Lily, Me and other disjointed ramblings [Ojisama]

Where you can keep a diary of your life. Only one topic per member, please!

Moderators: djd001, LikkleMel, Noodle

Ojisama
Veteran Member
Great Britain

Post by Ojisama » 26 Jan 2024, 00:31

LikkleMel wrote:
25 Jan 2024, 22:36
Question is that the Leeds festival in April? Cause I've seen adverts for it, but not much information about it has been said?

I've seen adverts as well. It says it is at the New Dock Hall AND the Armouries but no more than that at the moment. Only one floor plan on the website at the moment.

Looking at the pictures, I see a lot of familiar faces, so I'm wondering if it is run by the same people who used to do the Yorkshire Cosplay Con at Sheffield Arena. If so, I don't expect many "Star Guests," but musical and dance performances with anime themes, taiko drummers etc. Lot's of emphasis on Cosplay.
To those just starting on the journey of life I say...
Bang your own drum. Walk your own path. Live wildly. Love fiercely. 
As you near the end, look back with no regrets.

Rich-Allen1976
Dark Blue Member
Dark Blue Member
Great Britain

Achievements

Post by Rich-Allen1976 » 26 Jan 2024, 07:54

As much as I'd be willing to attend that, with it being the "other" company who know me as I've been going to their events since August 2013, they let me in free, but there's the price of getting up to Leeds and back, even with a disabled railcard.
"He's not the Messiah, he's a very naughty boy!" (Michael Palin in Monty Python's "Life of Brian")
"I am speaking UK English in a Sheffield accent!" (Me most of the time I'm on the landline or mobile)

LilMissLarBear
Violet Member
Violet Member
Great Britain

Post by LilMissLarBear » 26 Jan 2024, 16:36

LikkleMel wrote:
Question is that the Leeds festival in April? Cause I've seen adverts for it, but not much information about it has been said?

That the Anime festival? I heard something about that too just the advert though.

Lauren
VG mod
DM me if you have any questions!

LikkleMel
TimeLord Member
TimeLord Member
Great Britain

Post by LikkleMel » 29 Jan 2024, 05:02

Ojisama wrote:
26 Jan 2024, 00:31
LikkleMel wrote:

I've seen adverts as well. It says it is at the New Dock Hall AND the Armouries but no more than that at the moment. Only one floor plan on the website at the moment.

Looking at the pictures, I see a lot of familiar faces, so I'm wondering if it is run by the same people who used to do the Yorkshire Cosplay Con at Sheffield Arena. If so, I don't expect many "Star Guests," but musical and dance performances with anime themes, taiko drummers etc. Lot's of emphasis on Cosplay.

I remember the organizer of that they were quite nice and it would be good to see them back again to be fair
~Let our bodies lay, mark our hearts with shame
Let our blood in vain, you find God in pain~

Ojisama
Veteran Member
Great Britain

Post by Ojisama » 29 Jan 2024, 16:13

LikkleMel wrote:
29 Jan 2024, 05:02
Ojisama wrote:
LikkleMel wrote:

I remember the organizer of that they were quite nice and it would be good to see them back again to be fair

Yea. The YCC events were always good fun. I'll reach out to a contact and see if I can find out any news.

Rich-Allen1976
Dark Blue Member
Dark Blue Member
Great Britain

Achievements

Post by Rich-Allen1976 » 29 Jan 2024, 16:40

I didn't think the YCC was a thing any more? The first con I attended down at the Arena in August 2013 was one of theirs.
"He's not the Messiah, he's a very naughty boy!" (Michael Palin in Monty Python's "Life of Brian")
"I am speaking UK English in a Sheffield accent!" (Me most of the time I'm on the landline or mobile)

Ojisama
Veteran Member
Great Britain

Post by Ojisama » 30 Jan 2024, 23:18

Ojisama wrote:
29 Jan 2024, 16:13
LikkleMel wrote:
29 Jan 2024, 05:02
Ojisama wrote:

Yea. The YCC events were always good fun. I'll reach out to a contact and see if I can find out any news.

Okay, so it's not the same people. YCC don't have any plans for any Cons at the moment, as the principal organisers are busy on other projects, but haven't ruled out bringing them back.

