Recommendations?

Discuss anime and manga in here! From fully-fledged otaku, to new people to the genres, feel free to discuss!

Moderators: Expendable, Ojisama, Beex

melanch0lic
Veteran Member
Great Britain

Achievements

Recommendations?

Post by melanch0lic » 08 Apr 2021, 10:16

So I checked the forum before posting this and there's no topic regarding recommendations for different series! I have recently watched Clannad, Air and Angel Beats but now I'm lost without something deep to watch, so does anyone have any ideas of what series i should try next? i was thinking about Sword Art Online but the amount of episodes scares me D:

TL;DR: key studios is awesome, angel beats was probably key's best series imo but recommendations for a series to watch would be appreciated :3
Anime-Planet.com - anime | manga | watch anime online

Expendable
Veteran Member
United States of America

Recommendations?

Post by Expendable » 08 Apr 2021, 12:49

The shear number of episodes in some long running series I also find daunting, too. But they're manageable one season at a time.

There's a few series I can suggest that are along the lines of Angel Beats.

Haibane Renmei

A girl dreams of falling from the sky, awaking into this curious little walled town where none can venture forth. It's sad and it's sweet, but to be perfectly honest, you're likely to come away after this with more questions....

That Time I Got Reincarnated as a Slime

After a street attack, a man from Earth finds himself reborn as a slime in a fantasy world.

So I'm a Spider, so What?

A high school student in the middle of class suddenly finds herself reborn as a spider in a fantasy world. What she doesn't know is that other members of her class are also in this world with her. Somewhat similar to "That Time I Got Reincarnated as a Slime" but this is a world that has an unfolding crisis on its hands that only few are aware of.

Ouran High School Host Club

A scholarship student admitted to a high school for wealthy families is looking for a quiet place to study, only to discover the Host Club. Despite being a romcom, this has some unexpected depths to it.

Momogari
Veteran Member
United States of America

Achievements

Recommendations?

Post by Momogari » 09 Apr 2021, 00:36

I love long series. I don't like a series running out of episodes before I'm ready to be done with it.

Granted my patience for series that aren't spectacular isn't what it used to be either. I tried rewatching D.Gray Man, which I enjoyed when I was younger, and I was over it after just one episode.

I'm terrible at recommendations without some criteria but great at recommendations if I have some criteria to think about.

Something deep, though. Haibane Renmei would be great for you. 13 episodes and very deep. I'd say pretentiously deep but it's also really well done, so it's just really good. I wouldn't recommend Tensura or Ouran if I'm thinking deep though. Ouran is great though, I highly recommend it, and it's not all light either.

Hmm. Banner of the Stars maybe.
Shin Sekai Yori is an excellent scifi horror.
Made in Abyss...the manga is very obviously written by a pedophile but the anime tones that down and it's honestly great, source notwithstanding.
BECK is good.
Arslan Senki
12 Kingdoms
Now and Then, Here and There

Ok there's too many without narrowing it down further. Shit, just watch Haibane Renmei. That'll be deep enough for you that you'll be fine watching something light again after. I have no idea where it's streaming right now. Maybe I'll look. Both sub and dub are on funimation.

You know I haven't actually seen Angel Beats. Let me look at a trailer of that.

After watching that, R.O.D. is a good suggestion I think. It's a lot closer stylistically than Haibane Renmei.
sig art by hiranko sticker credits: Yaji sazi Manoue

Expendable
Veteran Member
United States of America

Recommendations?

Post by Expendable » 09 Apr 2021, 05:16

R.O.D. the movie or the series?

You really should see the movie first.

Another movie you may want to try is The Girl That Leapt Through Time - a girl gains the ability to leap through time - but it isn't always easy to fix things.

Have you seen Assassination Classroom? Two seasons long. When I think about the SSS or Afterlife Battalion in Angel Beats, this should feel right at home. Class E, the one that has all the underperforming slackers, has just been given a very important assignment - they are to kill their teacher, and what's more, Koro-sensei going to teach them how to become assassins so they'd do it right. Because if they don't, he's going to destroy the world.

And yes, Nagisa is a boy.

hype1980
Great Britain

Achievements

Recommendations?

Post by hype1980 » 09 Apr 2021, 11:16

Another vote here for The Girl Who Leaped Through Time, its very good. On a similar theme of time travel is Erased, which is excellent and not too long (13 episodes).

One of my absolute favourites is Psycho Pass, there are several seasons but each has its own storyline which is concluded within the season, so you dont have to commit to watching them all to enjoy it. With that said I think season 1 is about 24 episodes.

Tanya
Bookworm Member
Bookworm Member
Japan

Recommendations?

Post by Tanya » 09 Apr 2021, 11:22

Any of the Blood + series

There are actually quite a few

But a short one that I liked is Saga of Tanya the Evil

Then there’s Another but it’s a Horror

So that’s a few being thrown out there
本好きの下剋上

Nuggies
Black Member
Black Member
Great Britain

Achievements

Recommendations?

