Underrated Games?

Discuss anything relating to Video Gaming, Tabletop Gaming, Card Games even Roleplaying.

Moderators: LikkleMel, Ali-Renegade, LilMissLarBear

Baul
White Member
White Member
Great Britain

Achievements

Underrated Games?

Post by Baul » 26 Mar 2021, 03:05

GraceMellody wrote:
25 Mar 2021, 17:30
Nishizono Shinji wrote:
24 Mar 2021, 07:28
Children of Morta is an absolutely wonderful game that nobody talks about
Baul wrote:
25 Mar 2021, 16:09
I don't see enough people talking about ULTRAKILL.
Never heard of either of these - tell me more!   
MANKIND IS DEAD
BLOOD IS FUEL
HELL IS FULL

ULTRAKILL is kind of what you get if you mix ultraviolent 90's FPS games like Quake and DOOM with Character Action Games like DMC.

A ultra fast paced, ultraviolent shooter with a heavy lean on being skilled. Alongside the insanely fast paced FPS gameplay (Where you're moving around at mach 10) you've got the ranking system like DMC where you can pull off tricks to get a higher score and ranking in an encounter (Like parrying your own shotgun blast.) and a lot of secrets and optional stuff to find. And some cool boss fights.

Not really much of a story. But it's basically this:

Mankind's extinct.
All that's left are blood fueled robots.
You're one of those robots, V1.
Blood is running out.
Plenty of blood in hell.
Every machine, including V1 is rushing hell for blood.
Go wild. Shoot demons and stuff.

The OST is one of the best. Requiem being one of my favourite tracks from it.

Mark my words
They will be gone
You'll see them playing games, my dear
They've moved along
Cause one day in the afterlife
We'll meet again
Prophecies - Blind Guardian

GraceMellody
Veteran Member
Great Britain

Underrated Games?

Post by GraceMellody » 26 Mar 2021, 14:51

Fast paced huh.. i'd be terrible XD But it does sound fun
~UK Artist, Idol & Mother~
@MelodiqueArt

lloydiboy
Veteran Member
Great Britain

Achievements

Underrated Games?

Post by lloydiboy » 29 Mar 2021, 19:58

I felt that Starlink deserved more love. I think the awkward controller adapter, and coming at the point the toys to life boom was dying a major death (I mean if Lego couldn't survive in the toys to life genre, what the hell could!), It was doomed from the get go.

But as a ship based shooter with plenty of diversity in environments and ship load outs, it's actually a pretty fun game. Especially on the switch where you get free Star fox content!
Come sing along with me

3DS Friend Code: 4983-6223-5296
Switch Nintendo Network ID: Lloydiboy
SW 7675-3547-3883

PM me to add me and I will add you back :)

Baul
White Member
White Member
Great Britain

Achievements

Underrated Games?

Post by Baul » 08 Apr 2021, 15:10

TieredMellody wrote:
26 Mar 2021, 14:51
Fast paced huh.. i'd be terrible XD But it does sound fun

Fun, but it is hard. I've had minor trouble with bosses on the medium difficulty.

On another note

I think awesomenauts is pretty underrated now. I got it quite early on when it was mildly populated and ended up falling out with it when it went F2P. Came back a few days ago and it's pretty dead and the developers have dropped support with no plans to do anything with the IP any time soon. 200-250 people playing. Quite sad, it's a pretty decent moba.
Mark my words
They will be gone
You'll see them playing games, my dear
They've moved along
Cause one day in the afterlife
We'll meet again
Prophecies - Blind Guardian

Nishizono Shinji
Veteran Member
Great Britain

Achievements

Underrated Games?

Post by Nishizono Shinji » 21 Apr 2021, 05:38

Naughty Kitty wrote:
18 Apr 2021, 03:27
I kind of feel like Space Marine was a bit underrated it has a really good storyline and good game mechanics it just got overshadowed by big title releases when it came out if I remember although still popular with hardcore 40K fans. You don't have to be a warhammer fan to follow the story and appreciate the gameplay though.
This is a really fun game and as you mentioned didn't get the fanfare it deserved.
Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

Jannick
Great Britain

Achievements

Underrated Games?

Post by Jannick » 22 Apr 2021, 08:20

Naughty Kitty wrote:
I kind of feel like Space Marine was a bit underrated it has a really good storyline and good game mechanics it just got overshadowed by big title releases when it came out if I remember although still popular with hardcore 40K fans. You don't have to be a warhammer fan to follow the story and appreciate the gameplay though.

Hi, i haven't play warhammer before and there's a question confused me when i try to register a site, hoep you can do me a favor, thanks in advance.

Melancholy Angel
Great Britain

Achievements

Underrated Games?

