A&M Chat and Spam V2

Discuss anime and manga in here! From fully-fledged otaku, to new people to the genres, feel free to discuss!

Moderators: Expendable, Ojisama, Beex

LilMissLarBear
Violet Member
Violet Member
Great Britain

A&M Chat and Spam V2

Post by LilMissLarBear » 07 Jan 2023, 22:29

Ok, I think this is the most appropriate thread for this but for anyone who has seen King's Raid even for one episode (specifically the dub version) I need your take on this because a student at work was looking at me as if to say "what is wrong with you woman" for saying this....

Right, is it just me or does the dub for King's Raid not sound too great?? I can't quite put my finger on it Im not sure if its certain characters voices or what but something doesnt sit right with me. Ive not got too much to go on, but what ive seen I actually think its alright but I cant quite decide if its the voices, the scripting or both that I feel is a bit lacking. Ive already left myself ample opportunity to make fun of some of the scripting because I felt like what was said was a bit dumb, too obvious or confusing

Lauren
VG mod
DM me if you have any questions!

Ojisama
Veteran Member
Great Britain

A&M Chat and Spam V2

Post by Ojisama » 07 Jan 2023, 22:44

LilMissLarBear wrote:
07 Jan 2023, 22:29
Ok, I think this is the most appropriate thread for this but for anyone who has seen King's Raid even for one episode (specifically the dub version) I need your take on this because a student at work was looking at me as if to say "what is wrong with you woman" for saying this....

Right, is it just me or does the dub for King's Raid not sound too great?? I can't quite put my finger on it Im not sure if its certain characters voices or what but something doesnt sit right with me. Ive not got too much to go on, but what ive seen I actually think its alright but I cant quite decide if its the voices, the scripting or both that I feel is a bit lacking. Ive already left myself ample opportunity to make fun of some of the scripting because I felt like what was said was a bit dumb, too obvious or confusing

Streamed on Funimation originally?

I find that dubs often feel "off." I tend to watch subs rather than dubs, so I can enjoy the original Japanese exclamations and emotions without filters.

A lot of the early dubs had horrific timing problems, although that should have been sorted by the time this was aired. I'll have a watch and let you know what I feel.

Updated.

Oh yes! I've heard these voices before and I didn't like them then either. I'm only 6 minutes into the first episode, and I don't want to go any further. I don't know whether it's the script, or their vocal coach, but I find them totally lacking in emotion, and emphasis in all the wrong places. Definitely off to my ears.
To those just starting on the journey of life I say...
Bang your own drum. Walk your own path. Live wildly. Love fiercely. 
As you near the end, look back with no regrets.

LilMissLarBear
Violet Member
Violet Member
Great Britain

A&M Chat and Spam V2

Post by LilMissLarBear » 07 Jan 2023, 23:01

Well... to be fair as much as the originals are pretty much always gonna be better than the dubbed version, I will say I have come across just better sounding dubs. Im not sure... a part of me thinks there is a lack of emotion in some places and for some characters I feel like everything just sounds the same but idk if its just me. The student who mentioned it to me did say shes enjoying the dub

Im not sure if its strictly on funimation but ive been watching it on there, yeah

Lauren
VG mod

Ojisama
Veteran Member
Great Britain

A&M Chat and Spam V2

Post by Ojisama » 07 Jan 2023, 23:10

I don't regard myself as a "Subtitles" snob, but Funimation had a bad reputation for dubs back in the 2000's and it looks like it hasn't changed. I mean no disrespect to the American VAs, but when your emphasis is on getting it done as fast as possible for as cheap as possible, something gets lost along the way. I don't know if it is the translation being off, or the whole thing being "dumbed down", but sometimes the spirit of the script seems missing.

Ojisama
Veteran Member
Great Britain

A&M Chat and Spam V2

Post by Ojisama » 07 Jan 2023, 23:14

Perhaps we need an American point of view.

@Expendable. Do you have anything to add?

Expendable
Veteran Member
United States of America

A&M Chat and Spam V2

Post by Expendable » 09 Jan 2023, 03:47

Sure thing! Have you ever seen the movie "Lost in Translation?"

Bill Murray is filming a commercial. The director says a lot of words to him, and the translator sums it up in just a few words. And he looks at her, and says, "Is that all he said?"

