Has anyone else noticed that manga and anime are going out of print fast?

Discuss anime and manga in here! From fully-fledged otaku, to new people to the genres, feel free to discuss!

Moderators: Expendable, Ojisama, Beex

Jongriffin
Standard Member
United States of America

Achievements

Post by Jongriffin » 07 Apr 2021, 06:56

I'm serious, it seems like anime and manga are going out of print so fast nowadays. I had to look day after day until I finally found Knights of Sidonia season 1 for sale at an affordable cost on Ebay. It took me a while. I couldn't find a copy of the manga Assassination Classroom Vol 14 on Amazon, Powells, or any online bookstores. I finally found a used copy on Ebay after checking day after day. I'm seeing VizBigs of Vagabond being sold for a hefty price. As for the blu rays of Assassination Classroom, they are expensive now, with people bidding on them. Heck, it even seems like the One Piece Omnibuses are going out of print as most being sold are used.

I actually wrote to Viz, and they were polite enough to write back. They said that the COVID pandemic has thrown print manga out of whack and that many of their manga, both newer and older titles, is on back log. But they hope to get back on track. I was so thankful for such a prompt and polite note from Viz. 

Has anyone else noticed that because of the pandemic, anime and manga are getting a little harder to procure? 

Melancholy Angel
Great Britain

Achievements

Post by Melancholy Angel » 07 Apr 2021, 08:32

I've been considering picking up the Wish omnibus edition because it's a CLAMP series I don't own and it's in stock but I don't know if that is likely to change if I wait too long. It could be different for different genres though.

The only thing I've been looking for and not found is Volume 9 of the Fate/Zero manga and that is because Dark Horse hasn't published it yet.

Nuggies
Black Member
Black Member
Great Britain

Achievements

Post by Nuggies » 07 Apr 2021, 10:42

I mean, I found Knights of Sidonia within about 10 seconds of Googling it... ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Momogari
Veteran Member
United States of America

Achievements

Post by Momogari » 07 Apr 2021, 11:46

I'm sure all physical goods took a hit. Price of lumber tripled in the US and canada.
sig art by hiranko sticker credits: Yaji sazi Manoue

hype1980
Great Britain

Achievements

Post by hype1980 » 08 Apr 2021, 17:33

Yeah I am trying to complete my GTO collection, Amazon Marketplace is asking for £100 per book on the last couple! Keeping an eye on ebay in case anything comes up. Never thought of it being linked to the pandemic until now, but come to think of it i have read so much more manga in the last year. Price of stuff like NFL trading cards have gone through the roof in the last year too, perhaps people are getting into collecting things with nothing much else to do?

Nuggies
Black Member
Black Member
Great Britain

Achievements

Post by Nuggies » 10 Apr 2021, 00:01

hype1980 wrote:
08 Apr 2021, 17:33
Yeah I am trying to complete my GTO collection, Amazon Marketplace is asking for £100 per book on the last couple! Keeping an eye on ebay in case anything comes up. Never thought of it being linked to the pandemic until now, but come to think of it i have read so much more manga in the last year. Price of stuff like NFL trading cards have gone through the roof in the last year too, perhaps people are getting into collecting things with nothing much else to do?

What volumes you looking for?

Blackwells and Otaku generally tend to be reasonably price. Think Otaku is doing 5he complete collection for about £55.

hype1980
Great Britain

Achievements

Post by hype1980 » 10 Apr 2021, 14:51

Nuggies wrote:
10 Apr 2021, 00:01
hype1980 wrote:
08 Apr 2021, 17:33

What volumes you looking for?

Blackwells and Otaku generally tend to be reasonably price. Think Otaku is doing 5he complete collection for about £55.

I am after volumes 22-25 (i.e. the last 4 books) of the original series, thanks for the heads up on Blackwells, didnt realise they also did second hand books. They have number 23 but the seller wants £245 for it think i'll pass :haha: