Is VR worth it?

Discuss anything relating to Video Gaming, Tabletop Gaming, Card Games even Roleplaying.

Moderators: LikkleMel, Ali-Renegade, LilMissLarBear

partialloser

Is VR worth it?

Post by partialloser » 23 Aug 2019, 05:32

[ATTACH=CONFIG]60936[/ATTACH]

So, I want to try buying HTC Vive headset and I just wanted to know is it worth it? How good is it? Should I wait for new-gen tech? I'm interested in HTC Vive model and if someone has this headset, would love to hear their opinion about it, thanks in advance :)

Nishizono Shinji
Veteran Member
Great Britain

Achievements

Re: Is VR worth it?

Post by Nishizono Shinji » 23 Aug 2019, 12:19

I'm waiting a few more generations for the tech to get to a better level
Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

lolin
Veteran Member
United States of America

Post by lolin » 23 Aug 2019, 13:19

i'm under the impression that the original vive is going to keep going down in price, so i'm waiting on that (already happened, what, twice?)

i don't want to invest 800+ into VR, also i'm poor

egg
United States of America

Achievements

Post by egg » 26 Aug 2019, 08:18

I don't really have any input on the Vive but last year I purchased a used Oculus for about $250 USD and while current-gen VR definitely does have its problems, I would definitely say that it's been worth it so far especially in my case since I didn't have to pay full price due to buying secondhand.

That being said though, aside from the price of the headset you also have to consider the cost of upgrading your computer's GPU if it isn't already powerful enough and if not, you're looking at another few hundred bucks :(
Like I said, I personally think it's worth it because playing in VR gives you an experience you can't get with other games but it all comes down to if you're willing to invest the extra monkey money and how patient you are with setting everything up ;w;
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

partialloser

Post by partialloser » 26 Aug 2019, 08:38

I see, waiting for new-gen is also a good idea, but here is the problem, new-gen headsets will cost an awful amount of the money.

partialloser

Post by partialloser » 26 Aug 2019, 08:39

lolin wrote:i'm under the impression that the original vive is going to keep going down in price, so i'm waiting on that (already happened, what, twice?)

i don't want to invest 800+ into VR, also i'm poor

:D yeah, that is a problem for me as well, I was looking for used HTC Vive headset, just wanted to know if it was good enough.

egg
United States of America

Achievements

Post by egg » 26 Aug 2019, 19:58

From what I've heard, the actual head piece is pretty standard but people tend to prefer the controllers over the Oculus ones because the tracking is supposedly better o:
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

toshioa
Veteran Member
Great Britain

Achievements

Post by toshioa » 27 Aug 2019, 11:31

I'm fortunate enough to have my own PSVR system and access to the HTC Vive at work each and every day and I can say for definite it is worth it. When it first emerged, there weren't that many games or experiences available and, being a brand new concept, it took a lot of time to develop these. Now, however, there is an abundance of really good titles and it's becoming more and more accessible :) I can't speak for which headset is best as I've only used the Vive and PSVR but I can say both have their strengths and weaknesses but ultimately, both deliver a fantastic experience that is a lot of fun. On a side note, the first couple of times you play VR you will most likely get motion sickness... it's just kinda a VR thing but if you continue playing, you will become more accustomed to it and will be able to play longer and longer without the need for a break :)

toshioa
Veteran Member
Great Britain

Achievements

Post by toshioa » 27 Aug 2019, 11:32

Oh and in terms of costs; the PSVR will set you back about £200 brand new these days - this is a REALLY good buy for anyone who wants to dip their toes in to VR without having to fork out for a powerful computer and graphics card on top of the headset costs :)

partialloser

Post by partialloser » 27 Aug 2019, 13:15

Thank you guys for replies, now I have some idea what it is, planning to buy used HTC Vive, my PC can handle it. 16 GB ram, processor 3960x, GPU 1080ti

toshioa
Veteran Member
Great Britain

Achievements

Post by toshioa » 28 Aug 2019, 08:49

partialloser wrote:Thank you guys for replies, now I have some idea what it is, planning to buy used HTC Vive, my PC can handle it. 16 GB ram, processor 3960x, GPU 1080ti

Yeah your PC will handle it and some :) It's a good decision truth be told :) There are plenty of free games and experiences available through Steam and I can recommend nVidia VR Funhouse game which is also free and is a great introduction to the controls :)

LikkleMel
TimeLord Member
TimeLord Member
Great Britain

Post by LikkleMel » 13 Sep 2019, 20:17

I have the Playstation VR and for what I wanted it for, basically Beat Saber it is pretty good :) I would like to get the HTC but I need a place of my own as my room isn't really big enough.
~Let our bodies lay, mark our hearts with shame
Let our blood in vain, you find God in pain~

partialloser

Post by partialloser » 15 Sep 2019, 09:21

LikkleMel wrote:I have the Playstation VR and for what I wanted it for, basically Beat Saber it is pretty good :) I would like to get the HTC but I need a place of my own as my room isn't really big enough.

Lack of space is problematic when it comes to VR that is for sure. Maybe it will be okay if you will move only with the help of joysticks, I have seen people doing it on YouTube.

progeek
Great Britain

Post by progeek » 15 Sep 2019, 09:24

partialloser wrote:Lack of space is problematic when it comes to VR that is for sure. Maybe it will be okay if you will move only with the help of joysticks, I have seen people doing it on YouTube.

Generally speaking, it is something like blink right or teleportation, from location A to location B inside VR. You use a joystick and mark the location where you want to move, you can use it, but walking yourself makes VR more realistic and enjoyable. On the other hand, if you don't have free space you can walk inside a VR world with a helo of joysticks.
Anime is ❤, so are flashgames 🎮. :goomy:

Purplegems3
Standard Member
Great Britain

Achievements

Is VR worth it?

Post by Purplegems3 » 26 Jun 2020, 13:36

I only got a VR (family usage) last christmas but it's not that bad