Help with my next Anime

Discuss anime and manga in here! From fully-fledged otaku, to new people to the genres, feel free to discuss!

Moderators: Expendable, Ojisama, Beex

Seanogod
Great Britain

Help with my next Anime

Post by Seanogod » 31 Oct 2019, 09:41

I started watching Anime for the past few years now but as my cousin would say they are the basic ones like:

Tokyo ghoul
My hero academia
Death Note
Parasyte
One Punch Man
Attack On Titian
Full Metal alchemist ord and BH

And I want to branch out more. Could any one recommend me some anime to watch please.
Warning i'm Dub fan atm.

Thanks

unoduetre
Veteran Member
Poland

Achievements

Re: Help with my next Anime

Post by unoduetre » 31 Oct 2019, 09:55

@Seanogod

Hi!

Before we can recommend something you might like, we need to know more about your preferences.

Are there any genres you like in particular?

Here is a list of some genres to help you. You can also describe the genres you like in your own words.

Adventure
Action/Police/Detectives/Military
Martial Arts
Drama/Psychological
Slice of life
Historical/Samurai
Game-like
Fantasy/Magic/Other worlds
Supernatural/Demons/Vampires/Gods/Magic/Urban fantasy
Super powers/Superheroes
Science-fiction/Mecha
Horror/Thriller
Weird/Philosophical
Music
Comedy/Parody
Romance/Yaoi/Yuri
Romantic comedy
Harem/Ecchi/Beautiful men/women
School
Sports

Seanogod
Great Britain

Post by Seanogod » 31 Oct 2019, 10:34

Cool okay. Well at the moment I do enjoy my Super powers/Superheroes, Adventure, Action/Police/Detectives/Military. But for me after watching Tokyo ghoul and Parasyte I am liking my darker style with lots of emotional. I'm looking for more shows that I emotionally connect at the moment. If that makes scene.

unoduetre
Veteran Member
Poland

Achievements

Post by unoduetre » 31 Oct 2019, 10:39

[mention=116213]Seanogod[/mention]

Yup, I get what you mean.

I recommend Shiki to you. It's a dark anime with some strong emotions.

It's not a basic one, so you can advance to the next level, ha ha! :D

Let me think about some others you might like…

Shiki:

unoduetre
Veteran Member
Poland

Achievements

Post by unoduetre » 31 Oct 2019, 10:43

Shinsekai Yori

But watch out, this anime is not what it looks like. You must watch at least a couple of episodes to get it.

unoduetre
Veteran Member
Poland

Achievements

Post by unoduetre » 31 Oct 2019, 10:46

Elfen Lied

unoduetre
Veteran Member
Poland

Achievements

Post by unoduetre » 31 Oct 2019, 10:47

Hellsing Ultimate

unoduetre
Veteran Member
Poland

Achievements

Post by unoduetre » 31 Oct 2019, 10:48

Yeah, watch some of these and let us know, if you liked them. All of these are "non-basic" ones. :D

I don't know which of these got dubs, you need to check yourself.

Other people might recommend some of their favourites as well in this thread.

Momogari
Veteran Member
United States of America

Achievements

Post by Momogari » 31 Oct 2019, 15:00

I'll add Berserk (1997). I assume it has a dub. There's a newer movie trilogy version which is good based on the one I watched, and a very new TV anime remake that I heard is crap. The 1997 one is great.
Ajin fits well with Parasyte and Tokyo Ghoul. I've no idea if it has a dub though.

If you want a lot to watch in serious emotional military stories, get into Gundam. Almost all gundam series are self-contained, so you can start anywhere.

And because it's worth mentioning again, Shinsekai Yori was the best of its year. That's top shelf anime. You should watch it even if it doesn't have a dub.
sig art by hiranko sticker credits: Yaji sazi Manoue

Expendable
Veteran Member
United States of America

Post by Expendable » 31 Oct 2019, 16:21

You've watched Full Metal Alchemist, My Hero Acadamia, and One Punch, I'd suggest trying "Is it Wrong to try to Pick Up Girls in a Dungeon?", Fairy Tale, Sword Art Online, and No Game No Life

I second Momogari's suggestion of Ajin. You may also enjoy Assassination Classroom. Middle School students are tasked with killing their teacher - or else that teacher will destroy the world, he's already destroyed much of the Moon. And he'll be teaching them how to become assassins in order to pull it off, and giving the means to do it. It's a darker version of My Hero Academia.

For the detective/military, perhaps you'd like Cowboy Bebop - bounty hunters working in the future, shuttling between worlds via orbital gates. Ghost in the Shell is worth a mention too - very cyberpunk and full of action, Public Security Nine taking on various investigations. You don't have to watch the movie beforehand. Paranoia Agent is another investigative one - an artist is assaulted by a boy with a bent golden bat - and we are down the rabbit hole, getting weirder the longer you watch, full of psychological drama.

For the darker ones, try Deadman Wonderland - Prisoners are sent to an amusement part to entertain the crowds as they struggle to survive. A boy who survived the destruction of his classroom finds himself convicted for murdering his classmates - but they had another reason for wanting him there. Or Hell Girl - If someone has wronged you, and there's nobody you can turn to, there is the Hell Correspondence website, which only becomes active at midnight. Your tormentor will be dragged off to Hell - but the price is your soul, to be paid when you die.

I'd also suggest Victoria Evergarden - a girl used as a weapon in a war, who is trying to adjust to civilian life. It's slow, but it builds to a very action ending.

Seanogod
Great Britain

Post by Seanogod » 31 Oct 2019, 16:38

Thanks everyone I will look at these when I get home(at work atm the moment)

And if any one else whats to add to my list please do :)

Teeny
Light Blue Member
Light Blue Member
Great Britain

Post by Teeny » 31 Oct 2019, 16:41

Momogari wrote:I'll add Berserk (1997). I assume it has a dub. There's a newer movie trilogy version which is good based on the one I watched, and a very new TV anime remake that I heard is crap. The 1997 one is great.

Berserk 1997 is very good if you enjoy medieval/action/dark/gore, it has a dub. It's one of my favourite animes. The original series and movies are really good, the 2016 and 2017 I wouldn't really recommend.
・・・・・・・・・・・・・・・・・・
Click above to join me in Joestar Clan

Luffynatsu87
Veteran Member
Great Britain

Achievements

Post by Luffynatsu87 » 02 Nov 2019, 08:04

The attachment 3zRfZuR73AmwvGqpKjF80qo0Ypu.jpg is no longer available
this one of first early anime it was very good watch
Attachments
3zRfZuR73AmwvGqpKjF80qo0Ypu.jpg
3zRfZuR73AmwvGqpKjF80qo0Ypu.jpg (123.53 KiB) Viewed 767 times