[D] FIVES: Genres

Discuss anime and manga in here! From fully-fledged otaku, to new people to the genres, feel free to discuss!

Moderators: Expendable, Ojisama, Beex

Expendable
Veteran Member
United States of America

[D] FIVES: Genres

Post by Expendable » 08 Oct 2019, 00:48

What do your favorite animes (or mangas) share in common? Are they scifi? Slice of life? Drama? Romantic Comedy? Fantasy? Supernatural?

Tell us here!

1. Science Fiction - got to love science fiction.
2. Military - especially ships.
3. Slice of Life - getting a peek into someone's life is always revealing
4. Romantic Comedy - I really like it when it's fun.
5. Supernatural - While I'm not keen on zombies, just about anything else is easy to throw my way.

Beex
Lucky Cat Member
Lucky Cat Member
United States of America

Re: [D] FIVES: Genres

Post by Beex » 08 Oct 2019, 14:26

Slice of Life
Comedy/Romantic
Sci-fi
Supernatural
Magical Girl

No real order here. A lot of shows I like fit into more than one of these categories.

"You mess with the cat, you get the litter!"

╱|、b
(˚ˎ 。7 e
|、˜〵 e
じしˍ,)ノx

"Beep boop meow!" - Robo-Fortune, Skullgirls

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

The goddess Eris pads her chest.- Aqua

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

GFX by:Ioreth

unoduetre
Veteran Member
Poland

Achievements

Post by unoduetre » 08 Oct 2019, 14:51

Philosophical - (by this I mean anime which says something interesting about more general stuff beyond its direct elements like characters and what they do)

In no particular order:

Sci-fi - (many sci-fi has philosophical elements as well, e.g. when they show live on other planets, aliens or how technology can change people's lives)
Supernatural - (some supernatural anime also has philosophical elements, e.g. when they show how the world would look like and how people would live, if superpowers, magic, demons or other weird things existed)
Fantasy - (but not things like isekai, not game-like fantasy etc., some fantasy anime also has philosophical elements, e.g. when they show an alternative reality, like what would happen, how people would live, if magic existed in the world or different intelligent races with different lifespans etc.)
Magical girl - (you get the idea, right? I also like that magical girl anime often go deeper into the psychology of the characters, they are often given an important choice etc.)

So in general anime which is non-realistic, but which says something important about the real world.

Expendable
Veteran Member
United States of America

Post by Expendable » 10 Oct 2019, 03:11

Beex wrote:Slice of Life
Comedy/Romantic
Sci-fi
Supernatural
Magical Girl

No real order here. A lot of shows I like fit into more than one of these categories.

Yup, many anime have overlapping genres.

unoduetre wrote:Philosophical - (by this I mean anime which says something interesting about more general stuff beyond its direct elements like characters and what they do)

In no particular order:

Sci-fi - (many sci-fi has philosophical elements as well, e.g. when they show live on other planets, aliens or how technology can change people's lives)
Supernatural - (some supernatural anime also has philosophical elements, e.g. when they show how the world would look like and how people would live, if superpowers, magic, demons or other weird things existed)
Fantasy - (but not things like isekai, not game-like fantasy etc., some fantasy anime also has philosophical elements, e.g. when they show an alternative reality, like what would happen, how people would live, if magic existed in the world or different intelligent races with different lifespans etc.)
Magical girl - (you get the idea, right? I also like that magical girl anime often go deeper into the psychology of the characters, they are often given an important choice etc.)

So in general anime which is non-realistic, but which says something important about the real world.

Nice! So something like Sands of Destruction anime would fit?

unoduetre
Veteran Member
Poland

Achievements

Post by unoduetre » 10 Oct 2019, 03:20

Expendable wrote:Nice! So something like Sands of Destruction anime would fit?

Oh, I haven't seen it! I'll take a look. Thanks!

Expendable
Veteran Member
United States of America

Post by Expendable » 10 Oct 2019, 22:02

Hope you like it!