Fantasy mangas similar to Claymore suggestion?

Discuss anime and manga in here! From fully-fledged otaku, to new people to the genres, feel free to discuss!

Moderators: Expendable, Ojisama, Beex

Jongriffin
Standard Member
United States of America

Achievements

Post by Jongriffin » 19 Jun 2021, 07:34

I love the manga Claymore and I’m wondering if any of you have suggestions of other fantasy mangas set in medieval settings. I know some of you may recommend Beserk but please don’t. While I respect people’s choice to read it, I don’t want anything with heavy rape and that much brutality. Claymore is brutal enough for me. Also, nudity is absolutely fine as long as it’s not over the top fan service or hentai. Speaking of over the top fan service, I hate Seven Deadly Sins.

So anything you can recommend to me with swords, sorcery, magic, monsters, and medieval kingdoms? A good storyline with intriguing characters is a must too. It cam be a shounen, a shojou, a senein, or a josei. Just to reiterate, I love Claymore, so maybe something similar to it. Thank you for any sort of suggestions.

Momogari
Veteran Member
United States of America

Achievements

Post by Momogari » 19 Jun 2021, 23:43

Rage of Bahamut. It's on Amazon IIRC. Virgin Soul (a sequel) is really, really good in both characters and story and just crazy animation quality to the point of asking what the financial point was. I think it's mostly western-ish fantasy but a lot of original ideas from what I recall.
Twelve Kingdoms. It's chinese medieval and kinda mystical folklorish but very good and has great characters. The story has several arcs that are organized well in the beginning and then it feels weird later, like one is all flashback like "oh btw here's another story of this world" so it's odd but each story is good, the larger part of it starting at the beginning is great, and I feel the characters were especially well done. This is a very close match to what you're looking for in my mind. It's on crunchyroll.
Kingdom. It's chinese three kingdoms drama. Mostly about war and battle and lots and lots of strategy and tactics, which I love but others might not. it's on funimation.
Guin Saga I remember being pretty good but I don't remember much else about it. Original fantasy I think. I just looked around for it and I don't see a place to stream it.
Garo the Animation is actually really good. Fairly western-feeling I think. At least it's not a specific culture. I think I recall it starting off as an episodic monster hunter but once the story really starts the characters get pretty interesting. At least MC does. It's on funimation
I mean there's Record of Lodoss War which is very traditional western, straight up Tolkien, but of course it's reasonably famous so I guess you've probably seen it.
Arslan Senki, Altair a Record of Battles - both medieval persian and really good. Arslan Senki especially. I don't think either had monsters. Maybe Altair had magic but I don't remember clearly. Both had good characters from what I remember. Arslan Senki is on funimation. Altair is on amazon.
Scrapped Princess is pretty good. Original fantasy. I can't remember how well-done the characters were but it's somewhat lighter so I guess I wouldn't expect super great characters but the story is pretty good and overall it's a surprisingly good quality story experience. It's on funimation.
Vinland Saga is medieval vikings. Definitely gritty like Claymore. More so. No monsters or magic though. It's a historical drama, really. It's on amazon.
Beast Player Erin. It doesn't feel like Claymore at all but it is medieval...I guess? It's very original fantasy and good and hefty drama at times but even though the story is serious half the series is from the perspective of a kid with, apart from particular tragedies, has a happy life, so sometimes it might feel closer to Yotsubato than Claymore in the beginning lol. Art style is unique. Oh dear, I can't find it. I thought it was streaming somewhere but maybe not anymore.
Spice and Wolf is medieval though I assume you've seen that too.
Oh, Akagami to Shirayuki-Hime. That was a great romance. Probably classified as Shoujo. I can't remember how well-done the characters were. And I can't remember if there were magic or monsters but I don't think so. It's on funimation.
sig art by hiranko sticker credits: Yaji sazi Manoue