Post by Melancholy Angel » 22 Apr 2021, 09:09

Jannick wrote:
22 Apr 2021, 08:20
Naughty Kitty wrote:

Hi, i haven't play warhammer before and there's a question confused me when i try to register a site, hoep you can do me a favor, thanks in advance.
I believe we're on the 9th edition of 40k

melanch0lic
Veteran Member
Great Britain

Achievements

Underrated Games?

Post by melanch0lic » 22 Apr 2021, 11:43

Beatmania IIDX, Pop'n Music, Guitar Freaks, Drummania, DDR & Stepmania are all massively underrated even though (when you reach the skill level where you can easily pass songs on expert mode) building up your skills is super-fun and quite rewarding as DDR (for example) is a great form of exercise :3!

Oh, Final Fantasy 9 is also hugely underrated, even though it's the best FF game released on the Playstation 1 that's for sure! X3
Anime-Planet.com - anime | manga | watch anime online

Melancholy Angel
Great Britain

Achievements

Underrated Games?

Post by Melancholy Angel » 22 Apr 2021, 12:54

melanch0lic wrote:
22 Apr 2021, 11:43
Oh, Final Fantasy 9 is also hugely underrated, even though it's the best FF game released on the Playstation 1 that's for sure! X3

I can see that being contentious statement. I agree that 9 is the most underrated of the PS1 FF games and it does a lot of things right. It's definitely a good game but I don't think it's better than 7 or 8.

melanch0lic
Veteran Member
Great Britain

Achievements

Underrated Games?

Post by melanch0lic » 22 Apr 2021, 14:10

Melancholy Angel wrote:
22 Apr 2021, 12:54
I can see that being contentious statement. I agree that 9 is the most underrated of the PS1 FF games and it does a lot of things right. It's definitely a good game but I don't think it's better than 7 or 8.

i agree that the statement alone is bound to inflame members here, but each to their own! X3 i prefer it over 7 and 8 because the overall storyline and gameplay seem a little less... serious, than that of FF7 and FF8! plus there are mini-games within the storyline itself which are suuuuper-fun, like the game where you dig up hidden items out of the ground using a chocobo, or performing the sword sequence in time with the crowd right at the beginning of the game :3 the card game Tetra Master is also relatively unique, something which only adds to the reasons as to why i love it, even the OST is beautiful <3

skip to 30 minutes in for an example of my favourite song from FF9's OST, chill af!

Melancholy Angel
Great Britain

Achievements

Underrated Games?

Post by Melancholy Angel » 22 Apr 2021, 15:20

I think 9 is as serious and as dark as 7 and 8. I don't know if it's to do with how the characters personalities affect the story or the way the drama is handled but 9 feels like it tries to mitigate that element of the story to make the game feel more lighthearted than it is. The music is good, but that is always the case for final fantasy. With you describing it as chill I was expect some variation of Melodies of Life, Vamo alla flamenco and you are not alone really stick out of the sound track but I don't think you could call them chill.

melanch0lic
Veteran Member
Great Britain

Achievements

Underrated Games?

Post by melanch0lic » 22 Apr 2021, 15:34

Melancholy Angel wrote:
22 Apr 2021, 15:20
I think 9 is as serious and as dark as 7 and 8. I don't know if it's to do with how the characters personalities affect the story or the way the drama is handled but 9 feels like it tries to mitigate that element of the story to make the game feel more lighthearted than it is. The music is good, but that is always the case for final fantasy. With you describing it as chill I was expect some variation of Melodies of Life, Vamo alla flamenco and you are not alone really stick out of the sound track but I don't think you could call them chill.

the overall storyline of FF9 allows it to be slightly lighthearted however, whereas the vibes throughout FF7 for example are deadly serious (this may just be me over-analysing there), which includes any kind of mini game or side quest that can be encountered throughout the game - while there is a certain degree of drama/nonsense in FF9, it is used sparingly imo, providing players with a degree of comedy (i found parts of the game amusing, like Zidane's love of Garnet/Dagger, or the adorable vibes given off by Vivi with his tall hat and lack of facial features)! Melodies of Life is pretty chill, Vamo Alla Flamenco however is a bit more upbeat i'll agree with you there! the one thing i don't appreciate about FF9 is, however, the developer's choice of final boss battle - what on earth is Necron and why is it you have to fight him to complete the game, despite Necron not being a part of the storyline prior to the battle whatsoever? it wasn't even a particularly difficult boss battle either, whereas FF7 and 8 are slightly more of a challenge which i do appreciate, i mean some of the battles i've encountered on them both have been really quite frustrating and require a level of skill which i have yet to master D: but to summarise, it really is a case of personal preference, although i can definitely see how people could disagree with my reasoning behind it all ^^;