Do you think some art styles look better in anime or manga form?

Discuss anime and manga in here! From fully-fledged otaku, to new people to the genres, feel free to discuss!

Moderators: Expendable, Ojisama, Beex

Jongriffin
Standard Member
United States of America

Achievements

Post by Jongriffin » 18 Feb 2020, 18:17

Does anyone else find that some stories with their art look better as an anime whereas others look better as a manga, whereas some look great as both?

To elucidate on this matter, take Rurouni Kenshin. I feel like the original manga does the art so much more justice. The anime muted out the sweeping styles styles and grace of the swordmanship and the rhythm of the battles that I feel like the manga was able to capture with it's pen and ink drawings. On the other hand, I feel like the anime adaptation of Fruits Basket looked so much better with it's soft and gentle colors. On the other hand, I feel like Children of Whales looks great in both forms.

Does anyone else feel similar about art styles and the way they are portrayed?

unoduetre
Veteran Member
Poland

Achievements

Re: Do you think some art styles look better in anime or manga form?

Post by unoduetre » 18 Feb 2020, 19:25

[mention=121013]Jongriffin[/mention]

Yeah, I have similar experience. But I think there are many things that play part. E.g. sometimes it's important how exactly the manga got adapted, so I can dislike one anime adaptation and like another anime adaptation. But sometimes it appears that no anime adaptation can really be good enough.

One example that comes to mind is Junji Ito. I don't think there were any really good anime adaptations so far. But I know they're trying to find a formula which works for horror anime. I think that too much colour can be distracting in horror anime, and some scenes might become unintentionally comical instead of creepy.

The forthcoming attempt to adapt Uzumaki tries to overcome these issues and it looks promising. They tried to do it differently in this one and it really might work. But we'll see if it's really worth the hype, or yet another not so good adaptation of Junji Ito's manga.

[video=youtube;VDEQyK5ZH-E]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VDEQyK5ZH-E[/video]

unoduetre
Veteran Member
Poland

Achievements

Post by unoduetre » 18 Feb 2020, 19:32

At other times of course it's anime which is better. For example music plays a huge role and there are anime where music makes a lot of work in what makes an anime great in comparison to manga. Sometimes the plot in anime is also improved over the manga and many less than perfect plot elements get improved.

Ryuuko
Knight Member
Knight Member

Post by Ryuuko » 18 Feb 2020, 22:52

Anime is always better than Manga in all cases. But my opinion is completely bias as I don’t like any Manga.

Jongriffin
Standard Member
United States of America

Achievements

Post by Jongriffin » 13 May 2021, 01:02

I'm going to revive this topic. I hope no one minds. The mods can always lock it, though.

I feel like Orange Road looks better as an anime. The 1980s were a colorful and vibrant period, personality-wise, and I feel like black and white doesn't do it justice. But the bold, bright, and pastel colors of the anime fit with it so well.

On the other hand, I feel like Claymore works so much better as a black and white manga than it does a colorful anime. I don't know why, but it has to do with the style of the drawing. The pen strokes of the manga make it feel more timeless while at the same time, in a paradoxical sense, makes it feel more ancient, if that makes sense.

ichi
Veteran Member
Germany

Achievements

Post by ichi » 17 May 2021, 15:42

Berserk looks better in manga as of late. That shiesty lookin' 3D bs they have in those movies and the more recent adaption make me soft.
GAMMA FUNKULA