The Netflix Thread

Where you can discuss music, movies, television, art and culture.

Moderators: Baul, Shounen_Trash, Dalawless, graciettie

MrMurphseeksLAM
Veteran Member
Great Britain

Achievements

Re: The Netflix Thread

Post by MrMurphseeksLAM » 30 May 2018, 06:26

See, I thought there's the option to just block or mute shows that you don't want to see from the Netflix menu, at least on the pc version. So I don't understand why the deal would be a problem? Unless they believe the Obamas will write and direct the next season of Stranger Things, while cancelling How To Make A Murderer?

Season 5 of Arrested Development just dropped. Still hilarious as ever, such a cursed family the Bluths are. There's always the taint left when behind the scenes issues boil over, with half the cast accused of attacking a female lead while defending an accused harasser, but it's where you draw the line between the actors and the show. It's probably good the sitcom moved to Netflix though, as it's safer for people to choose how much they watch of it. If AD was on a network it may have not been renewed due to allegations, or cancelled (like a certain Roseanne did today...)
"A gentleman never leaves a puzzle unsolved..."

Entertainment Zone Ringmasterchap
Entrance Hall Buddychap
Video Gaming Assistchap

"I think I know, I don't think I know, I don't think I think I know, I don't think I think."

Pixiedora
Veteran Member
Great Britain

Achievements

Post by Pixiedora » 31 May 2018, 07:41

I didn't know that, but yeah if that's an option why are people so butthurt over it? Just mute the stuff you don't want and enjoy the content you do!

I need to watch that but I've got so much other stuff at the moment. I am surprised they'd keep him in when everywhere else is removing his characters...

Skye
Veteran Member
United States of America

Post by Skye » 01 Jun 2018, 02:13

My wife and I binged Altered Carbon a couple months ago, and we both agreed it was pretty terrible. The setting is good and the effects are nice, but the writing is absolutely horrendous. If you can overlook cardboard characters, vanilla twists, and painfully flat dialogue for the sake of bright lights and special effects, give it a shot, but there's not much more to it than that.

To be specific, we didn't think the show was too bad until about the fifth episode (the first to take place almost entirely in a flashback). Until that point, they did a passable job of masking the poor qualities of the show by highlighting the setting and special effects, but it all ended there. That's when the "story" took center stage, and the show suffered horribly as a result. We only watched the last episodes because we felt obligated to finish the series, but we don't plan on returning for season two.
.:Stop:Breathe:Shatter:.

TheRealLuthien: Your character can blow things up by touching them
TheRealLuthien: If I knew I was going to be this fucked I wouldn't have posted!

Beex
Lucky Cat Member
Lucky Cat Member
United States of America

Post by Beex » 01 Jun 2018, 02:58

I don't care about politics on Netflix as long as they aren't one sided about it.
"Cats should stick with other cats, it's only natural."

​​​​​
A&M ~ Hogwart's Clan ~ GD

Dalawless
Veteran Member
Great Britain

Achievements

Post by Dalawless » 04 Jun 2018, 13:15

Class is now on Netflix might give it a watch..

MrMurphseeksLAM
Veteran Member
Great Britain

Achievements

Post by MrMurphseeksLAM » 05 Jun 2018, 04:15

Skye wrote:My wife and I binged Altered Carbon a couple months ago, and we both agreed it was pretty terrible. The setting is good and the effects are nice, but the writing is absolutely horrendous. If you can overlook cardboard characters, vanilla twists, and painfully flat dialogue for the sake of bright lights and special effects, give it a shot, but there's not much more to it than that.

To be specific, we didn't think the show was too bad until about the fifth episode (the first to take place almost entirely in a flashback). Until that point, they did a passable job of masking the poor qualities of the show by highlighting the setting and special effects, but it all ended there. That's when the "story" took center stage, and the show suffered horribly as a result. We only watched the last episodes because we felt obligated to finish the series, but we don't plan on returning for season two.

