Reading manga is too exhausting

Discuss anime and manga in here! From fully-fledged otaku, to new people to the genres, feel free to discuss!

Moderators: Expendable, Ojisama, Beex

Mickelrath
Great Britain

Achievements

Post by Mickelrath » 25 Jan 2021, 11:26

I'm enjoying reading My Hero Academia at the moment. I got into reading Manga via Junji Ito though. Tomie and Uzumaki are great books

LikkleMel
TimeLord Member
TimeLord Member
Great Britain

Post by LikkleMel » 25 Jan 2021, 17:50

tbh the manga I'm currently keeping up to date on is Black Butler. I still need to finish Say I love you. Need to get back into manga again, but not being able to see them in shops and choosing one that way has been hard
~Let our bodies lay, mark our hearts with shame
Let our blood in vain, you find God in pain~

GraceMellody
Veteran Member
Great Britain

Post by GraceMellody » 25 Jan 2021, 18:26

I think ive read like two volumes of manga in my life XD I just never really got into it as much as reading books or watching anime
~UK Artist, Idol & Mother~
@MelodiqueArt

Vypernk
Standard Member
Brazil

Achievements

Post by Vypernk » 25 Jan 2021, 22:38

Depends on the manga ?
What ?

There are many cool stories that may never become an animation. So... Well...

Nuggies
Black Member
Black Member
Great Britain

Achievements

Post by Nuggies » 26 Jan 2021, 20:22

I have hopes for a Fairy Tail: 100 Year Quest animation but I'm attempting to read the manga, just in case.

Kinra54
Great Britain

Achievements

Post by Kinra54 » 13 Mar 2024, 23:57

Reading manga can seem confusing at first, especially if you're used to Western comic book styles. The reason speech bubbles don't always point directly at the character speaking is that manga follows a different visual convention. Here's an explanation:

1. Manga panels are read from right to left, top to bottom. This is the opposite of how Western comics are read, and it takes some adjustment.

2. Speech bubbles are placed close to the character speaking, but not necessarily pointing at them with a tail. The expectation is that the reader will follow the flow of panels and dialogue to discern who is speaking.

3. This convention allows for more dynamic panel layouts and compositions that wouldn't work as well if speech bubbles had to point at every speaker.

4. There are sometimes visual cues like mouth shapes or facing directions that indicate who is talking in a given panel.

While it can be frustrating initially, once you get accustomed to the right-to-left reading order and start recognizing the narrative flow, speech bubbles in manga start to make more sense. It's a style choice that prioritizes visual storytelling in a different way than Western comics. With practice, it becomes more natural to follow. The manga format is just utilizing a different set of visual conventions that take some getting used to. Giving it more time may help it "click" for your reading preferences.
Last edited by Ojisama on 14 Mar 2024, 11:30, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: User banned