Sonic The Hedgehog

Discuss anything relating to Video Gaming, Tabletop Gaming, Card Games even Roleplaying.

Moderators: LikkleMel, Ali-Renegade, LilMissLarBear

Rayl
Veteran Member
Great Britain

Achievements

Sonic The Hedgehog

Post by Rayl » 25 Apr 2021, 20:51

I imagine that it could very well happen at E3 this year since it's making a comeback, especially if you factor in that E3 is just prior to the actual anniversary date of Sonic 1's launch.

But i'd have no idea what i'd actually want to see from Sega at this point.

GraceMellody
Veteran Member
Great Britain

Sonic The Hedgehog

Post by GraceMellody » 26 Apr 2021, 16:16

Heyitslaurenk wrote:
25 Apr 2021, 20:08
What are you hoping for, @GraceMellody if there was ever going to be an announcement? Just out of curiosity!
Ideally i'd just be happy with a new main series game, but if the rumours about a 3D package (like mario 3D all stars) are true then i'd be double happy :P
~UK Artist, Idol & Mother~
@MelodiqueArt

Rayl
Veteran Member
Great Britain

Achievements

Sonic The Hedgehog

Post by Rayl » 26 Apr 2021, 16:52

GraceMellody wrote:
26 Apr 2021, 16:16
Ideally i'd just be happy with a new main series game, but if the rumours about a 3D package (like mario 3D all stars) are true then i'd be double happy :P

There were rumors years ago about a remake for Sonic Adventure 1 (And maybe 2 as well?), maybe now's the time? A 3D Sonic pack would be nice but i dunno, i don't think it's enough personally.

Mind you, in my mind a HD remaster for 1 & 2 with some QoL changes seems to be filtered through my mind as good enough so i can't say for sure that there's no bias at play in my head.

GraceMellody
Veteran Member
Great Britain

Sonic The Hedgehog

Post by GraceMellody » 26 Apr 2021, 16:55

Rayl wrote:
26 Apr 2021, 16:52
GraceMellody wrote:

There were rumors years ago about a remake for Sonic Adventure 1 (And maybe 2 as well?), maybe now's the time? A 3D Sonic pack would be nice but i dunno, i don't think it's enough personally.

Mind you, in my mind a HD remaster for 1 & 2 with some QoL changes seems to be filtered through my mind as good enough so i can't say for sure that there's no bias at play in my head.
Yeah if they ONLY announce that I would be a bit disappointed - it would need to be alongside a new main game in my opinion. It's been years since Forces and Mania now, we need something fresh!!
@MelodiqueArt

Rayl
Veteran Member
Great Britain

Achievements

Sonic The Hedgehog

Post by Rayl » 26 Apr 2021, 17:01

GraceMellody wrote:
26 Apr 2021, 16:55
Yeah if they ONLY announce that I would be a bit disappointed - it would need to be alongside a new main game in my opinion. It's been years since Forces and Mania now, we need something fresh!!

If they were going all in and wanted to please everybody, as impossible a task as that is with the Sonic fandom, they would actually need to:

New mainline 3D Sonic
New Mania-esque 2D Sonic
HD remastering (At minimum if not outright full on remakes) of one, if not both, Adventure games
As well as a bunch of commerative merch.

I remember them talking about a bunch of 30th Anniversary merch from the tail end of last year but that's gone practically nowhere beyond a funko pop. Still, i stand by my theory of learning more in June, hopefully not too far to wait now.

GraceMellody
Veteran Member
Great Britain

Sonic The Hedgehog

Post by GraceMellody » 26 Apr 2021, 17:08

Rayl wrote:
26 Apr 2021, 17:01
GraceMellody wrote:

If they were going all in and wanted to please everybody, as impossible a task as that is with the Sonic fandom, they would actually need to:

New mainline 3D Sonic
New Mania-esque 2D Sonic
HD remastering (At minimum if not outright full on remakes) of one, if not both, Adventure games
As well as a bunch of commerative merch.

I remember them talking about a bunch of 30th Anniversary merch from the tail end of last year but that's gone practically nowhere beyond a funko pop. Still, i stand by my theory of learning more in June, hopefully not too far to wait now.
If they announce all 4 then honestly I will throw a god damn party!
@MelodiqueArt

Rayl
Veteran Member
Great Britain

Achievements

Sonic The Hedgehog

Post by Rayl » 26 Apr 2021, 17:16

GraceMellody wrote:
26 Apr 2021, 17:08

My expectations are so low as a Sonic fan that just getting one of those things and it being good would make me go "Hey Sega, good job there." with perhaps a weak thumbs up and a deflated smile that speaks volumes about how much better they could treat Sonic as a franchise.

My recent playthroughs of many of the classic titles through to Adventure 1 & 2 have upped my caution, first time they really deemed it necessary to celebrate an anniversary we got the dreadnaught of failure that is 06 but on the other end of the scale we have Sonic Generations.

Being a fan here can be exhausting i swear, the highs are hype and the lows are infuriatingly frequent.

GraceMellody
Veteran Member
Great Britain

Sonic The Hedgehog

Post by GraceMellody » 26 Apr 2021, 17:18

Rayl wrote:
26 Apr 2021, 17:16
GraceMellody wrote:
26 Apr 2021, 17:08

My expectations are so low as a Sonic fan that just getting one of those things and it being good would make me go "Hey Sega, good job there." with perhaps a weak thumbs up and a deflated smile that speaks volumes about how much better they could treat Sonic as a franchise.

My recent playthroughs of many of the classic titles through to Adventure 1 & 2 have upped my caution, first time they really deemed it necessary to celebrate an anniversary we got the dreadnaught of failure that is 06 but on the other end of the scale we have Sonic Generations.

Being a fan here can be exhausting i swear, the highs are hype and the lows are infuriatingly frequent.
This is painfully accurate!! The bar is so low, but hopefully they'll give us something good this time. Given how long it's been since the last games, I will be gutted if we have something as buggy/rushed as 06 or Boom Rise of Lyric
@MelodiqueArt

Rayl
Veteran Member
Great Britain

Achievements

Sonic The Hedgehog

Post by Rayl » 26 Apr 2021, 17:27

GraceMellody wrote:
26 Apr 2021, 17:18
This is painfully accurate!! The bar is so low, but hopefully they'll give us something good this time. Given how long it's been since the last games, I will be gutted if we have something as buggy/rushed as 06 or Boom Rise of Lyric

I want to say that they've learned their lesson in regards to pumping out bad games like those but it is honestly hard to tell what lessons they HAVE learned since then, a lot of the interviews coming from Sega in regards to Boom signal a major amount of tone deafness that's quite frankly staggering, granted a lot of that is one person but without knowing how much they are involved in things these days it's hard to say what, if anything, has been learned.

And to be honest? While not a bad game by definition, i still feel like Forces shows that Sonic Team still doesn't know what a Sonic game experience should really be at it's core. Mania, while not perfect, at least has the charisma and attitude which has been sorely lacking for a very, very long time.

GraceMellody
Veteran Member
Great Britain

Sonic The Hedgehog

Post by GraceMellody » 26 Apr 2021, 17:29

Rayl wrote:
26 Apr 2021, 17:27
GraceMellody wrote:
26 Apr 2021, 17:18

I want to say that they've learned their lesson in regards to pumping out bad games like those but it is honestly hard to tell what lessons they HAVE learned since then, a lot of the interviews coming from Sega in regards to Boom signal a major amount of tone deafness that's quite frankly staggering, granted a lot of that is one person but without knowing how much they are involved in things these days it's hard to say what, if anything, has been learned.

And to be honest? While not a bad game by definition, i still feel like Forces shows that Sonic Team still doesn't know what a Sonic game experience should really be at it's core. Mania, while not perfect, at least has the charisma and attitude which has been sorely lacking for a very, very long time.
Honestly I do genuinely prefer Forces, my main concern is that they need to stop bringing back this classic x modern format. The fandom is clearly split between which games they prefer, it would be much better to just release 3D and classic games seperately in my opinion
@MelodiqueArt

Rayl
Veteran Member
Great Britain

Achievements

Sonic The Hedgehog

Post by Rayl » 26 Apr 2021, 17:40

GraceMellody wrote:
26 Apr 2021, 17:29
Honestly I do genuinely prefer Forces, my main concern is that they need to stop bringing back this classic x modern format. The fandom is clearly split between which games they prefer, it would be much better to just release 3D and classic games seperately in my opinion

I completley agree, the temptation to lure classic fans to newer games and ESPECIALLY vice versa is not just a futile insulting effort, it's detremental to the individual games they try it on. Classic Sonic in Modern Sonic games, even in Generations, aren't as fun as the modern Sonic sections, they just don't gel all too well.

I feel classic Sonic is it's own thing and modern is it's own thing (And hell, Adventure Sonic is it's own thing) and both should be distinct from each other. The only thing that ties them is the character and even then each era really has it's own energy and personality to it. The sooner that disctinction is put in place, the sooner Modern Sonic can finally hit that homerun that it sorely needs.

GraceMellody
Veteran Member
Great Britain

Sonic The Hedgehog

Post by GraceMellody » 26 Apr 2021, 17:49

Rayl wrote:
26 Apr 2021, 17:40
GraceMellody wrote:
26 Apr 2021, 17:29

I completley agree, the temptation to lure classic fans to newer games and ESPECIALLY vice versa is not just a futile insulting effort, it's detremental to the individual games they try it on. Classic Sonic in Modern Sonic games, even in Generations, aren't as fun as the modern Sonic sections, they just don't gel all too well.

I feel classic Sonic is it's own thing and modern is it's own thing (And hell, Adventure Sonic is it's own thing) and both should be distinct from each other. The only thing that ties them is the character and even then each era really has it's own energy and personality to it. The sooner that disctinction is put in place, the sooner Modern Sonic can finally hit that homerun that it sorely needs.
I definitely agree! The merge was fun for Generations as a one off, but bringing it back (for something that wasn't even another big anniversary thing) was silly in my opinion, and I hope they leave it now
@MelodiqueArt

Rayl
Veteran Member
Great Britain

Achievements

Sonic The Hedgehog

Post by Rayl » 27 Apr 2021, 19:10

I hadn't noticed yesterday but it actually turns out that along some other publishes that Sega were announced to be making an apperance at E3, granted that doesn't outright confirm my theory but it does make it feel a bit stronger.

Here's hoping they've got some great announcements to make!

Kai
Veteran Member
Great Britain

Achievements

Sonic The Hedgehog

Post by Kai » 27 Apr 2021, 19:18

GraceMellody wrote:
Rayl wrote:
26 Apr 2021, 16:52
GraceMellody wrote:

E3 is the last major event before the anniversary so surely they're brewing something up
Image Image Image
Anime-Planet.com - anime | manga | watch anime onlinel
Feel free to take a look and add/Follow me!

"I'm the one who decides my fate, even if I have to will that fate into existence. Make sure to never forget that." - Fang

Rayl
Veteran Member
Great Britain

Achievements

Sonic The Hedgehog

Post by Rayl » 28 Apr 2021, 22:53

https://www.segashop.eu/collections/toy ... 0th-statue

It's a start!

Spoiler:  

I think it looks pretty neat, not a collector of these kinds of things myself but it looks good regardless