The Mandalorian || Gina Carano || Discussion

Where you can discuss music, movies, television, art and culture.

Moderators: LikkleMel, softnlil, Baul

LikkleMel
TimeLord Member
TimeLord Member
Great Britain

Post by LikkleMel » 11 Feb 2021, 20:16

Just a quick discussion on how people feel about this. This is a place where you can express your opinions, if you cannot express your opinion without attacking others then this is not the place for you. We are all human and have different opinions, let's have a good debate on this. 

39150570-9248331-Carano_who_played_the_recurring_character_Cara_Dune_on_the_Star_-a-22_1613022799292.jpg
39150570-9248331-Carano_who_played_the_recurring_character_Cara_Dune_on_the_Star_-a-22_1613022799292.jpg (38.15 KiB) Viewed 257 times
39150578-9248331-Carano_s_post_above_likened_the_experience_of_Jews_during_the_Ho-m-21_1613022790715.jpg
39150578-9248331-Carano_s_post_above_likened_the_experience_of_Jews_during_the_Ho-m-21_1613022790715.jpg (35.3 KiB) Viewed 257 times

Basically, Gina Carano was fired from Disney due to come controversial opinions she expressed. Do you guys agree with the decision or do you think it was blown out of proportion? Let me know your thoughts!

lambda-sky
Veteran Member
Great Britain

Achievements

Post by lambda-sky » 11 Feb 2021, 21:09

She got fired for telling people not to hate each other?
Yeah, that's pretty much where we are I guess.

UnmeiNoTenshi
Standard Member
Wales

Achievements

Post by UnmeiNoTenshi » 11 Feb 2021, 21:52

I think it's more how she said it rather than the message she meant to get across.

lambda-sky
Veteran Member
Great Britain

Achievements

Post by lambda-sky » 12 Feb 2021, 10:35

UnmeiNoTenshi wrote:
11 Feb 2021, 21:52
I think it's more how she said it rather than the message she meant to get across.
What do you think is wrong with the way she said it?

belsammael
Veteran Member
Netherlands

Achievements

Post by belsammael » 12 Feb 2021, 10:35

I'm not entirely surprised... it isn't the first time she has said something on social media where controversial is an understatement. At some point, there is going to be a talk with your employer about that, and if you continue to express behavior that isn't in line with your employer's policy or views, then this can unfortunately be the ultimate result of that.

I wonder if Cara Dune will disappear as a character, or if she will be recast. Social media seems to be calling out for Lucy Lawless.

No one ever listens to Zathras.

LikkleMel
TimeLord Member
TimeLord Member
Great Britain

Post by LikkleMel » 12 Feb 2021, 11:26

lambda-sky wrote:
12 Feb 2021, 10:35
UnmeiNoTenshi wrote:
11 Feb 2021, 21:52
What do you think is wrong with the way she said it?

I understand it was worded poorly because you can't seem to say anything without upsetting someone these days especially when you have a big platform so you have to be extra careful.

I also do understand her pain and frustration though, why should you keep your opinions or censor yourself because you're afraid someone is going to be offended and then try to cancel you by going after your job etc.

lambda-sky
Veteran Member
Great Britain

Achievements

Post by lambda-sky » 12 Feb 2021, 12:16

LikkleMel wrote:
12 Feb 2021, 11:26
I understand it was worded poorly because you can't seem to say anything without upsetting someone these days especially when you have a big platform so you have to be extra careful.
Was anyone offended though? For the last 5 years the same people have been comparing the president to hitler and the mexican border to nazi concentration camps, so clearly it's not offensive in principle.

It seems to me her big sin was humanizing the enemy and calling for peace. The 1% need us to keep fighting this stupid culture war because the last time all political sides agreed on something we ended up with occupy wall street. They can't let that happen again.

LikkleMel
TimeLord Member
TimeLord Member
Great Britain

Post by LikkleMel » 12 Feb 2021, 15:33

lambda-sky wrote:
12 Feb 2021, 12:16
LikkleMel wrote:
12 Feb 2021, 11:26
Was anyone offended though? For the last 5 years the same people have been comparing the president to hitler and the mexican border to nazi concentration camps, so clearly it's not offensive in principle.