If we truly want the full meaning of an anime episode, we gotta learn Japanese - not just the language, but the proverbs, the sayings, the expressions, the customs, the history, basically the whole enchilada.

And it's a lot to learn. Subs are closer to direct translations, but there are going to be concepts we don't know. It's especially bad for dubs, so they try to adjust the script so it's closer to something we will understand, but something is going to be lost, and it's going to be reflected by the voice actors because they're using a different script.

Really, it's true no matter where you go. I had a lot to learn when I was living in Yorkshire, even though we supposedly were speaking the same language. Like tea. I didn't really understand the British concept of tea when I first got there. It's only after living there a while that I grasped it wasn't just drinking a hot beverage in the afternoon.

There's an anime I like called Iriya no Sora, UFO no Natsu - Iriya's Skies, Summer of UFOs. And there's this one bit in the last episode where we see Iriya wearing a flight suit - and there's all these prayers and well-wishes all over her jacket.

The main character Asaba immediately grasps what's going on when he sees it. Me? It took a while.

And I wonder if Asaba ever learns where the military constructed a child's playground out in the middle of nowhere?

LilMissLarBear
Violet Member
Violet Member
Great Britain

A&M Chat and Spam V2

Post by LilMissLarBear » 11 Jan 2023, 21:28

Lauren
VG mod

Expendable
Veteran Member
United States of America

A&M Chat and Spam V2

Post by Expendable » 12 Jan 2023, 02:43

LilMissLarBear wrote:
11 Jan 2023, 21:28

oooh, I've been enjoying the AMV for the last few days. Thanks for sharing!

LilMissLarBear
Violet Member
Violet Member
Great Britain

A&M Chat and Spam V2

Post by LilMissLarBear » 12 Jan 2023, 05:32

Yeah I've been looking through some AMVs last night and stumbled across some pretty good ones :D

Lauren
VG mod

GraceMellody
Veteran Member
Great Britain

A&M Chat and Spam V2

Post by GraceMellody » 20 Feb 2023, 14:22

Is there anywhere to watch Himouto Umaru Chan anymore?
~UK Artist, Idol & Mother~
@MelodiqueArt

Ojisama
Veteran Member
Great Britain

A&M Chat and Spam V2

Post by Ojisama » 20 Feb 2023, 14:36

GraceMellody wrote:
20 Feb 2023, 14:22
Himouto Umaru Chan

Season 2 ( Himouto Umaru Chan R) is on Hidive.

Season 1 might be available on the official site, but it's in Japanese so I can't decipher if it is, even with Google translate.

GraceMellody
Veteran Member
Great Britain

A&M Chat and Spam V2

Post by GraceMellody » 20 Feb 2023, 14:44

Ojisama wrote:
20 Feb 2023, 14:36
GraceMellody wrote:
20 Feb 2023, 14:22
Himouto Umaru Chan

Season 2 ( Himouto Umaru Chan R) is on Hidive.

Season 1 might be available on the official site, but it's in Japanese so I can't decipher if it is, even with Google translate.
Buggar. It's a shame they took it off Crunchy, I was only a few episodes in but I did really like it!
I'll just have to focus on the rest for now XD
@MelodiqueArt

GraceMellody
Veteran Member
Great Britain

A&M Chat and Spam V2

Post by GraceMellody » 20 Feb 2023, 14:45

Note to self: Don't pause an anime for 3 years XD
@MelodiqueArt

Ojisama
Veteran Member
Great Britain

A&M Chat and Spam V2

Post by Ojisama » 20 Feb 2023, 15:50

GraceMellody wrote:
20 Feb 2023, 14:44
Himouto Umaru Chan

Apparently, it may be on USA Amazon Prime Video. Do you use a VPN?

GraceMellody
Veteran Member
Great Britain

A&M Chat and Spam V2

Post by GraceMellody » 20 Feb 2023, 17:30

Ojisama wrote:
20 Feb 2023, 15:50
GraceMellody wrote:
20 Feb 2023, 14:44
Himouto Umaru Chan

Apparently, it may be on USA Amazon Prime Video. Do you use a VPN? 
Not currently but i'll check it out at some point!
@MelodiqueArt