Kingdom Hearts 3 dev fired for being a sexual harassment victim

Discuss anything relating to Video Gaming, Tabletop Gaming, Card Games even Roleplaying.

Moderators: LikkleMel, Ali-Renegade, LilMissLarBear

BlackNoise

Kingdom Hearts 3 dev fired for being a sexual harassment victim

Post by BlackNoise » 20 May 2019, 16:27

Everyone, you should click this link and watch the video right now.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kRYh9Zuj9Mg

To give you the run down, this dev who worked on Kingdom Hearts 3 was fired from Square Enix when he reported that his female co-worker had frequently sexually harassed him in the workplace, often in plain sight of other coworkers. The company HR dismissed his report, accusing him of having "enjoyed" the harassment since it took him a while to muster the courage to come forward. Actually, they acknowledged that it happened but called it a joke and swept it under the rug.

So he has contacted numerous news outlets such as Kotaku and The Mary Sue, but none of them reported his story.
He needs our support by sharing this video everywhere we can and even spread the story by word of mouth.

Sexual abuse is serious and it can be perpetrated by anyone, whether it be a man or a woman but the mainstream media likes to pretend that isn't the case.

Kairi
Veteran Member
Great Britain

Achievements

Re: Kingdom Hearts 3 dev fired for being a sexual harassment victim

Post by Kairi » 20 May 2019, 17:35

BlackNoise wrote:Everyone, you should click this link and watch the video right now.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kRYh9Zuj9Mg

To give you the run down, this dev who worked on Kingdom Hearts 3 was fired from Square Enix when he reported that his female co-worker had frequently sexually harassed him in the workplace, often in plain sight of other coworkers. The company HR dismissed his report, accusing him of having "enjoyed" the harassment since it took him a while to muster the courage to come forward. Actually, they acknowledged that it happened but called it a joke and swept it under the rug.

So he has contacted numerous news outlets such as Kotaku and The Mary Sue, but none of them reported his story.
He needs our support by sharing this video everywhere we can and even spread the story by word of mouth.

Sexual abuse is serious and it can be perpetrated by anyone, whether it be a man or a woman but the mainstream media likes to pretend that isn't the case.

Completely agree'd, it doesn't matter gender or age, sexual abuse is sexual abuse..... hell just plain abuse is abuse.. doesn't matter the gender.

That is completely ridiculous though.

BlackNoise

Post by BlackNoise » 20 May 2019, 18:24

Thank you for your reply, Kairi (How strangely appropriate...)
Again, please like and share that video with your friends.

Everybody needs to know.

lolin
Veteran Member
United States of America

Post by lolin » 20 May 2019, 18:29

I feel like sexual harassment of any gender to another gender is woefully underreported in the gaming industry. Harassment in general is underreported, because of several factors, such as the one in this circumstance where people don't believe them/that they were upset by it. Anyone can harass anyone and it's often hard to do anything about it.

DragonOfDojima
Ensouled Member
Ensouled Member
Great Britain

Post by DragonOfDojima » 20 May 2019, 18:33

Well no one deserves too be harassed like that does not matter who the person is who did it

Kairi
Veteran Member
Great Britain

Achievements

Post by Kairi » 20 May 2019, 18:59

[mention=63700]BlackNoise[/mention] I will pass it around and yes strangely appropriate in a sense, but Kairi is my actual name.

[mention=881]lolin[/mention] Completely agree'd either people don't believe or are to scared/think no one will believe them when they do come forward, which is stupid and so backwards.

lolin
Veteran Member
United States of America

Post by lolin » 20 May 2019, 19:06

There's more factors than that. Things like company hierarchy and the threat of losing your job, blackmail, shame, circumstances that put you at risk of more physical or mental harm, social standings/friendships. Really, abuse is far, far more complicated than people would even want to admit, and that's part of the reason I get pissy when people say "Well, they should have just reported it." because sometimes you can't, sometimes it doesn't matter if you do, sometimes they don't believe you, etc. There's so many factors in ever circumstance in life and nobody thinks about those and I know I'm guilty of it as well, but life is seriously complicated and you can't just simplify it down to "Oh, well just do this and it'll solve all your problems."

Kairi
Veteran Member
Great Britain

Achievements

Post by Kairi » 20 May 2019, 19:08

lolin wrote:There's more factors than that. Things like company hierarchy and the threat of losing your job, blackmail, shame, circumstances that put you at risk of more physical or mental harm, social standings/friendships. Really, abuse is far, far more complicated than people would even want to admit, and that's part of the reason I get pissy when people say "Well, they should have just reported it." because sometimes you can't, sometimes it doesn't matter if you do, sometimes they don't believe you, etc. There's so many factors in ever circumstance in life and nobody thinks about those and I know I'm guilty of it as well, but life is seriously complicated and you can't just simplify it down to "Oh, well just do this and it'll solve all your problems."

I completely understand what you mean, i have been on the receiving end of it, in more ways than one and it's hell. Pure and simple..hell.

PharaohAtem
Atem Rank
Atem Rank
United States of America

Post by PharaohAtem » 20 May 2019, 20:40

lolin wrote:I feel like sexual harassment of any gender to another gender is woefully underreported in the gaming industry. Harassment in general is underreported, because of several factors, such as the one in this circumstance where people don't believe them/that they were upset by it. Anyone can harass anyone and it's often hard to do anything about it.

Yeah. My first job there was a guy that was harrassing all the women including me but the boss who was his friend didn't want t to believe e it that guy was probably joking. There were times I wished I had a recorder or something. That's the thing it's a he said she said thing and they just brush it off, because they don't want the plabisiry really. Ugg

ImageImageImageImageImageImage