If you could make a video game what would it be and what kind of characters?

Discuss anything relating to Video Gaming, Tabletop Gaming, Card Games even Roleplaying.

Moderators: LikkleMel, Ali-Renegade, LilMissLarBear

PharaohAtem
Atem Rank
Atem Rank
United States of America

Post by PharaohAtem » 19 Apr 2019, 04:16

What type of game?
what characters

ImageImageImageImageImageImage

Nishizono Shinji
Veteran Member
Great Britain

Achievements

Re: If you could make a video game what would it be and what kind of characters?

Post by Nishizono Shinji » 30 Apr 2019, 11:27

I'd make a Sci Fi MMORPG (there is a ridiculous amount of fantasy within this genre). I'd like a game on the scale of WoW but set in space with various alien races and cool planets a sort of WoW meets Mass Effect.
Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

PharaohAtem
Atem Rank
Atem Rank
United States of America

Re: If you could make a video game what would it be and what kind of characters?

Post by PharaohAtem » 01 May 2019, 17:57

I would like to do some type of space pirate one, spaceships, different planets and stuff like that.

Nishizono Shinji
Veteran Member
Great Britain

Achievements

Post by Nishizono Shinji » 02 May 2019, 09:18

PharaohAtem wrote:I would like to do some type of space pirate one, spaceships, different planets and stuff like that.

Maybe we could combine our ideas a Space MMORPG with a pirate faction :D
Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

PharaohAtem
Atem Rank
Atem Rank
United States of America

Post by PharaohAtem » 02 May 2019, 12:03

Sounds good to me

Ttosk
Veteran Member
Canada

Achievements

Post by Ttosk » 04 May 2019, 19:29

A fantasy rpg all the way. Fights wizard etc. All that fantasy magical good ness. Need time to thing to make it more original, wouldn't be a final fantasy clone or the like.

Nishizono Shinji
Veteran Member
Great Britain

Achievements

Post by Nishizono Shinji » 05 May 2019, 11:46

Ttosk wrote:A fantasy rpg all the way. Fights wizard etc. All that fantasy magical good ness. Need time to thing to make it more original, wouldn't be a final fantasy clone or the like.
Fantasy RPGs are easily my favourite type of game it's just there are sooooo many of them already it'd be hard to come up with an original concept without someone saying it's a rip off/clone of something else. The sci-fi genre doesnt have a single MMORPG that's on the level of something like WoW, Nevewinter, Guild Wars and Tera etc. Star Wars: KOTR come close but that's it.

GraceMellody
Veteran Member
Great Britain

Post by GraceMellody » 08 May 2019, 16:10

Smash bros
But with LoL characters
~UK Artist, Idol & Mother~
@MelodiqueArt

GraceMellody
Veteran Member
Great Britain

Post by GraceMellody » 09 May 2019, 17:01

It would be amazing
~UK Artist, Idol & Mother~
@MelodiqueArt

Rysiu

Achievements

Post by Rysiu » 09 May 2019, 22:16

I'm actually working my way through a fantasy MMORPG system of my own in a universe I've been working on for like 10 years now. The character development system is heavily inspired by path of exile in terms of freedom of choice. The scope of the development system is quite vast. There are no set classes for players and skills are divided into three tier - novice, expert and master tier. Every character can learn every novice ability/spell however their growth is limited. There's 30 general skill trees which can be divided into three main categories - Combat / Rogue-like / Magic each of the skill trees has up to 15 (if mastered) general abilities which are learnt upon reaching predefined level. Each skill tree has also corresponding talent tree consisting of 49 general talents (45 expert + 4 master) which can be picked by spending talent points (something like old school WoW). Skills do not prevent any character from using any type of equipment however they will influence how effective character is with said gear. Characters can pick up to 4 skills which they want to expertise in and then 2 out these 4 in which they want to master. There is only a slight gap between Master and Expert skills which should enable players to run through end-game content. The two masteries which a player picks ascend them to their respective master class (435 in total). Each master class has 3 signature skills of significant power yet only one of them can be active at a time. Additionally each master class has smaller class tree (similar to Path of Exile's Ascendancies) which offers a twist to the gameplay it can be used in conjunction with expert abilities or built in such a way to empower mastered ones and synergise with signature skills. Master classes are based on concept rather than the average of 2 mastered skills. For example a person who wished to master cloth and light armour will become Martial Artist who can either fight using its bare hands being unable to equip weapons but instead gets 2 slots for trinkets (trinkets provide utility bonuses and abilities) it's damage is instead based on the type of gloves one wears. The same can also spec in signature ability allowing them to mitigate incoming damage and convert it into bonus damage for themselves or learn drunken master technique which scales its stats as the toxicity level increases. It can be mixed with other 2 expert abilities, so you can be stealthy wrestler, drunken mage or a healer who can't be really arsed with avoiding damage... or whatever sick combination you can image. And that's just one of 435 concepts. There are also 6 factions players can join each of them has their nemeses and potential allies however players are not forced to join one or stay in one forever this of course has certain consequences. Factions are:

Requiem - Brought to life couple hundreds years ago during the first cursed war to tip the scales in favour of continental kingdoms against the war with the Hellspawn, with time they've learned their influence is soley dependant on the threat from beyond the rift so they've forfeit their original cause in order to drain continental resources and grow in power themselves.

Hellspawn - Got to the world through the rift on the island of Azarai, their ultimate goal is to pave the way through the realm of humans for Morterius god of destruction so he can slay and consume soul of his sister Sfere, goddess of creation in his attempt to be reborn as the one primal deity. The rift itself is a remnant of the primal god Memor whose creations were never perfect and parts of its old worlds would get mixed with the new ones.

Outlaws - local groups of bandits united under one banner they operate from underground and pull the strings of Azarai's politics.

Imperials - Loyal to the continental state of Nemezia, they came to Azarai together with Requiem as a support troops, for many years Requiem was dependent both financially and legally from Nemezia on the continent. Imperials profit most from glass production which takes place in the desert city of Ghald east of Azarai.

Rebellion - Part of requiem which followed Drax Pledger after the split of Requiem. They disrespect Requiem's laws and their politics. Rebelion is true to the original Requiem goal which was to eliminate threat from the Hellspawn and find a solution to close the rift.

The Shunned - Part of Hellspawn who have foreseen the consequences of Morterius eventual success and for the sake of their own existences decided to fight their own kin and stop their creator from awakening as Memor.

Atm I focus on character development which means I enjoy Excel from time to time. Current progress is:

435/435 master class concepts
225/1350 signature skills designed
450/450 general skills designed
340/1470 general talents designed

Once this is completed I plan moving on to designing Master Class talent trees.
The world itself is there in my head a lot of it is on the paper as well but it's imposible to measure it with numbers ;p

Nishizono Shinji
Veteran Member
Great Britain

Achievements

Post by Nishizono Shinji » 13 May 2019, 11:43

wow [mention=112996]Rysiu[/mention] looks like you've put a lot of thought into that, are you a game designer or I this just a hobby for you atm? do you have a dev team that can implement your concept?

Rysiu

Achievements

Post by Rysiu » 13 May 2019, 23:29

Nishizono Shinji wrote:wow [mention=112996]Rysiu[/mention] looks like you've put a lot of thought into that, are you a game designer or I this just a hobby for you atm? do you have a dev team that can implement your concept?

That's the thing I've got no team whatsoever, it's all on the paper atm I've written myself kind of "damage algorithm" in excel so I can do some balancing "on paper" which takes several variables both active and passive into account. And yeah I've been thinking bout it for years and finally began to design it last year. I have no professional game design experience but things just happen to come make sense I guess it's my intuition of sorts. By the end of the year I might get some concept art as there are graphic designers among my friends, both 3d and 2d but since they work full time I can't bother them with every piece I've got. I also happen to know UI designer so might try to get unified talent tree designed at some point in the future and not go bankrupt in the process xD I simply miss the old days where MMOs were about interaction between players. Being realistic it's probably going to take me 2-3 more years to put all the core concept together and then who knows might actually find someone interested in implementing it.

Nishizono Shinji
Veteran Member
Great Britain

Achievements

Post by Nishizono Shinji » 14 May 2019, 12:40

[mention=112996]Rysiu[/mention] good luck with that project I hope it get some traction and gets made some time, let me know when it ready for alpha testing :p

Rysiu

Achievements

Post by Rysiu » 14 May 2019, 14:24

Yeah I hope so as well would be nice to revitalise the genre a little bit

Purplegems3
Standard Member
Great Britain

Achievements

Post by Purplegems3 » 23 Jun 2020, 13:30

I would make a episodic adventure video game about Hogwarts life (set after 2nd Wizarding War or something) which would be more like the Telltale Series stuff instead of Hogwarts Mystery. I'd probably make characters which were somewhat similar to whatever hogwarts house they got sorted into because that is what they value but not all of the traits they value to shake it up a bit.