Fruits Basket (2019)

Discuss anime and manga in here! From fully-fledged otaku, to new people to the genres, feel free to discuss!

Moderators: Expendable, Ojisama, Beex

unoduetre
Veteran Member
Poland

Achievements

Fruits Basket (2019)

Post by unoduetre » 26 Apr 2019, 04:50

[ATTACH=CONFIG]58878[/ATTACH]

[video=youtube;80oOmZSMlx0]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=80oOmZSMlx0[/video]

Genre: Supernatural. School. Reverse harem. Shoujo.

Synopsis (from MAL)

After a family tragedy turns her life upside down, 16-year-old high schooler Tooru Honda takes matters into her own hands and moves out... into a tent! Unfortunately for her, she pitches her new home on private land belonging to the mysterious Souma clan, and it isn't long before the owners discover her secret. But, as Tooru quickly finds out when the family offers to take her in, the Soumas have a secret of their own‚ when hugged by the opposite sex, they turn into the animals of the Chinese Zodiac!

unoduetre
Veteran Member
Poland

Achievements

Re: Fruits Basket (2019)

Post by unoduetre » 27 Apr 2019, 00:15

Is the true form like Super Saiyan? We'll see!

unoduetre
Veteran Member
Poland

Achievements

Post by unoduetre » 27 Apr 2019, 00:20

Oh, yaoi!

unoduetre
Veteran Member
Poland

Achievements

Post by unoduetre » 27 Apr 2019, 00:25

[ATTACH=CONFIG]58889[/ATTACH]

Now you know what is your greatest dream (if you're a girl)! It'd be difficult to understand without this anime. This anime is so helpful. It teaches and entertains.

unoduetre
Veteran Member
Poland

Achievements

Post by unoduetre » 27 Apr 2019, 00:30

We have a true warrior as well.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]58890[/ATTACH]

unoduetre
Veteran Member
Poland

Achievements

Post by unoduetre » 27 Apr 2019, 00:32

[ATTACH=CONFIG]58891[/ATTACH]

She totally agrees:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]58892[/ATTACH]

unoduetre
Veteran Member
Poland

Achievements

Post by unoduetre » 01 May 2019, 16:17

[mention=737]Vivix[/mention]

So how is the new version in comparison with the old one? What are the differences? What is similar?

Vivix
Veteran Member
Puerto Rico

Achievements

Post by Vivix » 01 May 2019, 16:38

The story telling is similar to the original anime. Not much has changed in these first episodes (granted it will change as we draw closer to what used to be the ending of the original). The english dub voice actors are in their majority the same, which I am happy about. They did an amazing job in the first series and having them reprise their roles makes this even better. The voices have changed though, so its evident they have used their experience over the years to improve their characters. The name pronunciation changed in the dub now and its more accurate to how the names are said in japanese.

Differences are in the small details. For example, the original anime opening scene has Tohru in her winter uniform. In the manga she has the summer uniform. Which is a small but important detail when it comes to the seasons and timelines since some of the turning points happen in a summer trip about a year after the story begins. Another tiny but equally as crucial detail is the hat. The hat is sooooooooo important later on as it connects Tohru, Kyo, and Yuki, Its one of the most important points in their development. Kyo's beads color is now the same as how they were in the original manga. And even Tohru's eyes are the color they were originally drawn to be.

The art and animation is also vastly different. Natsuki Takaya requsted it as so. Despite that it still harbors that familiar art from the manga we've come to love over the years. The original anime was beautiful in its own way back on its own time. But compared to this one, naturally, its overshadowed. This animation is so crisp and bright. The characters expressions have been highlighted more. For example, Yuki is a very complicated character who struggles a lot with self confidence. In the original that is said and implied, but it's not as emphasized in his own expressions. Here you can clearly see his change in face, demeanor, and even voice. In Kyo's case, he is a very awkward and shy character with his own inner demons. In episode 4, the most recent one, you can vividly see that side of him better as opposed to the original.

The overall tone remains cute and cheery in this early episodes just as it was in the original and in the manga, but the slight changes in certain scenes, the character's own expressions, and even the way the voice actors play them make it evident that the story is deeper than that. The original anime had a mostly cheery and optimistic vibe with some sad scenes here and there. Still emotional. But it didn't graze the surface of how dark the story becomes later on. And the atmosphere it portrayed wouldn't have done it justice. This time around the way everything is done makes it clear that eventually the tone will change and it will get dark and emotional and very complex.

I'm definitely happy and pleased with this. It brought so much nostalgia from my teenage years when I religiously read the manga every month they were released and bought the original anime DVDs. Ever since the manga ended 13 years ago I knew a reboot was needed for this series but lost all hope of it ever being done. I may or may not have cried on the first episode knowing I will finally see the whole story animated.

unoduetre
Veteran Member
Poland

Achievements

Post by unoduetre » 01 May 2019, 16:57

[mention=737]Vivix[/mention]

I'm waiting for the story to get darker and more complicated. So far it's a pretty standard reverse harem shoujo. But based on your post, it will change soon. That's good. :)

I haven't seen the old version and I haven't read the manga, so this is my first encounter with this series.

I watch it subbed, btw.

I think the art is pretty good and I like it so far. :)

Vivix
Veteran Member
Puerto Rico

Achievements

Post by Vivix » 01 May 2019, 17:18

As Tohru meets the Sohmas and hears their different stories, it gets more emotional and she learns the curse is not so simple. The turning point starts with Kyo's true form (as Kagura implied in the last episode), and it keeps escalating from then on. So I can safely say that once you hit that point in the story, you'll start seeing the darker parts of the Sohma curse. And you'll see its far from a reverse harem shoujo.

The original anime is still good to watch. Its one of the most beloved early 2000s series.

Vivix
Veteran Member
Puerto Rico

Achievements

Post by Vivix » 01 May 2019, 17:26

Here is an example of the difference in the animation.
Both are the same scene from last episode when Kyo and Tohru talk on the roof

unoduetre
Veteran Member
Poland

Achievements

Post by unoduetre » 01 May 2019, 17:32

Yeah, almost 20 years makes a difference. :D

Tanya
Bookworm Member
Bookworm Member
Japan

Post by Tanya » 02 May 2019, 01:10

I like the new Fruits Basket.

It’s pretty much the same. The small differences are good mostly.
本好きの下剋上

unoduetre
Veteran Member
Poland

Achievements

Post by unoduetre » 03 May 2019, 23:44

Hmm, the dialogue with her family was pretty retarded.

unoduetre
Veteran Member
Poland

Achievements

Post by unoduetre » 03 May 2019, 23:54

But the end of the episode was good. :)