Agreed there. I love the Blade Runner-like worlds shows such as Altered Carbon present, but I quickly got the feeling the story was being thrown away in place of multiple excuses for special effects, gory deaths and as much naked flesh as they could throw in. It lost me at the point of the cage fight scene, where it just became mindless fight sequences. Almost felt like there was an agenda the show was trying to put out there but wasn't making it clear enough. I find shows like The 100 and Colony have done the same thing over the years.

Thor: Ragnorok just appeared on the UK Netflix which is surprisingly fast. They don't always have the biggest selection of films compared to other streaming services (especially when half of them are either home-produced or cheap b-films they just shoveled in) but they do manage to get newer films in just as fast as the others without having to pay extra.
"A gentleman never leaves a puzzle unsolved..."

Entertainment Zone Ringmasterchap
Entrance Hall Buddychap
Video Gaming Assistchap

"I think I know, I don't think I know, I don't think I think I know, I don't think I think."

Beex
Lucky Cat Member
Lucky Cat Member
United States of America

Post by Beex » 27 Jun 2018, 22:00

The have The Last Jedi now. US at least.

​​​​​

PharaohAtem
Atem Rank
Atem Rank
United States of America

Post by PharaohAtem » 28 Jun 2018, 21:02

Dalawless wrote:Class is now on Netflix might give it a watch..

It's too bad it didn'dt last long.
ImageImageImageImageImage

Beex
Lucky Cat Member
Lucky Cat Member
United States of America

Post by Beex » 29 Jun 2018, 01:11

Rewatching The Inbetweeners.

​​​​​

Dalawless
Veteran Member
Great Britain

Achievements

Post by Dalawless » 29 Jun 2018, 21:53

Watched Tau today... Its ok..

Noodle
Nostalgic Move
Nostalgic Move
United States of America

Post by Noodle » 29 Jun 2018, 23:09

Decided to start The Night Shift... was debating on starting Riverdale today, but went with the first choice.
A Guide to Noodle:
♥ Koreaboo ♥
♥ Loves: Cute things. HyunA. Candy. HyunA. Yep pretty much love HyunA. ♥

♥ Get me on Skype @ SunnyD.89 ♥
♥ Join us in Crazy League! We don't bite! ♥
♥ Birb birb birb ;3 ♥

Skye
Veteran Member
United States of America

Post by Skye » 30 Jun 2018, 05:05

MrMurphseeksLAM wrote:Agreed there. I love the Blade Runner-like worlds shows such as Altered Carbon present, but I quickly got the feeling the story was being thrown away in place of multiple excuses for special effects, gory deaths and as much naked flesh as they could throw in. It lost me at the point of the cage fight scene, where it just became mindless fight sequences. Almost felt like there was an agenda the show was trying to put out there but wasn't making it clear enough. I find shows like The 100 and Colony have done the same thing over the years.

Thor: Ragnorok just appeared on the UK Netflix which is surprisingly fast. They don't always have the biggest selection of films compared to other streaming services (especially when half of them are either home-produced or cheap b-films they just shoveled in) but they do manage to get newer films in just as fast as the others without having to pay extra.

Poe was a fun character, but unfortunately, he was the only one that had any real likeable qualities (and yes, I know the standard US spelling is "likable", but that's stupid and should be erased!)
.:Stop:Breathe:Shatter:.

TheRealLuthien: Your character can blow things up by touching them
TheRealLuthien: If I knew I was going to be this fucked I wouldn't have posted!

Beex
Lucky Cat Member
Lucky Cat Member
United States of America

Post by Beex » 26 Jul 2018, 18:41

They upgraded the profile icons. Lots of new additions as well.

​​​​​

Dalawless
Veteran Member
Great Britain

Achievements

Post by Dalawless » 13 Aug 2018, 20:42

Beex wrote:They upgraded the profile icons. Lots of new additions as well.

I changed my wifes one to the Demogorgon :haha:

Pixiedora
Veteran Member
Great Britain

Achievements

Post by Pixiedora » 14 Aug 2018, 07:45

The new series of Orange is the New Black has been released. Haven't started watching it yet as we're trying to catch up on all the Marvel stuff first. We've just started the Punisher, then we've got season 2 of Jessica Jones and Luke Cage to crack on with!