Backseat Gamer.

Discuss anything relating to Video Gaming, Tabletop Gaming, Card Games even Roleplaying.

Moderators: LikkleMel, Ali-Renegade, LilMissLarBear

Kairi
Veteran Member
Great Britain

Achievements

Backseat Gamer.

Post by Kairi » 28 May 2019, 10:19

Ok i want to know everyones opinion on these lovely types of gamers.

In my live stream the other day, we had a backseat gamer, not suggesting where to go and what to do, but demanding it... Also getting incredibly hostile and angry when we didn't follow his instructions..

Personally i hate them, especially when i'm streaming... I want to show how i do it, how i stumble through the game/ goof around and have fun.

So do you backseat game at times or what are your thoughts?

Nishizono Shinji
Veteran Member
Great Britain

Achievements

Re: Backseat Gamer.

Post by Nishizono Shinji » 28 May 2019, 10:22

Sometimes yes, if I'm watching someone play a game ive completed I'd be like "no don't do that, go this way etc." but that's usually with friends I'd never go on someones stream and tell them how to play a game, that's just rude. Maybe if they were stuck and asked the channel for advice I'd say something.
Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

toshioa
Veteran Member
Great Britain

Achievements

Post by toshioa » 28 May 2019, 10:24

Kairi wrote:Ok i want to know everyones opinion on these lovely types of gamers.

In my live stream the other day, we had a backseat gamer, not suggesting where to go and what to do, but demanding it... Also getting incredibly hostile and angry when we didn't follow his instructions..

Personally i hate them, especially when i'm streaming... I want to show how i do it, how i stumble through the game/ goof around and have fun.

So do you backseat game at times or what are your thoughts?

Ahhh the streamer's achilles heel! I can understand completely from a streaming point of view how annoying and frustrating this can be. Whilst I'm not a streamer myself, I understand the concept of streaming; it's about the journey, not the ending and to have some one in your chat rushing that journey and dictating everything certainly would spoil the immersion. I try my hardest not to backseat game and unless I'm asked otherwise, tend to allow the player to just enjoy. That said, I also don't tend to watch other people play games as I'd prefer to just play them myself :)

Kairi
Veteran Member
Great Britain

Achievements

Post by Kairi » 28 May 2019, 10:32

[mention=113825]Nishizono Shinji[/mention] I understand what you mean when it comes to friends ect and i have completed a lot of games... so it happens often..But even then i let them try and find there way through it...Even though i can be pulling my hair out at how obvious it is. For me it's because i feel like backseat gaming, if you've played the game and ace'd it and try to force you knowledge onto someone who hasn't played/ completed it... it will in a sense deprive them of the experience you've already had. I will only step in and help in that manner when asked or begged, even then i try to keep it at a minimum.

[mention=100664]toshioa[/mention] Yeah i get that, when it comes to watching streams... In a sense you are watching that persons journey with the game, people tend to watch to see how you get through it and overcome obstacles....To which me and Sandy tend to start of a stream with everything going beautiful and then by the end of it we have PTSD, low supplies and our survivor group has been halfed. We liked to goof around and it seem'd to piss this guy off so much. Major thing i found as well when streaming and a backseat gamer comes it, the chat will hate it and it can end up forcing people to leave.

I've now enlisted 2 moderators on my twitch [mention=100291]Fate[/mention] and [mention=93041]Usagi[/mention] who despise back seat gamers XD I can see from there point of view, but it also brings the question to backseat gamers... Why go onto a site, watch people play a game you've already completed... just to forceably tell them what to do...Want things entirely to go your way in that stream, why not go play the game yourself then.

toshioa
Veteran Member
Great Britain

Achievements

Post by toshioa » 28 May 2019, 11:01

[mention=30109]Kairi[/mention] That's what I would find most inviting about watching a stream; just the fun and unexpectedness of it all. I'd prefer to watch someone who is laid back and enjoying what they are doing themselves - I think if the streamer is having fun, the audience will naturally have fun too - fun become contagious almost. I think having a couple of moderators who are opposed to backseat gaming is definitely a smart move and will be welcomed by our viewers and I agree, I see absolutely no point commenting on someone elses gaming experience. The whole idea of a game is that each person has their own play through and gets something unique to them out of it; so what if you missed that treasure chest; so what if you could have beaten that boss a lot quicker; so what if that death could have been easily avoided - the point is, each individual gets something different out of a game :)