Ojisama
Veteran Member
Great Britain

Post by Ojisama » 01 Feb 2024, 00:14

...and in other news.

Job search success. Looks like I will be starting a new job next week, having accepted a position on the Customer Service Team at a local shopping mall. just a temp. part-time position, but that leaves me plenty of time to spend here on the forums. Watch this space for more.

Rich-Allen1976
Dark Blue Member
Dark Blue Member
Great Britain

Achievements

Post by Rich-Allen1976 » 01 Feb 2024, 07:44

Ojisama wrote:
01 Feb 2024, 00:14
...and in other news.

Job search success. Looks like I will be starting a new job next week, having accepted a position on the Customer Service Team at a local shopping mall. just a temp. part-time position, but that leaves me plenty of time to spend here on the forums. Watch this space for more.

Well done old man.

Did you get your TKD teacher's license yet?

Ojisama
Veteran Member
Great Britain

Post by Ojisama » 07 Feb 2024, 22:57

Con season is upon us, and I already have one lined up for next weekend. Luckily, my new employers are very understanding, and have moved my shifts around so that I can go after-all.

Regular TKD training now underway after a long absence. Firstly I had to take a break after my spell in hospital, and then just as I restarted, the training hall was closed for 3 months after they discovered Dry Rot in the roof beams. My fitness has taken a real hit, and having to miss training due my new job isn't going to help. Once the weather gets warmer, I'll be able to get out and practice in the garden.

Rich-Allen1976
Dark Blue Member
Dark Blue Member
Great Britain

Achievements

Post by Rich-Allen1976 » 08 Feb 2024, 07:40

Ojisama wrote:
07 Feb 2024, 22:57
Con season is upon us, and I already have one lined up for next weekend. Luckily, my new employers are very understanding, and have moved my shifts around so that I can go after-all.

Regular TKD training now underway after a long absence. Firstly I had to take a break after my spell in hospital, and then just as I restarted, the training hall was closed for 3 months after they discovered Dry Rot in the roof beams. My fitness has taken a real hit, and having to miss training due my new job isn't going to help. Once the weather gets warmer, I'll be able to get out and practice in the garden.

What nights do you train? We do Sundays and Wednesdays 8 while 9 at Forge Valley sports centre, you'd be welcome to come up.

Ojisama
Veteran Member
Great Britain

Post by Ojisama » 08 Feb 2024, 20:51

Rich-Allen1976 wrote:
08 Feb 2024, 07:40
Ojisama wrote:

What nights do you train? We do Sundays and Wednesdays 8 while 9 at Forge Valley sports centre, you'd be welcome to come up.

Thanks for the invite, but I'm already out of the house 2/3 nights a week even when you don't count work. I used to train in Iaido at Forge Valley. Are they still there?

Rich-Allen1976
Dark Blue Member
Dark Blue Member
Great Britain

Achievements

Post by Rich-Allen1976 » 08 Feb 2024, 21:01

Ojisama wrote:
08 Feb 2024, 20:51
Rich-Allen1976 wrote:
Ojisama wrote:

Thanks for the invite, but I'm already out of the house 2/3 nights a week even when you don't count work. I used to train in Iaido at Forge Valley. Are they still there? 

Excuse my ignorance but what's Laido?

You'd have to check the website
Last edited by Ojisama on 08 Feb 2024, 21:05, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removed link

Ojisama
Veteran Member
Great Britain

Post by Ojisama » 08 Feb 2024, 21:28

Rich-Allen1976 wrote:
08 Feb 2024, 21:01
Ojisama wrote:
08 Feb 2024, 20:51
Rich-Allen1976 wrote:

Excuse my ignorance but what's Laido?

You'd have to check the website

I not L. Iaido is Martial Art based on the Samurai skills of drawing and using a Katana. Don't think "on the battlefield" (Kendo), think in the home/walking about town type of actions.

The Modern form is full of ritual, but in this video, you can still see the original sequences of draw and cut passed down from generations of Samurai.

Sorry, but the sound isn't in sinc.

Ojisama
Veteran Member
Great Britain

Post by Ojisama » 16 Feb 2024, 23:25

Ojisama wrote:
LikkleMel wrote:

...and now I've suddenly got adverts for a Con at Doncaster in July run by the same group.