My 14 day trial of Crunchyroll expires tomorrow, should I renew?

Discuss anime and manga in here! From fully-fledged otaku, to new people to the genres, feel free to discuss!

Moderators: Expendable, Ojisama, Beex

Rich-Allen1976
Dark Blue Member
Dark Blue Member
Great Britain

Achievements

Post by Rich-Allen1976 » 10 Dec 2022, 13:23

Above.

There's some good stuff on it but I'm loath to spend another £7 a month on a streaming service I probably won't use that much.

Thoughts?

"He's not the Messiah, he's a very naughty boy!" (Michael Palin in Monty Python's "Life of Brian")
"I am speaking UK English in a Sheffield accent!" (Me most of the time I'm on the landline or mobile)

Ojisama
Veteran Member
Great Britain

Post by Ojisama » 10 Dec 2022, 13:50

If you put it like that, No it's not worth it.

The issue with services like Crunchyroll is that they are seasonally driven. One season they have loads of great series. Another, not so many. What really matters is their Back Catalogue. If they have loads of older titles that you can visit/re-watch, your money is well spent, as you have something to follow even when the new stuff is less than inspirational.
To those just starting on the journey of life I say...
Bang your own drum. Walk your own path. Live wildly. Love fiercely. 
As you near the end, look back with no regrets.

Ioreth
Veteran Member
United States of America

Achievements

Post by Ioreth » 10 Dec 2022, 14:11

Get your moneys worth if that is a lot for you to pay. I don't have time to binge as much anime as I once did so I watch them slowly when I have free time because the sub cost isn't a big deal to me. I like having it at my fingertips and watching on a whim but if you've exhausted your options, then yes. Rewatch some box sets or DVD's you have and return to Crunchy at a later date? Go to the library and read manga for a change? :shrug:

Rich-Allen1976
Dark Blue Member
Dark Blue Member
Great Britain

Achievements

Post by Rich-Allen1976 » 10 Dec 2022, 14:17

Ioreth wrote:
10 Dec 2022, 14:11
Get your moneys worth if that is a lot for you to pay. I don't have time to binge as much anime as I once did so I watch them slowly when I have free time because the sub cost isn't a big deal to me. I like having it at my fingertips and watching on a whim but if you've exhausted your options, then yes. Rewatch some box sets or DVD's you have and return to Crunchy at a later date? Go to the library and read manga for a change? :shrug:

Most of the Libraries round here are closed, I also don't speak Japanese so reading original Manga would be difficult.
"He's not the Messiah, he's a very naughty boy!" (Michael Palin in Monty Python's "Life of Brian")
"I am speaking UK English in a Sheffield accent!" (Me most of the time I'm on the landline or mobile)

Rich-Allen1976
Dark Blue Member
Dark Blue Member
Great Britain

Achievements

Post by Rich-Allen1976 » 10 Dec 2022, 16:27

I've just taken the plunge and signed up to the cheapest Premium account, fiver a month.

Ojisama
Veteran Member
Great Britain

Post by Ojisama » 10 Dec 2022, 17:49

richardallen1976 wrote:
10 Dec 2022, 14:17
Most of the Libraries round here are closed, I also don't speak Japanese so reading original Manga would be difficult.

There is a perfectly good Waterstones in Orchard Square that has a section of Manga translated into English. Also Forbidden Planet just off the Moor. Not sure if Sheffield Space Centre is still open, as I haven't seen them at any Cons for a couple of years. They might not have survived the Lockdowns. Sheffield Central Library is open at least 10 - 4 every day accept Sundays (just around the corner from the Lyceum).
To those just starting on the journey of life I say...
Bang your own drum. Walk your own path. Live wildly. Love fiercely. 
As you near the end, look back with no regrets.

Rich-Allen1976
Dark Blue Member
Dark Blue Member
Great Britain

Achievements

Post by Rich-Allen1976 » 10 Dec 2022, 19:05

Ojisama wrote:
10 Dec 2022, 17:49
richardallen1976 wrote:
10 Dec 2022, 14:17

There is a perfectly good Waterstones in Orchard Square that has a section of Manga translated into English. Also Forbidden Planet just off the Moor. Not sure if Sheffield Space Centre is still open, as I haven't seen them at any Cons for a couple of years. They might not have survived the Lockdowns. Sheffield Central Library is open at least 10 - 4 every day accept Sundays (just around the corner from the Lyceum).

I've been using Waterstones for years, including the one upstairs in Meadowhall, and up to about 11 years ago I was in the Central Library on Surrey St most weeks, although last I heard plans were afoot to turn it into a posh Hotel, even though there's the Mercure across the road.