It seems to me her big sin was humanizing the enemy and calling for peace. The 1% need us to keep fighting this stupid culture war because the last time all political sides agreed on something we ended up with occupy wall street. They can't let that happen again.

I'm just unsure why people were offended, to be honest. I know the Holocaust is a sensitive subject, but it was true that the higher ups were spreading the stereotypes which cascaded down to everyone else. It is like with Gypsies or Muslims and how they have been treated over the years. If Gypsies suddenly turn up somewhere even if they have the legal right to do so someone would call the police and they would send tell them to move or face being arrested.

I know from many trans friends that they don't care if you put pronouns in your bio in fact if you are clearly cis you don't need pronouns and if anything it is just more patronizing and you aren't being a good ally to the trans community. I know this opinion can vary, but the majority of the trans community don't care.

Lloydiboy
Veteran Member
Great Britain

Achievements

Post by Lloydiboy » 13 Feb 2021, 09:51

I'm hoping that this doesn't come across as ranty, but I can get pretty heated when politics gets involved.

Firstly, I think that like a lot of people in her position as an influencer of tens of thousands and maybe even millions, she has got to be careful with what she writes. The way of society these days is that you really need to be respectful of others feelings. Now I think in a lot of cases this can be taken to far, and people seem to want to find a problem in people's words when none really existed.

However I do feel that her comments have built up over the years to portray an antagonising character who isn't afraid to court controversy. Certain subjects really should be treated with care and the Holocaust is absolutely one of them. I do get that she feels frustrated with her lack of ability to express her views as a republican who supports the former president. At the moment it is a very unpopular viewpoint to have in certain circles. However despite how divisive Trump was and the way that he has split the nation in such a way, he still managed to get the support of 74 million Americans whose views should still be respected.

I feel for her, but at the end of the day, Disney sacked James Gunn after someone went digging for old tweets of his from a time when he was young and stupid and trying to be provocative. They have form in this area, so it's not a surprise that she got the kick. Should we be more sympathetic to her views, absolutely. She has that right, but likewise she also has the privilege to be a person in a place of influence, and therefore she should be careful with the words she uses. Yes she is receiving a lot of negativity about her support of Trump, but to compare it to ethnic cleansing is not going to make you any more popular with your critics.
Come sing along with me

3DS Friend Code: 4983-6223-5296
Switch Nintendo Network ID: Lloydiboy
SW 7675-3547-3883

PM me to add me and I will add you back :)

lambda-sky
Veteran Member
Great Britain

Achievements

Post by lambda-sky » 13 Feb 2021, 11:35

LikkleMel wrote:
12 Feb 2021, 15:33
I know from many trans friends that they don't care if you put pronouns in your bio in fact if you are clearly cis you don't need pronouns and if anything it is just more patronizing and you aren't being a good ally to the trans community. I know this opinion can vary, but the majority of the trans community don't care.
Someone mentioned she also committed some kind of blasphemy against gender theory. That's very counter productive when you think about it though. Imagine a popular actor you like was fired for saying she doesn't believe in God. How would you feel about Christians after that?

Lloydiboy wrote:
13 Feb 2021, 09:51
I think that like a lot of people in her position as an influencer of tens of thousands and maybe even millions, she has got to be careful with what she writes.
I know this is a popular position but why though? Do the laws of gravity suddenly change because a hollywood actor says the earth is flat? Facts don't change depending on who is talking.

Lloydiboy wrote:
at the end of the day, Disney sacked James Gunn after someone went digging for old tweets of his from a time when he was young and stupid and trying to be provocative.
You're right, I didn't know that.
>In July 2018, in reaction to Gunn's public criticisms of Donald Trump, pro-Trump commentator Mike Cernovich drew attention to tweets that Gunn wrote between 2008 and 2012, joking about topics like rape, 9/11, child abuse, and pedophilia.

Lloydiboy wrote:
Certain subjects really should be treated with care and the Holocaust is absolutely one of them.
The thing is another Disney+ actor Pedro Pascal compared the mexican border to the holocaust in a tweet and that was perfectly fine apparently. So it's not like the holocaust is this super sacred subject they're now pretending it is.

