Light novels chat and recommendations

Discuss anime and manga in here! From fully-fledged otaku, to new people to the genres, feel free to discuss!

Moderators: Expendable, Ojisama, Beex

Tanya
Bookworm Member
Bookworm Member
Japan

Light novels chat and recommendations

Post by Tanya » 02 Feb 2020, 18:22

I’ve read a few different novels by now and in general I enjoy them.

The story is differs from the anime or manga versions but is generally the same. Mainly it’s details and events that differ. The overall plot is usually the same but not always.

Please share light novels you’ve read and recommend or just talk about them. Please use spoiler tags when talking about their content though as not to ruin it for others.
本好きの下剋上

Tanya
Bookworm Member
Bookworm Member
Japan

Re: Light novels chat and recommendations

Post by Tanya » 02 Feb 2020, 18:29

I’ve read
That Time I was Reincarnated as a Slime
No Game No Life, beginning only
Goblin Slayer, beginning only
Log Horizon, beginning only
Ascendance of a Bookworm
Saga of Tanya the Evil
I’ve been killing slimes for 300 years and maxed out my level
Record of Lotus War: The Grey Witch
Didn’t I Say to Make My Abilities Average in My Next Life
Death March...

There are others, but I’ll have to complete this list later.
本好きの下剋上

unoduetre
Veteran Member
Poland

Achievements

Post by unoduetre » 02 Feb 2020, 18:32

I'm currently reading Classroom of the Elite (vol. 2). I enjoy it.

The first volume was very good. The second volume is not as good unfortunately and it sometimes gets a bit boring (especially when they chat together in a group), but I'll keep reading.

Both the first and the second volume contain events from the anime and the general plot elements are similar. I suppose the third volume will also contain the events from the anime. ome new stuff might appear in the 4th volumne, but I'm not 100% sure until I reach the end of vol. 3, but it sounds reasonable.

unoduetre
Veteran Member
Poland

Achievements

Post by unoduetre » 02 Feb 2020, 18:33

Besides CotE I also read Spice & Wolf.

unoduetre
Veteran Member
Poland

Achievements

Post by unoduetre » 02 Feb 2020, 18:38

Besides that I also will read/have read some Japanese novels, not necessarily light novels.

I really recommend Welcome to the N.H.K. I've read it.

IT
IS
TOTALLY
AWESOME

I also plan to read Japan Sinks by Sakyo Komatsu.
And also Penguin Highway by Tomihiko Morimi.

Tanya
Bookworm Member
Bookworm Member
Japan

Post by Tanya » 10 Feb 2020, 04:39

I finished reading two light novels this weekend. I’m reading a third now.

I Shall Survive Using Potions
First novel
The first is okay. I’m not sure I’ll buy the 2nd book yet.

The main character is extremely overpowered by a lot. So Magic doesn’t even exist anymore and the main character has powerful magic let alone weak magic. At this point I’m not sure there is much of a story in this series.

Her Majesty's Swarm
The 2nd was dark. It’s storytelling is okay. If you want to read a story about carnage you might like this story. But I know for sure I won’t continue reading this series.

The Alchemist who Survived Now Dreams of a Quiet City Life
The third so far has been a great read. I’m already thinking I’m buying all the books in this series.

Later I’ll edit this and include their names. These all the first book of different light novels.
本好きの下剋上

unoduetre
Veteran Member
Poland

Achievements

Post by unoduetre » 10 Feb 2020, 04:58

[mention=1132]Lord Myne[/mention]

I will wait for the titles.

Tanya
Bookworm Member
Bookworm Member
Japan

Post by Tanya » 10 Feb 2020, 23:22

[mention=107568]unoduetre[/mention] edited the titles into the above post.
本好きの下剋上

unoduetre
Veteran Member
Poland

Achievements

Post by unoduetre » 10 Feb 2020, 23:58

[mention=1132]Lord Myne[/mention]

Thanks!

Tanya
Bookworm Member
Bookworm Member
Japan

Post by Tanya » 12 Feb 2020, 01:38

I just finished reading The Alchemist who Survived Now Dreams of a Quiet City Life volume 1

This is a great story. While the main character is quite skilled in Alchemy, there are those more skilled. She does have an advantage in the location she's in, but no more so than others in their special locations.