Kairi
Veteran Member
Great Britain

Achievements

Post by Kairi » 28 May 2019, 11:29

toshioa wrote:[mention=30109]Kairi[/mention] That's what I would find most inviting about watching a stream; just the fun and unexpectedness of it all. I'd prefer to watch someone who is laid back and enjoying what they are doing themselves - I think if the streamer is having fun, the audience will naturally have fun too - fun become contagious almost. I think having a couple of moderators who are opposed to backseat gaming is definitely a smart move and will be welcomed by our viewers and I agree, I see absolutely no point commenting on someone elses gaming experience. The whole idea of a game is that each person has their own play through and gets something unique to them out of it; so what if you missed that treasure chest; so what if you could have beaten that boss a lot quicker; so what if that death could have been easily avoided - the point is, each individual gets something different out of a game :)

Well if you like unexpectedness and just complete randomness https://www.twitch.tv/kairinunjutsu/videos Enjoy.. we aren't even sure what is happening half the time.

Tanya
Bookworm Member
Bookworm Member
Japan

Post by Tanya » 28 May 2019, 11:44

I have no opinions on streaming as I've never streamed. But I can say my sister doesn't play solos unless she has some directing her to a degree. Not completely, mind. She prefers games which she can play with others.

That doesn't go for every kind of game of course.
本好きの下剋上

Kairi
Veteran Member
Great Britain

Achievements

Post by Kairi » 28 May 2019, 14:09

Tanya wrote:I have no opinions on streaming as I've never streamed. But I can say my sister doesn't play solos unless she has some directing her to a degree. Not completely, mind. She prefers games which she can play with others.

That doesn't go for every kind of game of course.

Well some people do enjoy having a backseat gamer to help.

Personally i don't lol

PharaohAtem
Atem Rank
Atem Rank
United States of America

Post by PharaohAtem » 28 May 2019, 16:18

Yeah I dint get it it's like I'm steaming what I'm doing don't tell what to do if I stumble or do something wrong I was t to do it's apart of gaming.

ImageImageImageImageImageImage

lolin
Veteran Member
United States of America

Post by lolin » 28 May 2019, 16:54

I can be guilty of this sometimes, honestly. Especially if it's a game I'm really good at/played a lot of. If someone asks me for help, at least, I'm gonna give it, but it can be hard to resist the urge to blurt out "GO LEFT DAMNIT" or whatever.

Fate
Veteran Member
United States of America

Achievements

Post by Fate » 28 May 2019, 16:57

Kairi wrote:
I've now enlisted 2 moderators on my twitch [mention=100291]Fate[/mention] and [mention=93041]Usagi[/mention] who despise back seat gamers XD I can see from there point of view, but it also brings the question to backseat gamers... Why go onto a site, watch people play a game you've already completed... just to forceably tell them what to do...Want things entirely to go your way in that stream, why not go play the game yourself then.

Correction: I hate anyone pisses you off
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

lolin
Veteran Member
United States of America

Post by lolin » 28 May 2019, 17:11

time to go be rude in Kairi's stream~

lloydiboy
Veteran Member
Great Britain

Achievements

Post by lloydiboy » 28 May 2019, 22:27

I have to hold my hands up to this, although I only do it with my other half, and normally because she asked for the help in the first place. But in general I'm not great at communicating and I also can sound a bit patronising so it doesn't always come off well...
Come sing along with me

3DS Friend Code: 4983-6223-5296
Switch Nintendo Network ID: Lloydiboy
SW 7675-3547-3883

PM me to add me and I will add you back :)

Nishizono Shinji
Veteran Member
Great Britain

Achievements

Post by Nishizono Shinji » 28 May 2019, 23:26

Are there any particular streamers or games you guys like to watch?
Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

lolin
Veteran Member
United States of America

Post by lolin » 28 May 2019, 23:29

I pretty much only watch streams of friends and the like. I'm not a huge fan of watching a random streamer, or sometimes even watching like a Let's Play. I much prefer to play the game myself.