Is Space Dandy TV-14 or TV-MA?

Discuss anime and manga in here! From fully-fledged otaku, to new people to the genres, feel free to discuss!

Moderators: Expendable, Ojisama, Beex

Jongriffin
Standard Member
United States of America

Achievements

Post by Jongriffin » 16 May 2021, 05:03

Not that it really matters. But I find it odd that Amazon and Youtube videos advertise Space Dandy as TV-MA, whereas the FUNimation site and their Blu-ray have a TV-14 rating on them. I have almost finished Space Dandy, and I would say for the most part it's a TV-14. I've only seen a couple of episodes where I feel like it borders on TV-MA. I mean, it's no worse than Austin Powers. In fact, I find Austin Powers a tad cruder, and those movies only got PG-13. Are TV ratings more debatable among broadcast systems than movie ratings? 

Expendable
Veteran Member
United States of America

Post by Expendable » 16 May 2021, 15:20

There is always going to be debate on how a series is going to be rated.

No episode is completely screaming suggestive dialog, coarse language, sexual activity, and violence. Instead, there are moments of them scattered throughout. But when those moments cross the lines from TV-14 to TV-MA, that episode becomes TV-MA, but it's a subjective standard. What's the difference between intensive sexual dialog to lots of sexual dialog? Strong coarse language vs crude indecent language? Where do you set the line?

It's a judgment call.