Last episode you watched (or chapter you read) v4 (LOCKED)

Discuss anime and manga in here! From fully-fledged otaku, to new people to the genres, feel free to discuss!

Moderators: Expendable, Ojisama, Beex

SpideyWrex
Standard Member

Re: Last episode you watched (or chapter you read) v4

Post by SpideyWrex » 17 Apr 2020, 13:18

Gankutsuou episode 13-14
Your Lie in April episode 12-14

Admittedly, Gankutsuou isn't nearly the epic masterpiece I set out to watch. I felt that as a revenge story, its pacing could have picked up a lot more to make it more dramatic and larger than life. Therefore, I feel it would've been better off as a big-budget Hollywood movie. As it happens, there was a Hollywood adaptation of the novel back in 2002. Though I haven't watched it, it's received mixed reviews, as do most movie adaptations of works that are considered masterpieces.

Your Lie, on the other hand, is doing a lot better with my expectations. It's turned out to be a lot more depressing than I initially expected with its first 11 episodes. I initially thought it might be one of those sappy anime that try to show how joyful life still is in spite of all the tragedies, but it's harder to believe that is the case with every episode. Looking forward towards the ending.

Edit: And episode 15 of Gankutsuou blew me away. Phew. Everything built up to this moment, so I guess the pacing was necessary. The inevitability of revenge, the bitterness of choosing vengeance over everything else. Very poetic stuff.

Momogari
Veteran Member
United States of America

Achievements

Post by Momogari » 17 Apr 2020, 23:46

SpideyWrex wrote:Gankutsuou episode 13-14
Your Lie in April episode 12-14

Admittedly, Gankutsuou isn't nearly the epic masterpiece I set out to watch. I felt that as a revenge story, its pacing could have picked up a lot more to make it more dramatic and larger than life. Therefore, I feel it would've been better off as a big-budget Hollywood movie. As it happens, there was a Hollywood adaptation of the novel back in 2002. Though I haven't watched it, it's received mixed reviews, as do most movie adaptations of works that are considered masterpieces.

Your Lie, on the other hand, is doing a lot better with my expectations. It's turned out to be a lot more depressing than I initially expected with its first 11 episodes. I initially thought it might be one of those sappy anime that try to show how joyful life still is in spite of all the tragedies, but it's harder to believe that is the case with every episode. Looking forward towards the ending.

Edit: And episode 15 of Gankutsuou blew me away. Phew. Everything built up to this moment, so I guess the pacing was necessary. The inevitability of revenge, the bitterness of choosing vengeance over everything else. Very poetic stuff.

Yeah Shigatsu is known for being heavy.
One reason I haven't seen it yet.
sig art by hiranko sticker credits: Yaji sazi Manoue

Tanya
Bookworm Member
Bookworm Member
Japan

Post by Tanya » 18 Apr 2020, 00:35

Just finished Brave Witches episode 3.
本好きの下剋上

Tanya
Bookworm Member
Bookworm Member
Japan

Post by Tanya » 18 Apr 2020, 01:25

Just finished watching episode 5 of Brave Witches
本好きの下剋上

SpideyWrex
Standard Member

Post by SpideyWrex » 18 Apr 2020, 11:21

Gankutsuou episode 15-17
Your Lie in April episode 15-17

Gankutsuou's getting better, as I mentioned last post. I'm liking how epic and dramatic the story's becoming, fitting for a revenge story.

Your Lie's not bad, but I'm getting annoyed by some of the side characters, particularly Nagi. It's just one of those tropey things you'd find in anime, the bratty little sister having a crush on her brother. Points off from YLIA. You know this gripe is definitely gonna appear in my final review, especially with how much I hate cliches.

SpideyWrex
Standard Member

Post by SpideyWrex » 19 Apr 2020, 14:03

Gankutsuou episode 18-19
Your Lie in April episode 18-19

Gankutsuou developed in a way that I really don't like. I get that it's a dark story, but I find it unnecessary.