The other thing is that parts of Mulan were filmed in Xinjiang province, where Uighurs are being held in actual concentration camps and subject to "re-education" and forced sterilization. So the "Disney cares about human rights" angle doesn't wash either. At all.

LikkleMel
TimeLord Member
TimeLord Member
Great Britain

Post by LikkleMel » 13 Feb 2021, 12:24

Lloydiboy wrote:
Certain subjects really should be treated with care and the Holocaust is absolutely one of them.
lambda-sky wrote:
13 Feb 2021, 11:35
The thing is another Disney+ actor Pedro Pascal compared the mexican border to the holocaust in a tweet and that was perfectly fine apparently. So it's not like the holocaust is this super sacred subject they're now pretending it is.

The other thing is that parts of Mulan were filmed in Xinjiang province, where Uighurs are being held in actual concentration camps and subject to "re-education" and forced sterilization. So the "Disney cares about human rights" angle doesn't wash either. At all.

Correct with if I'm wrong, but wasn't this the same actor who basically compared Trump Supporters to Modern Day Nazi's and that was OK for him to keep up on his Twitter? I don't want to turn this into "white-male privilege" because I find the whole concept completely overrated, but I do have a feeling Disney had a problem with Gina to start with because she was never the type to go "yes sir, 3 bags full sir" considering her background as a fighter before becoming an actor and possibly not being the feminine Disney princess they wanted.

lambda-sky
Veteran Member
Great Britain

Achievements

Post by lambda-sky » 13 Feb 2021, 17:29

LikkleMel wrote:
13 Feb 2021, 12:24
Correct with if I'm wrong, but wasn't this the same actor who basically compared Trump Supporters to Modern Day Nazi's and that was OK for him to keep up on his Twitter? I don't want to turn this into "white-male privilege" because I find the whole concept completely overrated, but I do have a feeling Disney had a problem with Gina to start with because she was never the type to go "yes sir, 3 bags full sir" considering her background as a fighter before becoming an actor and possibly not being the feminine Disney princess they wanted.
Well Lloydiboy makes a good point, they did fire this other lefty white male for posting stupid things on twitter. So it could be that none of this is as politically motivated as the conservatives are arguing.

You're right they might have wanted to get rid of her for internal reasons and this tweet was the first semi-plausible excuse that came along.

Heyitslaurenk
Violet Member
Violet Member
Great Britain

Post by Heyitslaurenk » 10 Sep 2021, 05:23

I hope its ok if I revive this thread for a bit, I am actually getting round to watch The Madalorian and I have already watched a couple of episodes, I would like to share my thoughts per episode :)

Heyitslaurenk
Violet Member
Violet Member
Great Britain

Post by Heyitslaurenk » 10 Sep 2021, 05:24

Oops sorry i didnt read the full thread title *facepalm* should I make a new thread for general Mandalorian discussion?

Heyitslaurenk
Violet Member
Violet Member
Great Britain

Post by Heyitslaurenk » 12 Sep 2021, 08:22

I think I am just going to put this here but I have finally been getting round to watching The Mandalorian after wanting to watch the series for a while. I don't plan on binge watching it as such so it might take me a bit XD

Watched episode 3 of season 1 and I thought that this is where things are going to get really interesting! I am loving it so far and I personally think it has been really easy to follow :) There were a couple of things that I noticed that I had questions on, but I am going to cover these up just in case there isnt anyone that has seen it

Spoiler:  
Ok so my big point about this episode was when the Mandalorian returned the baby Yoda to the client with no knowledge of what they were going to do to it. While it was mentioned that it would be breaking the Guild Law if they did say, to me this was highly suspicious. Under any form of contract it should have been the right of the person who took the contract to know what was in it for them and they should have been debriefed accordingly, in this case being told what they were going to do to the bounty that was returned. I was even surprised that the Mandalorian even took the reward after that lack of information- I dont think I would have if I was in that situation imo. It came to no surprise to me that something bad was going to happen or the baby would have been used in some way which was why I thought the Mandalorian could have just noticed this earlier and just take the baby and leave.

Anyway, mini rant over lol but that was what I thought XD