? And others just living off the Laurels of past innovations instead?

Or is it just your preference and nothing more?

Ryuuko
Knight Member
Knight Member

Post by Ryuuko » 22 Apr 2020, 11:49

Just so you and others know, I’ve played FF7 Remake because I thought FF7 was a great game. The Remake so far in my opinion is not as good as the original. As a game though it’s good. It’s not really the same game either.

Citizen
Mysterious Member
Mysterious Member
United States of America

Post by Citizen » 22 Apr 2020, 12:18

I never cared much about FFVIIR to begin with because FFVII was a just ok jrpg, but I did plan on playing it.

But then after over a decade of cockteasing and waiting, the awful art direction SE went with for all new FFVII content (Do weebs even give a shit about Gackt anymore? Do we really still need this awful, washed-out, jpop art style?), the shift to dumb arpg meme gameplay (especially since SE sucks at making arpgs), and the episodic release, I completely lost any interest I previously had in playing it.

They didn't even do a good job bringing the character models up to gen 8 graphical standards. Whenever I see Remake Sephiroth, all I can think is that his face looks like a Resident Evil 4 face.

That being said, some video game remakes have been pretty great. Things like Pokémon HeartGold/SoulSilver, the Yakuza remakes and the Resident Evil remakes are way more playable than the originals.

WorldIsMine
Standard Member
Great Britain

Achievements

Post by WorldIsMine » 22 Apr 2020, 20:22

i'm playing through it very slowly but it doesn't grab my interest as much as the original usually does and i think it suffers from some squished pacing and some shallow events you do, but overall it's a solid not bad

LikkleMel
TimeLord Member
TimeLord Member
Great Britain

Post by LikkleMel » 22 Apr 2020, 21:23

I've never played Final Fantasy. Never cared about it, the only reason I'm playing the remake is because Mike bought it as he loves it and we agreed it would be played on my console for the trophies :P

I have to say the game play is good don't get me wrong and I enjoy it as I was never into turnbased combat (can't even get into Pokemon gameplay). I do feel they have padded it out too much, I feel the story is way too long and drawn out. That Jessie misson was just filler and not needed, I kinda wish there were more side missions or just times you can wander about and have a look rather than battle, more battles and such.
~Let our bodies lay, mark our hearts with shame
Let our blood in vain, you find God in pain~

Ryuuko
Knight Member
Knight Member

Post by Ryuuko » 22 Apr 2020, 21:59

I certainly feel like all the extra content is just filler so they can release it episodically.

So while I may buy the next release I’ll wait until the price drops.

This first one was a third of a game at best and should’ve been priced as a third of a game.

I mean they should’ve just redid the graphics, combat, and added dialogue and left it at that.

Instead extra storyline was added, that’s just fluff, release that as a DLC, so those who want can pay for it and those who don’t, don’t have to pay for unwanted extras.

WorldIsMine
Standard Member
Great Britain

Achievements

Post by WorldIsMine » 22 Apr 2020, 22:00

they'd never stay in business if it was a third the price

the grapphics, engine, and voice acting are top notch and horrifically expensive

Citizen
Mysterious Member
Mysterious Member
United States of America

Post by Citizen » 22 Apr 2020, 22:02

Seiei wrote:I mean they should’ve just redid the graphics, combat, and added dialogue and left it at that.

Yeah simple just slap on the ol' modern graphics filter and call it a game, easy peasy, cheap n' breezy.

WorldIsMine
Standard Member
Great Britain

Achievements

Post by WorldIsMine » 22 Apr 2020, 22:04

Citizen wrote:Yeah simple just slap on the ol' modern graphics filter and call it a game, easy peasy, cheap n' breezy.

works for capcom and konami

Ryuuko
Knight Member
Knight Member

Post by Ryuuko » 22 Apr 2020, 22:05

WorldIsMine wrote:they'd never stay in business if it was a third the price

the grapphics, engine, and voice acting are top notch and horrifically expensive

If they keep this crap up they shouldn’t stay in business

Citizen
Mysterious Member
Mysterious Member
United States of America

Post by Citizen » 22 Apr 2020, 22:08

WorldIsMine wrote:works for capcom and konami

I mean Capcom is pretty bad at it though. Or more accurately, the shovelware devs they hire to do it for them are bad at it.

But yeah people still buy it.

In fairness though Beat 'em Up Bundle was a great idea in theory and was very well done. If only they had supported it with actual servers to actually make the online multiplayer bearable. Then maybe it would have had a playerbase for more than a week.

WorldIsMine
Standard Member
Great Britain

Achievements

Post by WorldIsMine » 22 Apr 2020, 22:08

Seiei wrote:If they keep this crap up they shouldn’t stay in business

you'd be surprised, but arpg last i heard polls super well with the japanese crowd