Anime is not just for kids

Discuss anime and manga in here! From fully-fledged otaku, to new people to the genres, feel free to discuss!

Moderators: Expendable, Ojisama, Beex

Kamina87
Veteran Member
Wales

Achievements

Anime is not just for kids

Post by Kamina87 » 04 Dec 2019, 21:15

i recently started watch the time i got reincarnated as a slime the dub version

after a disgreement with family they came out with go back to watch your fanstay crap (pointing at the anime)

so i explained it an anime (i got the whole its for kids. BS)

So that got me thinking what the one Anime that Available to show parents that anime is not for kids.

ONE RULE

It has available to legal stream site/apps or will/has been shown on british TV (sorry to my international friends).

Momogari
Veteran Member
United States of America

Achievements

Re: Anime is not just for kids

Post by Momogari » 04 Dec 2019, 23:07

Devilman Crybaby. It's on netflix.
I mean, I wouldn't show that to your parents unless you're already in your 30s and chill with them. But it'd get the point across.

Violet Evergarden. On netflix.

Akira. It has to be somewhere.

Well shit, Attack on Titan. It's fucking everywhere.

Patema Inverted - I know its on british TV sometimes because [mention=14598]Naoki[/mention] saw it there.

March Comes in Like a Lion. It's on crunchyroll. That's a really good family show, actually.
sig art by hiranko sticker credits: Yaji sazi Manoue

Beex
Lucky Cat Member
Lucky Cat Member
United States of America

Post by Beex » 04 Dec 2019, 23:28

"You mess with the cat, you get the litter!"

╱|、b
(˚ˎ 。7 e
|、˜〵 e
じしˍ,)ノx

"Beep boop meow!" - Robo-Fortune, Skullgirls

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

The goddess Eris pads her chest.- Aqua

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

GFX by:Ioreth

Expendable
Veteran Member
United States of America

Post by Expendable » 05 Dec 2019, 01:02

Grave of the Fireflies.

Of course, they may decide anime's too much for kids after that.

Metropolis is another possibility. Or Memories.

Perfect Blue if they like murder mysteries.

Or Tokyo Godfathers. You can't watch a bunch of homeless people trying to return a baby to their parents on Christmas and think it's for kids.

unoduetre
Veteran Member
Poland

Achievements

Post by unoduetre » 05 Dec 2019, 01:47

[mention=100820]Kamina87[/mention]

First a silly text which might or might not apply to you. If it doesn't apply, don't read it.

Spoiler:  
You will not be able to convince someone who has already made their mind about something. One must have an open mind and must want to listen to arguments. So if your parents have made their mind already it might be better not to waste your time on trying to discuss with them. I don't know your situation and how old you are, but assuming a more or less average circumstances, you'll leave your parent's house in a couple of years. Your parents' complaints will disappear then, but anime will stay with you, if you want. So it might be smarter to just ignore them and do your thing anyway. If your parents are deaf to even the most reasonable arguments, just ignore them. Unless you watch some really nasty stuff or hentai (if you do, that's a different story, your parents may have something to say in order to protect you from harm), anime is not harmful to you or to anyone else, so it's not their business whether you like it or not.

OK, so the boring stuff is over, let's talk about anime…

I think your safest bet would be stuff which is culturally assumed to be for adults. The stuff people watch to "feel adult". (In other words, it's not important how complicated the plot is. It's more important that the characters wear suits and are employees, parents etc.)

Don't get me wrong, there are some good anime in this genre and I like many of them. But if you want to make a convincing argument, do not focus on the plot etc. Let me make a list of things which might be useful:

- the characters should be adults;
- the characters might be employed, things happen at work;
- there are some adult topics like e.g. parenting;
- characters wear suits etc.;
- there are no fantasy/science-fiction/horror/supernatural elements, everything is realistic;
- it's good if the show is a bit boring, people often confuse being an adult with being boring;
- historical is good because supposedly only adults watch historical shows

Let me see if I can find something matching some of these (not all, it'd be hard):

- Tokyo Godfathers
- Usagi Drop
- Shouwa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu
- Mirai no Mirai
- Joker Game
- 91 Days
- Otona Joshi no Anime Time
- Fune wo Amu (The Great Passage)
- Nodame Cantabile
- Jin Rou
- Babylon
- Death Parade
- Hakata Tonkotsu Ramens
- Wotakoi: Love is Hard for Otaku
- Monster
- Shigurui
- Eikoku Koi Monogatari Emma

I haven't checked which of these are easily available, but you should be able to find at least some.

Momogari
Veteran Member
United States of America

Achievements

Post by Momogari » 05 Dec 2019, 02:24

unoduetre wrote: - Shouwa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu
fuck yeah showa genroku rakugo shinjuu

sig art by hiranko sticker credits: Yaji sazi Manoue

Teeny
Light Blue Member
Light Blue Member
Great Britain

Post by Teeny » 05 Dec 2019, 03:22

I was going to suggest Monster too but not sure if it's on any legal streaming sites in UK or not.
・・・・・・・・・・・・・・・・・・
Click above to join me in Joestar Clan

Teeny
Light Blue Member
Light Blue Member
Great Britain

Post by Teeny » 05 Dec 2019, 03:28

Expendable wrote:Grave of the Fireflies.

I just watched this for the first time tonight, someone at work told me too.
Gosh, it's a sad story :c
・・・・・・・・・・・・・・・・・・

BlessingOC
Great Britain

Post by BlessingOC » 05 Dec 2019, 08:28

I agree with the looking adult and professional, telling deep stories that are obviously too heavy for kids. Showing them Attack on Titan could just get the answer of "so it's got gore... The people shout and scream and wine like kids, the fantasy is for kids. It's a kids show that kids should not watch"
(this is not my opinion on AoT but its how I can imagine the answer)
Animes that others have mentioned that are thoughtful or beautiful art make much more sense to prove its for adults then just being an anime with scream loud characters and gore.
What about throwing a curve ball and saying to watch Boku dake ga Inai Machi the Live Action version instead of the anime. If they feel it's for adults (which although being about kids it definitely handles adult themes) then tell them that it's actually from an anime.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  Spoiler:  

Tanya
Bookworm Member
Bookworm Member
Japan

Post by Tanya » 05 Dec 2019, 11:31

I would actually state most anime is not intended for kids, young adults is likely a primary target.

Noir is good example in my opinion and so is Rouruni Kenshin.

However, this belief is likely not to change.

I’d instead show statistics on the age of viewers, what the percentages are.
本好きの下剋上

Luffynatsu87
Veteran Member
Great Britain

Achievements

Post by Luffynatsu87 » 05 Dec 2019, 11:35

Well most of the anime i have watched is for adults or young adults not that many i have seen have been for kids really

unoduetre
Veteran Member
Poland

Achievements

Post by unoduetre » 05 Dec 2019, 12:20

Luffynatsu87 wrote:Well most of the anime i have watched is for adults or young adults not that many i have seen have been for kids really

You know it, I know it, but…

Teeny
Light Blue Member
Light Blue Member
Great Britain

Post by Teeny » 05 Dec 2019, 12:24

Luffynatsu87 wrote:Well most of the anime i have watched is for adults or young adults not that many i have seen have been for kids really

I think that is the point of the thread xD
・・・・・・・・・・・・・・・・・・

Pixiedora
Veteran Member
Great Britain

Achievements

Post by Pixiedora » 05 Dec 2019, 15:36

I'd say Terror in Resonance? I'm not sure where to watch it though (I'm too lazy to look right now :lol: )

PortgasDAce
Standard Member
United States of America

Achievements

Post by PortgasDAce » 05 Dec 2019, 22:41

Claymore, Akame ga Kill, Vinland Saga, Berserk, Yosuga no Sora, and probably a ton of other shows I can't think of at the moment. Oh, and Psycho Pass too!
“The nation that neglects social inequality, mischievously increases military budgets, and then uses its power internally to suppress the citizens on the pretext of invasion by an external enemy is on the road to extinction.”
 Yang Wen-Li.