Autumn 2019 Anime Summaries and Opinions

Discuss anime and manga in here! From fully-fledged otaku, to new people to the genres, feel free to discuss!

Moderators: Expendable, Ojisama, Beex

unoduetre
Veteran Member
Poland

Achievements

Re: Autumn 2019 Anime Summaries and Recommendations

Post by unoduetre » 14 Oct 2019, 01:15

drill wrote:[mention=107568]unoduetre[/mention]
I'll consider it i guess? While I watch a decent amount each season, I'm much more of a manga person tbh, so my opinion changes considerably on how faithful it can adapt the manga, and on the off chance its better than it.

:)

unoduetre
Veteran Member
Poland

Achievements

Post by unoduetre » 14 Oct 2019, 01:15

OK, it's time to watch more anime. :)

Momogari
Veteran Member
United States of America

Achievements

Post by Momogari » 14 Oct 2019, 02:20

I was watching Argevollen but now I kinda want to rewatch Naruto again.

I had thought I'd seen Argevollen before but now I don't think I had.
sig art by hiranko sticker credits: Yaji sazi Manoue

drill
Veteran Member
United States of America

Achievements

Post by drill » 14 Oct 2019, 02:51

[mention=107568]unoduetre[/mention]

If you could add these when you get a chance.

Welcome to Demon School! Iruma-kun

Spoiler:  
While this show has sacrificed the development of its characters so far, it has already announced as a 2 cour series, so I feel like they have much more time to add specific character arcs later in the series if they choose to do so when comparing to other shows this season. The show has stayed consistently hilarious with off the wall events that only add to the continuing misunderstanding of Iruma's abilities. Comedies based on misunderstandings are really hard to do, and this one nails it in my opinion. While I do worry that we might end up with a comedy show that never develops its characters, I still have an overall positive outlook on the show as a whole as long as it maintains this level of comedy.

ORESUKI Are you the only one who loves me?

Spoiler:  
While this markets itself as a misunderstanding comedy, it really falls short in comparison to Iruma-kun as everything is extremely predictable. However, I think it's strength lies in the potential of the fake mask he wears in front of most of everyone, and the fact that it's not trying to be a serious romance with being a misunderstanding comedy. If this becomes just a library girl manipulates MC so his secret doesn't get out though, it'll go down hill very fast imo. I really hope we get more of his unfiltered internal monologue in future episodes as well.

Didn't I Say to Make My Abilities Average in the Next Life?!

Spoiler:  
Easily the most disappointing show of this season starting out with a full anime original episode that completely butchers the LN and Manga, and this is when the manga had already taken out the entire beginning arc of the LN... Also, that flying yellow thing, Nano? Yeah, that annoying thing is not a character in the source material. As for animation, it appears that project No.9 stretched themselves way too thin in doing both this and High School Prodigies this season with this show taking the short end of the stick. I really do not have much hope of this show improving.

CHOYOYU!: High School Prodigies Have It Easy Even in Another World!

Spoiler:  
Extremely faithful to the source material, although the first episode was super rocky. The second episode is a much better demonstration of how this show plays out. One of the 7 does something they are really good at, and everyone in that world is unprepared. Tbh, I think this show is going to end before they get to the more complex interpersonal relationships between the 7, and that is when it actually starts getting far more interesting, so likely it'll just only be ok for the whole first season.

Cautious Hero: The Hero Is Overpowered but Overly Cautious

Spoiler:  
I was really skeptical about this one for the first episode. The animation gives off a Konosuba vibe to it, and tbh, the original premise can be compared to such a show, but deviates a lot from Konosuba really fast. What makes this show great is the hero's ability to make unpopular decisions even if he is hated for it, so he actually achieves his goal of being able to go back to his world. He's not about to get provoked like the generic Isekai protagonist and then just magically overcome his battles through the power of friendship, but instead just beat down the enemy with pure skill and preparation. I feel like this was a breath of fresh air for the Isekai genre as a whole, and am looking forward to what is coming next.

drill
Veteran Member
United States of America

Achievements

Post by drill » 14 Oct 2019, 03:03

I'll probably also be watching Ascendance of a Bookworm and Assassins Pride eventually as well.

unoduetre
Veteran Member
Poland

Achievements

Post by unoduetre » 14 Oct 2019, 03:06

OK

unoduetre
Veteran Member
Poland

Achievements

Post by unoduetre » 14 Oct 2019, 03:21

[mention=84697]drill[/mention]

I've added all your opinions besides the last one, because I haven't created a neutral description for it yet. I gonna add it after I do it. If I forget, please, remind me.

