Light novels chat and recommendations

Discuss anime and manga in here! From fully-fledged otaku, to new people to the genres, feel free to discuss!

Moderators: Expendable, Ojisama, Beex

Tanya
Bookworm Member
Bookworm Member
Japan

Post by Tanya » 17 Apr 2021, 15:17

Inglis might be too OP. Turns out she's stronger then a Unique Artifact, supposedly the most powerful Artifacts there are. Of course at least Inglis has a limit too how long she can use it. That does make her a little less OP. But at least there's actually a good story mechanic as to why she's OP unlike many others. Your OP just because you are the main character. Okay lets move one is the norm which is kind of of dumb, but pretty much accepted as things are. With Inglis she worked her way up to become a Hero King in her previous life and yes she given power by a goddess but went through an entire life of overcoming one hardship after another becoming an Epic Hero and King. She didn't lose any of her memories or abilities when she was reborn. So Inglis being OP makes sense.

The twist is sort of interesting as she does not want fame or become part of any cause. She does wish to protect her cousin though. And probably her family too, mostly her cousin though that's her age. She's trusting her cousin to keep her unique abilities secret.

So onto some spoilers. Not that the above had a few spoilers in them but they were mostly my opinions.

Speculations
  Spoiler:  
So the Highlanders and Magicite beasts seem to be connected somehow. Highlanders unlike other humans can be changed into Magicite beasts. Does the Rune that allows humans to use Artifacts somehow make humans immune to the affects and because Highlanders don't use them they are affected?

Are Highlanders in the Sky because it does affect them? I'm thinking yes. Though they may be spreading the magicites that fall from the sky that creates the magicite beasts but I'm guessing this isn't true. But it does mean Highlanders will never want to conquer land as the Sky is their only safe haven. Highlanders are the only ones who can use mana and I'm sure having the Runes that allow the humans on land to use Artifacts prevents them from using Mana. However, if the Highlanders were responsible long ago they would have had a war with the Land bound humans as they would discovered such a plot near when it all started most likely. So this idea seems flimsy even though it seems to be believed now. However, the Highlanders seem to be rotten and greedy so it's only natural to believe this to be true that they spread the magicite that turns creatures into magicite beasts. However I believe Highlanders weren't originally like that and many years have changed things they are today.

I believe in the beginning there were no Highlanders and an evil god created the magicite rains and it affected both humans and beasts and turned them into monsters. The humans then got together and figured out why it affected them and beasts and was because they had mana and lot of it. It may be that it wasn't an evil god but an overflow of mana use by the people that caused the magicite rains in other words it's mana pollution. Anyways they discovered if they were able to suppress mana in some way humans would become immune to being transformed into magicite beasts or at become highly resistant to them. Through research they discovered that they could concentrate all of one's mana into a Rune and when placed on a human they'd no longer be able to be affected by raw mana as all their mana was focused into the Rune which protected them. But it also made them unable to use mana personally. It made it where they could only use specialized magic tools which became known as artifacts. Those humans who had little mana could not use these Runes though and therefore could not use Artifacts.

But because they could not use Mana any longer at became common place a division occurred and the fact the Artifacts had to have someone who could manipulate mana to create them the Highlanders were born. It comprised of those who wished to continued to use mana and those who wish to create the tools needed to fight against the magicite beasts. Over the centuries, however, the truth was forgotten and the Highlanders and those on land grew distant from each other and the HIghlanders came to believe they were superior because they could use mana. I'm sure the truth is still around to be discovered and perhaps a few know it. I'm thinking magicite is a pollution of using too much mana is probably true, but this probably mostly lost knowledge too, but it would explain why Highlanders live in a city in the clouds that keeps moving, to spread the pollution of them still using mana.

Next though because I believe the other is true taking out Highlanders would prove disastrous and Inglis will need to get involved anyways and stop this from occurring as the rebels have grown in numbers and strength to where they might will probably become a real threat to the Highlanders.
本好きの下剋上

TrashM
Standard Member
Great Britain

Achievements

Post by TrashM » 28 Apr 2021, 16:28

Where do people read light novels?
"Do not store up for yourselvs treasures on Earth, where moths and vermin destroy, and where theives break in and steal".

Matthew 6:19

Tanya
Bookworm Member
Bookworm Member
Japan

Post by Tanya » 28 Apr 2021, 16:43

There are a few different areas to read them.

But where I read them is at J-Novel, need to be a member with a paid monthly subscription though. Of course they only have Light Novels they published, but they are publishing quite a few and ones I like so I believe it's worth it.
本好きの下剋上

Melancholy Angel
Great Britain

Achievements

Post by Melancholy Angel » 29 Apr 2021, 20:32

The only light novels I've read were on kindle (The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya series and a book or two of Spice and Wolf) but the selection isn't very large.