You find out early on, she's just an Alchemist and has no fighting skills. Some of her abilities are above average but others certainly have a better set of abilities than she does. She does have one ability that is high, how high, I'm not sure.

The first volume is about the main character settling into a new home. This isn't much about fighting, there are a few and I mean a few. It's more about settling into a new place where you don't know anyone.

There's more story about mixing and making her potions and gathering her ingredients.

By the way, I now have the 2nd book and I plan on reading it next.

The third book comes out in April, yet another good read, I'll have to wait on.
本好きの下剋上

unoduetre
Veteran Member
Poland

Achievements

Post by unoduetre » 29 Feb 2020, 11:53

I've finished the second book from Classroom of the Elite. As mentioned previously, it wasn't as good as the first one, but it was ok. The beginning of it was unfortunately a bit boring and the dialogues were too long and they didn't move the plot in any way. But close to the end it got a bit better.

I've also started the third book and it seems it will be more interesting. The third book is the beginning of the island arc. I don't know if the island arc is fully contained in the third book or it continues into the fourth book. We'll see.

Tanya
Bookworm Member
Bookworm Member
Japan

Post by Tanya » 29 Feb 2020, 12:32

The anime didn’t interest me but the LN may.
本好きの下剋上

unoduetre
Veteran Member
Poland

Achievements

Post by unoduetre » 29 Feb 2020, 12:57

Yeah, you can try. If you don't like it, you can just stop reading it.

Ekkun
Standard Member
Spain

Achievements

Post by Ekkun » 08 Mar 2020, 08:51

I didn't read many light Novels, but many other Books from Japanese Author, Including "Hotaru no Haka (Grave of the fireflies)" also...
Ages ago... ( 2008-2009 ) I read the first Vol of "Chrome Shelled Regios" ... at those times I can't find any other volumes ... and forget about it.

PLOT: Regios are moving cities, sheltering humanity on the barren and polluted Earth that is populated by Filth Monsters. Tired of fighting monsters and for a reason not yet revealed, Layfon left his home city to arrive at Zuellni, a city which specializes in academics and was inhabited only by students. Full of the expectation of living a normal life, he was tested on the first day of his arrival. Caught up in a fight that was rapidly getting out of hand, Layfon settled the commotion without anyone's help. Spotted by the Student President for his martial prowess, Layfon was forced to enter the 17th platoon.

I'll try to find it more vols of this series.

I also wanna read; A Certain Magical Index; Death March kara Hajimaru Isekai Kyousoukyoku, ToraDora, Dungeon ni Deai wo Motomeru no wa Machigatteiru Darou ka. This one just binge recently the 1st Anime season. Arifureta Shokugyou de Sekai Saikyou,...

the others 3 I'm reading , Ascendance of a Bookworm, and "Din't I say to make my abilities Average in the next live?.
And also started to read "Tensei Shitara Slime Datta Ken ( That' time I got reincarnated as Slime") I think this will be my next serie to buy. :p
貴族院の自称図書委員 :smoke:
The Royal Academy Library is under the the administration of royalty, ​and its books are subsequently the property of royalty.
Those who do not return their books before leaving the Academy will be deemed criminals, and their Aub will be informed of this in the name of the King.
From that point, we will activate the contract magic, for the vow of Mestionora the goddess of wisdom will have been broken.
:nod:

| 歩歩歩歩歩歩歩歩歩 | 
|  角     飛    |
| 香桂銀金王金銀桂香 |

My Army is ready! ... but, what about yours?

Spoiler:  
My Nintendo Switch Friend code: 5732-2848-3981

Viper Xord

Post by Viper Xord » 11 Mar 2020, 19:34

Well I'm Done With True Martial World And Peerless Martial God.I'm Now On Martial God Asura,Peerless Martial God 2,Peerless Battle Spirit,Limitless Sword God And Imperial God Emperor.
Guys You Ought To Read This Set Of Books.They Are Damn Interesting And Will Keep You Glued To Your Phone.

JUST TRY THEM OUT