Do you have to moderate your manga purchases?

Discuss anime and manga in here! From fully-fledged otaku, to new people to the genres, feel free to discuss!

Moderators: Expendable, Ojisama, Beex

Jongriffin
Standard Member
United States of America

Achievements

Post by Jongriffin » 01 Mar 2022, 02:25

I've learned that it's very easy for me to get hooked on another story. There is just so much good manga being written. I have had to focus on just four series for the time being; Claymore, Witch Hat Atelier, Children of the Whales, and One Piece. While I was at the bookstore today, I had to tell myself not to peruse the pages of another manga, in case I like it and buy it. I even limit myself. I've decided only to buy certain story arcs of One Piece. So much manga, so little funds. Anyone else have this problem? 

Momogari
Veteran Member
United States of America

Achievements

Post by Momogari » 01 Mar 2022, 02:51

Yes.
For me it's light novels.

Just because I can afford it, doesn't mean I should.

I don't care so much if I get physical books, but my behavior that annoys me is when I get hooked on a story and just buy ebook after ebook just to keep reading it. I try not to, but I spend so much more money on ebook light novels than I do to watch anime. I pay for four subscriptions to services that stream anime and it's still cheaper than what I spend on LNs on average per month just because every so often I find one goddamn story I can't put down and drop $100+ on the ebooks instead of either just waiting for the anime, spending a little more to at least have a physical copy for when the ebook service I buy them from goes under, or just giving up and ignoring it, because I also have kindle unlimited so there are plenty of things I can read for my low monthly cost so I don't need that particular series for that much money for an ephemeral token of transient entertainment. Why do I do this.

Honestly when I see a series I might like I stop looking at it if I realize I'd have to buy it. Safer to not read the synopsis, then I won't know what I'm missing.
I suppose that's not moderation, that's just being aware of my complete lack of impulse control.
Last one was So I'm a Spider, So What?
I held off for quite a while. I read the first one and said I'd stop there.
Now I "own" 13 ebooks of it instead of $117 I could have spent on tacos or some shit. That's 39 tacos yo. That's 10 meals.
sig art by hiranko sticker credits: Yaji sazi Manoue

Ojisama
Veteran Member
Great Britain

Post by Ojisama » 01 Mar 2022, 14:24

Tell me about it!

I was distraught when Tokypop pulled out of Europe. I used to get their series from discount bookshops and second hand shops, sometimes for £1 a copy. Now it's really difficult to get cheap manga. I have to choose between anime DVDs and manga copies.
To those just starting on the journey of life I say...
Bang your own drum. Walk your own path. Live wildly. Love fiercely. 
As you near the end, look back with no regrets.