Ekkun
Standard Member
Spain

Achievements

Post by Ekkun » 11 May 2021, 14:38

TrashM wrote:
28 Apr 2021, 16:28
Where do people read light novels?
I do as Lord Mayne.
At J-novel.club
So still ther plenty of FAN-editor websites to do it, and to have a better track on chaps you're reading than Anime-Planet, or M.A.L (where I'm mainly keeping my tracks along the Animes and few manga ...)
貴族院の自称図書委員 :smoke:
The Royal Academy Library is under the the administration of royalty, ​and its books are subsequently the property of royalty.
Those who do not return their books before leaving the Academy will be deemed criminals, and their Aub will be informed of this in the name of the King.
From that point, we will activate the contract magic, for the vow of Mestionora the goddess of wisdom will have been broken.
:nod:

| 歩歩歩歩歩歩歩歩歩 | 
|  角     飛    |
| 香桂銀金王金銀桂香 |

My Army is ready! ... but, what about yours?

Spoiler:  
My Nintendo Switch Friend code: 5732-2848-3981

Ekkun
Standard Member
Spain

Achievements

Post by Ekkun » 11 May 2021, 14:46

Melancholy Angel wrote:
29 Apr 2021, 20:32
The only light novels I've read were on kindle (The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya series and a book or two of Spice and Wolf) but the selection isn't very large.
@Melancholy Angel

I belief tha now days the offer is quite a lot more bigger, since Suzumiya Haruhi's went on sale.

as per example: Ascendance of a Bookworm, or even the whole Spice and Wolf series (21 Volumen).
貴族院の自称図書委員 :smoke:
The Royal Academy Library is under the the administration of royalty, ​and its books are subsequently the property of royalty.
Those who do not return their books before leaving the Academy will be deemed criminals, and their Aub will be informed of this in the name of the King.
From that point, we will activate the contract magic, for the vow of Mestionora the goddess of wisdom will have been broken.
:nod:

| 歩歩歩歩歩歩歩歩歩 | 
|  角     飛    |
| 香桂銀金王金銀桂香 |

My Army is ready! ... but, what about yours?

Spoiler:  
My Nintendo Switch Friend code: 5732-2848-3981

Momogari
Veteran Member
United States of America

Achievements

Post by Momogari » 12 May 2021, 03:11

After watching 3 episodes of the anime I immediately read 3 volumes of 86.

Just bought the 4th.
sig art by hiranko sticker credits: Yaji sazi Manoue

Tanya
Bookworm Member
Bookworm Member
Japan

Post by Tanya » 12 May 2021, 11:19

I have all my Light Novels on my Kindle. I mean the selection that’s probably small are the free ones. But there are sales which makes them less expensive. Further most kindles can be used to read PDF and Ebooks too.
本好きの下剋上

Keilonrich22
Standard Member
Great Britain

Achievements

Post by Keilonrich22 » 12 May 2021, 18:03

I have been reading the time I became a slime light novel I'm even more hyped for the new season :dance:
Keilonrich22
Master Otaku  Image

Momogari
Veteran Member
United States of America

Achievements

Post by Momogari » 02 Jun 2021, 01:59

Restart Again volume 3 is out on kindle unlimited.

It's a good one. English author. Novel quality writing. I mean it might as well be considered a fantasy novel.

Expendable
Veteran Member
United States of America

Post by Expendable » 04 Jun 2021, 02:08

Would "They called us enemy" be considered a light novel? It's basically a graphic biography about George Takei when he was a young boy at the start of WW2 and about his family got shipped to an internment camp.

Momogari
Veteran Member
United States of America

Achievements

Post by Momogari » 04 Jun 2021, 21:46

Yeah that sounds light.

Vivix
Veteran Member
Puerto Rico

Achievements

Post by Vivix » 05 Jun 2021, 16:45

I don't read Light Novels but the only one I was reading was After Being Rejected I Shaked And Took In A Highschool Runaway. Its really good and it has an anime now.

At the moment I am interested in trying to find the LN online for Eighty-Six.

Momogari
Veteran Member
United States of America

Achievements

Post by Momogari » 17 Jun 2021, 01:39

@Lord Myne have you read the Bofuri LN? Is it worth buying?

Hmm now that I think about it a lot of the value I found in it was the art, so maybe it's not worth it.

Tanya
Bookworm Member
Bookworm Member
Japan

Post by Tanya » 17 Jun 2021, 11:21

I have begun to read the first LN of Bofuri. I have not finished it yet.

The art is good, yes, that goes for the art in it too. I’ll finish the first LN and post here and let you know.
本好きの下剋上