How much DLC is too much?

Discuss anything relating to Video Gaming, Tabletop Gaming, Card Games even Roleplaying.

Moderators: LikkleMel, Ali-Renegade, LilMissLarBear

Nishizono Shinji
Veteran Member
Great Britain

Achievements

Re: How much DLC is too much?

Post by Nishizono Shinji » 29 May 2019, 13:36

I think one of the biggest problems is publishers pushing deadlines and monetary targets onto game devs which cause them to take these measures to try meet them.
Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

Nishizono Shinji
Veteran Member
Great Britain

Achievements

Post by Nishizono Shinji » 30 May 2019, 07:57

i'm not saying its the only reason we have so many bad practices in terms of DLC but it contributes to the issue. Jim Sterling has done many episodes on the subject and is well versed in the inner working of game publishers and developers.
Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

Cori
Canada

Post by Cori » 30 May 2019, 08:14

I think more than 4 is too much.

toshioa
Veteran Member
Great Britain

Achievements

Post by toshioa » 30 May 2019, 09:55

lolin wrote:This is the exact reason why DLC isn't going anywhere. People who buy games have already shown that they're willing to grab that extra content, regardless of how minor it is, just for what at the time seems to be only a little bit of money. DLC costs add up fast overall when you look at how much you're spending on it total. I'll admit to loving some of the DLC that comes out for the games I've bought them for, but some of it I straight up didn't need nor should I have purchased. Steam, I feel like is a bit notorious at this and definitely predatory because of it. I pretty much avoid buying games from Steam at this point unless I'm going to play them immediately because when the sales roll around and you see you can get Batman Arkham Restaurant 2: The Burgerler for $20 PLUS the $20 DLC for $10 extra, that little bit of you that says "This is an amazing deal and I need it" flags the game as something you should purchase.

I have heard so many stories about unplayed DLC or just straight up unplayed games from Steam and other services like it. The industry is heavily predatory and will eke out whatever money it can from you. This is one of several reasons I don't like being associated with gaming or the gamer title. That said, I know predatory markets exist in almost every industry and corporations will try to get you to buy anything in such a fashion, but gaming itself is rife with these kinds of purchases and plots and as much as I don't like seeing people abused in such a way, their wallets speak for them and they're doing it themselves.

At least indie games and studios are on the rise, and we don't see as much cockamamie BS from them because they don't have big studio execs breathing down their necks about this sort of thing. /longrant

This is a very well thought out response and one I have to admit I agree with. I too have fallen prey to the Steam Sales and have a huge collection of games, many of which I have never even installed let alone played. I have stopped purchasing Steam games for the time being until I can actually say I've played most (if not all) of the current games I own on there. As you said though, it's 100% on us - at the end of the day, we have to enter our card and billing details to complete a purchase; we aren't forced to do it!

Nishizono Shinji
Veteran Member
Great Britain

Achievements

Post by Nishizono Shinji » 30 May 2019, 10:04

toshioa wrote:This is a very well thought out response and one I have to admit I agree with. I too have fallen prey to the Steam Sales and have a huge collection of games, many of which I have never even installed let alone played. I have stopped purchasing Steam games for the time being until I can actually say I've played most (if not all) of the current games I own on there. As you said though, it's 100% on us - at the end of the day, we have to enter our card and billing details to complete a purchase; we aren't forced to do it!

no we aren't forced but game companies use psychological tactics and very clever marketing to maximise the chances that you will spend the money.

toshioa
Veteran Member
Great Britain

Achievements

Post by toshioa » 30 May 2019, 10:35

Nishizono Shinji wrote:no we aren't forced but game companies use psychological tactics and very clever marketing to maximise the chances that you will spend the money.

Aye, this is true but that's what marketing is all about; make us believe we MUST buy a product :) I guess ultimately if you as an individual are happy to pay more for extra content on an existing game then that's that. There will always be some DLC that is more worth while than other. What needs to stop is 'Day 1 DLC' - that is utter bollocks!

Kairi
Veteran Member
Great Britain

Achievements

Post by Kairi » 31 May 2019, 10:37

Screw it.... Watch this [mention=1]Ferefire[/mention] will bring out DLC for AL XD

Kairi
Veteran Member
Great Britain

Achievements

Post by Kairi » 01 Jun 2019, 00:26

Sadaku wrote:There's new DLC for Anime League?! Why was I not informed?! o.o

You have to slap Mike about it.

toshioa
Veteran Member
Great Britain

Achievements

Post by toshioa » 03 Jun 2019, 10:39

:lol: Not sure my wallet can handle any more DLC, AL or otherwise :P

lolin
Veteran Member
United States of America

Post by lolin » 03 Jun 2019, 15:26

toshioa wrote:Aye, this is true but that's what marketing is all about; make us believe we MUST buy a product :) I guess ultimately if you as an individual are happy to pay more for extra content on an existing game then that's that. There will always be some DLC that is more worth while than other. What needs to stop is 'Day 1 DLC' - that is utter bollocks!

Yep, tactics like that are on the rise in EVERY MARKET, unfortunately. A lot of people fall pray to them without even realizing it. End of the day, marketing is just about getting people to buy your product in any capacity in any situation, and it's a little bit dangerous sometimes. I still get suckered into buying special editions for "bonus" stuff. : /

toshioa
Veteran Member
Great Britain

Achievements

Post by toshioa » 04 Jun 2019, 10:03

lolin wrote:Yep, tactics like that are on the rise in EVERY MARKET, unfortunately. A lot of people fall pray to them without even realizing it. End of the day, marketing is just about getting people to buy your product in any capacity in any situation, and it's a little bit dangerous sometimes. I still get suckered into buying special editions for "bonus" stuff. : /

This said and done, I'm not actually all that excited for any up and coming games. Nothing has really caught my eye :XD: I'm guessing it's because I just have FAR too many games to play already and adult 'stuff' keeps getting in my way! :(

Nishizono Shinji
Veteran Member
Great Britain

Achievements

Post by Nishizono Shinji » 06 Jun 2019, 17:48

Kairi wrote:Screw it.... Watch this [mention=1]Ferefire[/mention] will bring out DLC for AL XD

there's already in game premium currency so why not :P