Post by Nuggies » 09 Apr 2021, 23:57

Rising of the Shield Hero

Cautious Hero

Keilonrich22
Standard Member
Great Britain

Achievements

Recommendations?

Post by Keilonrich22 » 21 Apr 2021, 12:34

Mashiro no oto I always like to hear older school instruments and this anime got my attention a young shamisen players grandfather passed away and he left home to find his grandfather sound again only to start to develop his own
Keilonrich22
Master Otaku  Image

melanch0lic
Veteran Member
Great Britain

Achievements

Recommendations?

Post by melanch0lic » 21 Apr 2021, 15:50

if anyone has seen Toradora!, could you possibly recommend something similar (slice-of-life based, maybe)? i'm finding it difficult to start a new series unless i know that they're worth the time that i need to invest... c:
Anime-Planet.com - anime | manga | watch anime online

Tanya
Bookworm Member
Bookworm Member
Japan

Recommendations?

Post by Tanya » 21 Apr 2021, 17:03

melanch0lic wrote:
21 Apr 2021, 15:50
if anyone has seen Toradora!, could you possibly recommend something similar (slice-of-life based, maybe)? i'm finding it difficult to start a new series unless i know that they're worth the time that i need to invest... c:
Are you looking for it to have a romance aspect to it? If so does it need to be girl and boy?

Koikimo might be to your liking
本好きの下剋上

Momogari
Veteran Member
United States of America

Achievements

Recommendations?

Post by Momogari » 22 Apr 2021, 03:22

Oh, Koikimo is new. I'll have to find a queue to add that to.

Best slice of life I've ever seen in March comes in like a lion. rakugo shinju isn't too far behind. But neither of those are school life. And rakugo shinjuu isn't romance.
Chiyahafuru is really good and that's school slice of life. Not strong romance but it's there.
Closer to toradora I guess is Tonari no Kaibutsu-kun or that one whose English title has snafu in the name. Tonari no kaibutsu kun might be spot on if you really want something similar to toradora.
I really liked Tsuki ga Kirei. I think I remember that being very similar too.
True Tears is a good one.
It's been too long for me to vouch too strongly for it, but if you want something older then Kimagure Orange Road is slice of life school romance and I really liked it many years ago.
Oh shit, bunny girl senpai. That's a really good one and is all three.
Domestic kanojo is less school but good.
His and her circumstances is a mostly great 90s slice of life romance.
Oh, love chunibyo and other delusions. Pretty close.
Speaking of Kyoani, Tamako Market.
Oh the one with the big dude uhhhh fuck. Ore Monogatari. That's a good one and all three.
Yagate Kimi ni Naru is super fucking good and all three. It's yuri.

Vivix
Veteran Member
Puerto Rico

Achievements

Recommendations?

Post by Vivix » 22 Apr 2021, 05:39

As far as deep and quality series I have recently come across, my top picks are Anohana, 3D Kanojo, and Higehiro. Higehiro started this month and only 4 eps out but it touches up on rather dark themes while keeping an air of wholesomeness in certain areas.

My recent watches overall which I have all loved and enjoyed in one way or another have been Bungo Stray Dogs, Demon Slayer, Noragami, Haikyuu, JJK, Dr. Stone, and Black Clover.
Last edited by Vivix on 22 Apr 2021, 17:14, edited 2 times in total.

Vivix
Veteran Member
Puerto Rico

Achievements

Recommendations?

Post by Vivix » 22 Apr 2021, 05:40

melanch0lic wrote:
21 Apr 2021, 15:50

Highly recommend Koikimo, 3D Kanojo, and Horimiya.

Expendable
Veteran Member
United States of America

Recommendations?

Post by Expendable » 22 Apr 2021, 15:47

Toradora-like?

His and Hers Circumstances and Chunibyo and Other Delusions suggested by Momogari I second. There's also Ouran High School Host Club and Haibane Renmei, which is in the second post.

There's one I've just started watching - DON'T TOY WITH ME, MISS NAGATORO.
1st year HS girl discovers this shy 2nd year HS boy draws manga and becomes interested in him, but recognizes he's pulling a Mary Sue in his stories, inserting himself in there and she is teasing and tormenting him a bit. But like I said, there's interest there, too.

Nisekoi

Boy meets a very bossy girl whose family has just moved back from America. And to complicate things, both of their families are yakuza, and their fathers have decided to merge their clans - through marriage. Their marriage. However, the boy made a promise, a long long time ago....

I've only managed to watch a few episodes of this, but it's definitely unique.

Your Lie in April

This is a sad one. An aspiring violin player wants to do a duet with this boy who'd dropped out of piano competition after the death of his mother. But he's not the only one who has problems....

Azumanga Diaoh, Nichijou, Clannad, and Fruits Basket would also be slice of life.

Momogari
Veteran Member
United States of America

Achievements

Recommendations?

Post by Momogari » 22 Apr 2021, 21:34

Oh yeah, I need to watch more Nisekoi too.

I'll second Ouran too. I'm not sure it's quite slice of normal life but it is really good.