A hard question

Discuss anime and manga in here! From fully-fledged otaku, to new people to the genres, feel free to discuss!

Moderators: Expendable, Ojisama, Beex

C4per
Veteran Member

Achievements

A hard question

Post by C4per » 25 Oct 2020, 19:23

I haven't been in these forums for about 15 years, and I need a good new anime to watch to keep me entertained.

I'm looking for a mature, high brow one with deep themes - but also enough fantasy to keep my imagination stimulated.

Traditionally more adult ones with gore/nudity accomplish this in my experience, though I'm not actually looking for those particular things(I don't mind if they are present).

Any good advice??

Animes I've liked in the past (and they're obviously super mainstream):

Street fighter/tekken movies
Guyver
Ninja Scroll
Cowboy Bebop
DBZ
First pokemon series
Outlaw Star
Gundam Wing
Tenchi 
(lol what can I say I grew up on toonami)

If you see a general theme here and can point me in the right direction - I would appreciate it - thanks! Maturity of the anime is very important.
Last edited by C4per on 25 Oct 2020, 20:07, edited 1 time in total.

Momogari
Veteran Member
United States of America

Achievements

A hard question

Post by Momogari » 25 Oct 2020, 20:02

Berserk. The first one from the 90s.
sig art by hiranko sticker credits: Yaji sazi Manoue

Teeny
Light Blue Member
Light Blue Member
Great Britain

A hard question

Post by Teeny » 25 Oct 2020, 20:14

Momogari wrote:
25 Oct 2020, 20:02
Berserk. The first one from the 90s.

I second this.
・・・・・・・・・・・・・・・・・・
Click above to join me in Joestar Clan

Momogari
Veteran Member
United States of America

Achievements

A hard question

Post by Momogari » 25 Oct 2020, 20:24

Also Arslan Senki, Knights of Sidonia, 12 Kingdoms, Kabaneri of the Iron Fortress.
Claymore maybe?
sig art by hiranko sticker credits: Yaji sazi Manoue

Expendable
Veteran Member
United States of America

A hard question

Post by Expendable » 25 Oct 2020, 21:39

Claymore, yes. Women warriers determined to face and defeat the demon Yoma. However, to prepare themselves, they've consumed some of the Yoma's flesh, which noticibly turns their eyes silver. But if they use too much of the stolen Yoma's power, it can change them...

Arpeggio of Blue Steel - An alien force made up of what looks to be WW2 warships has appeared and have defeated any modern military force sent against them using weapons that are unlike anything we've ever encountered. But there's one submarine that's fighting them.

Sword Art Online - Using a special helmet, gamers are able to play in a virtual fantasy reality. However, the designer of the game has sprung a trap that's captured all the players in this virtual world. If they're disconnected or die in the game, the helmet they're wearing will kill them. To free themselves, they must defeat him, which means fighting to the top level of the game.

That Time I Got Reincarnated as a Slime - After bleeding to death in a Tokyo street, a middle-aged business exec find himself reincarnated as a slime in a fantasy world. But thanks to this weird voice in his head, he's no ordinary slime.

Tanya
Bookworm Member
Bookworm Member
Japan

A hard question

Post by Tanya » 25 Oct 2020, 22:01

I can think of a few, but the above are good starters.

I can think of many more that wouldn’t fit what you like. I’ll name a couple that’ll probably interest you.

Akame ga kill
Blood (all of them)
Heavy Object
本好きの下剋上

Baul
White Member
White Member
Great Britain

Achievements

A hard question

Post by Baul » 25 Oct 2020, 22:37

Hellsing. Original, then Ultimate.
Mark my words
They will be gone
You'll see them playing games, my dear
They've moved along
Cause one day in the afterlife
We'll meet again
Prophecies - Blind Guardian

Nuggies
Black Member
Black Member
Great Britain

Achievements

A hard question

Post by Nuggies » 25 Oct 2020, 23:03

I'd say Tokyo Ghoul, bit of a more mature, dark fantasy.

Just skip Tokyo Ghoul:RE. That final season just wasn't worth it :lol:

Also... Deathnote, Blame, Akame Ga Kill, Sword Art Online. I'd say they're less comedic that typical anime fantasy, more mature with a 'deeper' plot.

lolin
Veteran Member
United States of America

A hard question

Post by lolin » 26 Oct 2020, 00:48

gantz if you're going to read the manga

Expendable
Veteran Member
United States of America

A hard question

Post by Expendable » 26 Oct 2020, 04:17

The Promised Neverland - three children make the chilling discovery that the place they're living at is not an orphanage - it's a farm, and they're on the menu.

Dr. Stone - 3,700 years after a mysterious event that covered people in stone, a teen scientific genius reawakens and has worked out how to free the others. However, not everyone is happy with his intention of rebuilding civilization.

Carole and Tuesday - Two girls on a terraformed Mars from very different backgrounds meet and discover a connection through music that they write themselves, rather than by computers. By the same people that brought us Cowboy Bebop, but set much later. Less violence, but some great music.

One-Punch Man - Saitama has dedicated his life to become a superhero - in fact, he's become so strong, he can defeat any foe with one punch (but there was a cost). For him, super-strength has become boring... Very gory, lots of fighting, but this is more comedic.

Keilonrich22
Standard Member
Great Britain

Achievements

A hard question

Post by Keilonrich22 » 27 Oct 2020, 16:07

jujutsu kaisen
gologo 13
these two sound like what your looking for
Keilonrich22
Master Otaku  Image

beauty5588
Great Britain

Achievements

A hard question

Post by beauty5588 » 23 Aug 2021, 18:12

Hello friends! Don't think of it as spam, I recently found something interesting novel-sempai.com

Beex
Lucky Cat Member
Lucky Cat Member
United States of America

A hard question

Post by Beex » 25 Aug 2021, 21:23

"You mess with the cat, you get the litter!"

╱|、b
(˚ˎ 。7 e
|、˜〵 e
じしˍ,)ノx

"Beep boop meow!" - Robo-Fortune, Skullgirls