Assassins Pride

Discuss anime and manga in here! From fully-fledged otaku, to new people to the genres, feel free to discuss!

Moderators: Expendable, Ojisama, Beex

unoduetre
Veteran Member
Poland

Achievements

Assassins Pride

Post by unoduetre » 17 Oct 2019, 20:26

[attachment=1]101026l.jpg[/attachment]

[video=youtube;Sopae5t4Ke8]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sopae5t4Ke8[/video]
[video=youtube;YZEykNNh1TY]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YZEykNNh1TY[/video][/align]
Attachments
101026l.jpg
101026l.jpg (69.76 KiB) Viewed 1138 times

UnmeiNoTenshi
Standard Member
Wales

Achievements

Re: Assassins Pride

Post by UnmeiNoTenshi » 17 Oct 2019, 20:52

The pacing is all over the place, and it's skipped quite a lot of content from the manga already in 2 episodes. While the manga took 11 chapters to get to the same point.

Unless it's following a light novel then it'll suffer from running out of content in just a few more episodes.

At this rate I might drop it, which is a shame since it could be a great series if done right.

unoduetre
Veteran Member
Poland

Achievements

Post by unoduetre » 17 Oct 2019, 21:06

[mention=20620]UnmeiNoTsubasa[/mention]

Oh, so that's why many things seem to be missing. Thanks for the info, I will definitely check either the manga or the LN now!

UnmeiNoTenshi
Standard Member
Wales

Achievements

Post by UnmeiNoTenshi » 17 Oct 2019, 21:10

Yeah they skipped all the training she does, and they changed the tournament from pre-semester to end of semester

unoduetre
Veteran Member
Poland

Achievements

Post by unoduetre » 17 Oct 2019, 21:37

Was it ever explained why he risks his career (and maybe life) for her?

UnmeiNoTenshi
Standard Member
Wales

Achievements

Post by UnmeiNoTenshi » 17 Oct 2019, 21:41

I'd have to re-read the manga from the start (only 20 chapters so won't take that long) to say for sure but I think it's because her determination reminds him of himself

unoduetre
Veteran Member
Poland

Achievements

Post by unoduetre » 17 Oct 2019, 21:43

OK, thanks! That's very helpful. I think this important piece of information was missing from the anime.

Momogari
Veteran Member
United States of America

Achievements

Post by Momogari » 17 Oct 2019, 23:51

Nerva is the second unbelievable character.

Does Melida have a character yet or is she just fluff?

What were the rules for that tournament even?

And yes we didn't see any training.

The interesting plot the first episode worked so hard to put in place is now...the same place it was. At least the interesting parts of it. that or they're shoved to the side to make this new butler dude. the intricate plot was a good point but now it looks like it'll be wasted.

So far this anime is a mess.
sig art by hiranko sticker credits: Yaji sazi Manoue

unoduetre
Veteran Member
Poland

Achievements

Post by unoduetre » 17 Oct 2019, 23:56

[mention=6444]Momogari[/mention]

Yeah, it didn't move at all. We are exactly at the same place as after the first episode.

What is your gut feeling about this? Will all the art, music, atmosphere and the world be wasted because of the crap pretending to be a plot, or maybe things will get better later on?

Momogari
Veteran Member
United States of America

Achievements

Post by Momogari » 18 Oct 2019, 00:29

I don't seem to have a strong gut feeling about this one. If this wasn't based on a manga or LN I'd say it was going to be shallowly entertaining visuals with poorly made characters and a plot that's questionable at best. That's what a lot of people say about SAO, come to think of it. I like SAO, but I feel like I'm getting the same feeling from this show that people who don't like SAO got from SAO.

(not including Alicization. I won't fuss about the original, but you should really watch that one.)

But it is based on a manga and/or LN. I understand that they're just doing an absolute shit job of it. So the question is whether the plot can be enjoyable in spite of its producers. And I don't know, because I don't know the plot.

You know though, if this show ends up not focusing at all on the fact that he was going to kill her, then I won't be able to help but think the source must be yet immature as a storyteller.

I don't know, but I definitely am less hopeful about this show now than I was yesterday.
sig art by hiranko sticker credits: Yaji sazi Manoue

unoduetre
Veteran Member
Poland

Achievements

Post by unoduetre » 18 Oct 2019, 00:41

[mention=6444]Momogari[/mention]

Thanks! It's a very valuable input. The author indeed might be immature. I think it's his/her first book (there is only this one listed on MAL, unless it's a pseudonym or something). But as UnmeiNoTsubasa said, a lot has been cut out and there were some small changes.

I really don't know what to think about this anime.

I expected more to be resolved in this episode, but it just looked like a pretty standard episode of a magic-school type anime.

I'm confused.

unoduetre
Veteran Member
Poland

Achievements

Post by unoduetre » 24 Oct 2019, 22:28

It's time to find out, if this show goes anywhere. :P

UnmeiNoTenshi
Standard Member
Wales

Achievements

Post by UnmeiNoTenshi » 24 Oct 2019, 22:57

This episode was slightly more in line with what the manga showed, however it seems like they're going to be skipping more stuff in order to get to the next event that is only just happening in the manga.

Spoiler:  
They skipped a more detailed explanation of his origin, such as him surviving outside the city and travelling towards it when he was a kid.

unoduetre
Veteran Member
Poland

Achievements

Post by unoduetre » 24 Oct 2019, 23:28

Oh, thanks. It seems they're skipping a lot of stuff. I think it might be more fruitful to read the LN. The LN seems to be good based on the fragments used in this anime. I also think this show has a problem with direction. Some moments are not as exciting as they could be. The pacing is uneven. And because they skipped so much it's also not very clear.

For example this episode could probably take like 3 episodes, if they went into all the details of his past and made the fights more exciting etc. They could take longer to build the excitement and then release it. It would be more fun this way. But the way it is directed, the excitement is not that big. You know, in some long-running shounens one fight can take many episodes, which is another extreme. But I think this show should really have more episodes. Or they should just adapt less source material at once.

What do you think?

unoduetre
Veteran Member
Poland

Achievements

Post by unoduetre » 24 Oct 2019, 23:32

But at least it's now clear why he's risking his life for her.

Spoiler:  
It's because she's from the same social class and she might change how things are. It's actually a good reason to do what he does.

Damn the LN seems to be good, I think I gonna stop watching this and read the LN or the manga.