Children of the Whales, the manga and the anime, is criminally underrated

Discuss anime and manga in here! From fully-fledged otaku, to new people to the genres, feel free to discuss!

Moderators: Expendable, Ojisama, Beex

Jongriffin
Standard Member
United States of America

Achievements

Children of the Whales, the manga and the anime, is criminally underrated

Post by Jongriffin » 05 Mar 2020, 02:44

Who's read or watched Children of the Whales? It's an incredibly beautiful manga and anime, with great characters, lots of emotion, and, being a fantasy, phenomenal world building. The artwork is wonderful, full of so much detail.

The story opens with the Mud Whale, a giant vessel that sails over an ocean of sand. The Mud Whale has vegetation on it, towers, and little homes. There are two kinds of people on the Mud Whale has two types of people on it, those who have powers and those who don't. Those who don't have powers live long lives. Those who do live short lives. I don't want to give too much away, but it's such great storytelling.

I have to ask, with the intriguing storytelling, the beautiful artwork and its attention to detail, the detailed world building, the human emotion that seeps through the pages from the characters, why is this anime and manga so underrated?

Momogari
Veteran Member
United States of America

Achievements

Re: Children of the Whales, the manga and the anime, is criminally underrated

Post by Momogari » 05 Mar 2020, 05:17

I've noticed classy anime isn't popular in general. Probably something to do with mean/median preferences in entertainment.

Consider first that on average, people will refuse to touch a book they're not required to.

I wonder what those people would think when they hear a phrase like "world-building" for the first time.
sig art by hiranko sticker credits: Yaji sazi Manoue

Tanya
Bookworm Member
Bookworm Member
Japan

Post by Tanya » 05 Mar 2020, 11:55

I haven’t watched it, sounds interesting. I noticed it aired on Netflix too. Which I wouldn’t think is a streaming site most anime fans use. For one it’s expensive comparatively to other sites. 2nd it has a bunch of non anime shows, shows I’m not interested in most of the time.

So that’s why I never watched it or even knew about it. Netflix says lack of content is why they aren’t gaining or retaining customers but for me it’s too much of the wrong content that I have to pay for. I’d prefer a part of their library access at a reduced price as their other content is just unnecessary clutter I have to pay for, no one wants to pay for something they don’t want and never use.

As for Manga, I don’t care for any.

It sounds similar to Heroic Age.
本好きの下剋上

Momogari
Veteran Member
United States of America

Achievements

Post by Momogari » 05 Mar 2020, 12:12

Lord Myne wrote: It sounds similar to Heroic Age.
Mm. No.

I can't think of a single title the Children of the Whales is similar to.
Maybe the closest is Shin Sekai Yori, and that's another one that's wholly unique.
Maybe Fantastic Children comes close but same. And almost noone knows that one.
sig art by hiranko sticker credits: Yaji sazi Manoue

Tanya
Bookworm Member
Bookworm Member
Japan

Post by Tanya » 05 Mar 2020, 12:30

I haven’t watched either of those.
本好きの下剋上

Ekkun
Standard Member
Spain

Achievements

Post by Ekkun » 08 Mar 2020, 09:04

didn't read the manga, but I watched the anime, twice, fisrt on fansites subtitled, and later binge it at Netflix in English. It was nice, but not in my preferences.
I recognise that the plot has quite a lot of potential... but the animation does make feel that I wanted more like other anime did.
I think I rated it generously with 6 in my MAL.
貴族院の自称図書委員 :smoke:
The Royal Academy Library is under the the administration of royalty, ​and its books are subsequently the property of royalty.
Those who do not return their books before leaving the Academy will be deemed criminals, and their Aub will be informed of this in the name of the King.
From that point, we will activate the contract magic, for the vow of Mestionora the goddess of wisdom will have been broken.
:nod:

| 歩歩歩歩歩歩歩歩歩 | 
|  角     飛    |
| 香桂銀金王金銀桂香 |

My Army is ready! ... but, what about yours?

Spoiler:  
My Nintendo Switch Friend code: 5732-2848-3981