EDIT: Screw that, I gonna add it now, so I don't forget.

drill
Veteran Member
United States of America

Achievements

Post by drill » 14 Oct 2019, 03:23

[mention=107568]unoduetre[/mention] had a feeling that was the case and was just going to let you add it whenever, thanks for adding them ^^

drill
Veteran Member
United States of America

Achievements

Post by drill » 14 Oct 2019, 06:13

[mention=107568]unoduetre[/mention]

Ascendance of a Bookworm

Spoiler:  
I wasn't even going to watch this one this season, but thought I would give it a try, and really glad I did. While Main's obsession with books can almost be a bit silly at times considering her actual mental age, they play off of this really well for world building purposes tied together with the former Main being too weak to have experienced much of anything outside before. The group of friends kinda reminds me of If It's for My Daughter, I'd Even Defeat a Demon Lord, not one to one, but they definitely give off a similar vibe. It's really nice to see an animated Isekai that isn't focused on defeating something, and really looking forward to what else the show has to offer.

Assassins Pride

Spoiler:  
Too many inconsistencies in the plot to really shine. A highly trained assassin who goes soft at the last minute in a world where basically humanity is on the verge of extinction, but there is an extreme level of infighting still? Also, not really sure how they were able to build such a place before they all got killed by monsters. If there were several cities left (and it would be an interesting plot twist if there was), it would have been interesting to see that kind of arrogance and the decline of the human race due to that and other factors, but instead we have a school setting where an assassin is risking his own life because he intentionally failed his job. I think the show had potential if it did its world building correctly, but it just feels like it will focus entirely on keeping the secret instead which is unfortunate really as it feels like wasted potential.

unoduetre
Veteran Member
Poland

Achievements

Post by unoduetre » 14 Oct 2019, 06:34

Added.

unoduetre
Veteran Member
Poland

Achievements

Post by unoduetre » 14 Oct 2019, 06:36

I wonder if Assassin's Pride solves its problems later. I think it might be too early to say. The main character might either turn out to be a fool or a real badass. If he turns out to be a fool, this gonna go downhill, I think.

The way how it can be saved is that he must be so smart and powerful that he can afford making his own decisions. Let's call it an Übermensch card.

They can also play a romantic hero or a naive fool cards. Both would probably turn this show into crap.

Tanya
Bookworm Member
Bookworm Member
Japan

Post by Tanya » 14 Oct 2019, 22:41

I like the idea of having several opinions on Anime shows, that's a neat idea.

It allows us to get a better perspective on it.

Though I'd have to state I'd prefer an opinion of non layman on these.

It's why always check this thread out at the beginning of each season.

It's true, I'm not that active here, but I haven't really been active on AL at all.
本好きの下剋上

Tanya
Bookworm Member
Bookworm Member
Japan

Post by Tanya » 14 Oct 2019, 22:44

Didn't I Say to Make My Abilities Average in the Next Life?!
  Spoiler:  
I've read all of the LNs and it is one of my favorite LN so I definitely have the next one on order. However, the LN/Manga is not the same thing as the anime. They are running this anime with a bunch of puns from others.
So watch it for laughs and interesting anime puns, don't watch it for any type of serious plot. So far I've enjoyed this show looking at this way, but I'd still read the LN over watching the anime.

As for other Anime, I haven't gotten to around to watching them yet.
本好きの下剋上

unoduetre
Veteran Member
Poland

Achievements

Post by unoduetre » 14 Oct 2019, 22:51

[mention=1132]Ran Kami[/mention]

Just let me know if you want to watch a lot of first episodes of anime in this season. Otherwise you can just publish things in your posts in this thread as you did above. Cheers!

Tanya
Bookworm Member
Bookworm Member
Japan

Post by Tanya » 14 Oct 2019, 22:53

It depends on if I get the opportunity to watch some more.
本好きの下剋上