Anime Tropes

Discuss anime and manga in here! From fully-fledged otaku, to new people to the genres, feel free to discuss!

Moderators: Expendable, Ojisama, Beex

melanch0lic
Veteran Member
Great Britain

Achievements

Anime Tropes

Post by melanch0lic » 30 Apr 2021, 20:32

So anime series and movies, whilst being often unique/completely different, can provide storylines and other quirks that are very similar, recurring themes often referred to as 'tropes' (if you weren't aware of what tropes means! ^^;). With that being said, I'd like to ask you all what your favourite tropes/recurring themes are which you've encountered over the time you've all been watching anime - I'll start! :3

1) Typical Slice-Of-Life Storyline: during your typical slice-of-life themed series, if there is a male protagonist he will say that he loves a particular female character until (right at the end of the series, in most cases) he reveals (along with the female) that in fact he loves the main female protagonist instead - something which 9 times out of 10 results in them getting together before living happily ever after, examples of which can be found in series like Toradora!,

2) Maniacal Laughter: if there is a set cast of bad or evil characters, you can put money on the fact that, at some point in the series, you will hear one form of maniacal laughter or another - laughter which often has no real meaning behind it, nor does it sound particularly intimidating! An example of this can be found in most mecha/fantasy series such as The Slayers or Gurren Lagann :3 &

3) Non-Stop Talking: now I can't really complain about non-stop talking as it's something I'm guilty of myself ^^; HOWEVER, when it comes to the big boss battle found in most mecha or fantasy series, most of the episode is spent listening to each of the parties talk non-stop nonsense about how they're not going to die in vain etc, as opposed to actually fighting - this can irritate me, examples of which can be seen in the Dragonball Z series, for example!

If you know of any other particular tropes then post them here as I find them entertaining af :nekothink: :nekothink:
Anime-Planet.com - anime | manga | watch anime online

lolin
Veteran Member
United States of America

Anime Tropes

Post by lolin » 30 Apr 2021, 20:35

Nice try, but you can't fool me into looking up tropes for several hours by going on TVTropes :P

melanch0lic
Veteran Member
Great Britain

Achievements

Anime Tropes

Post by melanch0lic » 30 Apr 2021, 22:00

Lolin wrote:
30 Apr 2021, 20:35
Nice try, but you can't fool me into looking up tropes for several hours by going on TVTropes :P

that's a thing?! i didn't realise before i made this thread but i had no ulterior motive... or did i? :nekothink: either way your lack of faith in me makes me cry ;__;
Anime-Planet.com - anime | manga | watch anime online