Your Lie, on the other hand, kept focusing on its boring shounen-esque side characters like Aiza. I get what it's trying to say with its side characters' development, but I find that it distracts from the plot.

ifaz_abrar

Post by ifaz_abrar » 19 Apr 2020, 14:16

Expendable wrote:A new thread for sharing what you're reading for manga or watching for anime.

danmachi: is it wrong tio try to pick up girls in a dungeon

Ekkun
Standard Member
Spain

Achievements

Post by Ekkun » 19 Apr 2020, 23:33

Watched 7 Seeds S-02 binge eps 1-12
and after; The Secret World of Arrietty ( Ghibli's adaptation). nice.
I remember more or less the 1980' american Cartoons. but really condensed, and a lot less characters.
... I might try to read the original book in which is based (Inspired?)
(^__^)
貴族院の自称図書委員 :smoke:
The Royal Academy Library is under the the administration of royalty, ​and its books are subsequently the property of royalty.
Those who do not return their books before leaving the Academy will be deemed criminals, and their Aub will be informed of this in the name of the King.
From that point, we will activate the contract magic, for the vow of Mestionora the goddess of wisdom will have been broken.
:nod:

| 歩歩歩歩歩歩歩歩歩 | 
|  角     飛    |
| 香桂銀金王金銀桂香 |

My Army is ready! ... but, what about yours?

Spoiler:  
My Nintendo Switch Friend code: 5732-2848-3981

Momogari
Veteran Member
United States of America

Achievements

Post by Momogari » 19 Apr 2020, 23:48

Ekkun wrote:Watched 7 Seeds S-02 binge eps 1-12

Hoh.
I did not know of this.
Where did you watch it? I will put it on my list.
Ah, Netflix? Hm, Netflix does seem to accrue some otherwise unknown ones.
I guess it's almost time to subscribe to netflix again.
sig art by hiranko sticker credits: Yaji sazi Manoue

SpideyWrex
Standard Member

Post by SpideyWrex » 20 Apr 2020, 10:56

Gankutsuou episode 20-22
Your Lie in April episode 20-21

Ekkun
Standard Member
Spain

Achievements

Post by Ekkun » 20 Apr 2020, 12:32

Read, part 2 book 3* , Chapter 1. of Honzuki no Gekokujou, "Printing Guild" [* Note: 6th book in the series].

AWESOME AS ALWAYS! !!!!!
The Royal Academy Library is under the the administration of royalty, ​and its books are subsequently the property of royalty.
Those who do not return their books before leaving the Academy will be deemed criminals, and their Aub will be informed of this in the name of the King.
From that point, we will activate the contract magic, for the vow of Mestionora the goddess of wisdom will have been broken.

| 歩歩歩歩歩歩歩歩歩 | 
|  角     飛    |
| 香桂銀金王金銀桂香 |

Spoiler:  

Tanya
Bookworm Member
Bookworm Member
Japan

Post by Tanya » 22 Apr 2020, 01:44

Ekkun wrote:Read, part 2 book 3* , Chapter 1. of Honzuki no Gekokujou, "Printing Guild" [* Note: 6th book in the series].

AWESOME AS ALWAYS! !!!!!

I didn't realize it was time for that to be out, I'll have to start reading it.

I just finished watching High School Fleet episode 1 through 12 again. I really like this anime, wish they would have made more, but I'm sure they probably never will.
本好きの下剋上

Stalolin
United States of America

Achievements

Post by Stalolin » 22 Apr 2020, 02:53

i read some of jojo's pt 3 and it was cliched, over the top, plothole-ish, and overall the characters were flat

but i still liked it

Ekkun
Standard Member
Spain

Achievements

Post by Ekkun » 23 Apr 2020, 22:14

Ended with book 6 ( vol 3 part 2) of Honzuki no Gekokujou ( Ascendance of a Bookworm): hooked whit how it end and develope... I think seriously to start my montly subcription to J-Novelclub to continue reading book 4, part 2. \\ ( ^ ___ ^ ) // BAZAII!
  Spoiler:  
It intruduce a intereesting, but quite previsible twist, and Sylverter, anew Blue Pirest, really intresting character. I'm already fall in love with him!

Lord Myne wrote:I didn't realise it was time for that to be out, I'll have to start reading it.
YEP! I get the email from Amazon where I bought it. and start reading straight ... Already I has finish yesterday night.
I just finished watching High School Fleet episode 1 through 12 again. I really like this anime, wish they would have made more, but I'm sure they probably never will.

I think is there also an OVA, or Movie ( not really sure now)
I watched it also, and was pretty nicer. a bit childish. but funniest, but also I like it.

| 歩歩歩歩歩歩歩歩歩 | 
|  角     飛    |
| 香桂銀金王金銀桂香 |

Spoiler:  

Ryuuko
Knight Member
Knight Member

Post by Ryuuko » 23 Apr 2020, 22:15

8th Son, 4th episode.

Disappointing, it made me want to drop this show. Episode 3 was pretty good on the other hand.

I’ll give it another episode though